TDK Scratchproof?????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fearless, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Fearless

Fearless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having decided to transfer 15 years of camcorder tape to DVD-R (thats err when I get my E55 back) I wondered if I should shell out the money to buy a whole load of TDK's Scratchproof DVD's.

http://www.tdk-europe.com/index.php?id=49&WYSESSID=g1r1hu7sovfan42qon994pj6l6

Given that I would want my Great Great Grandkids to see how we lived in the good 'ol days is it worth the expense to avoid DVD rot (myth?) and archive on these discs which seem to withstand a thermonuclear event??. (and the way our planets going it may not be such an improbable requirement)

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, really don't know if you should by or not those disks - think that maybe there are other members that can answer to that question better then me.

What I can really tell you is that I also transfer camcorder stuff (miniDV) to DVD. And these things I want them to last forever. So, what I simply do is always keep the original recordings on miniDV tape, in case something happens with that DVD.

So, I have a backup.
    If you want something to last forever ... imho ... always keep a backup.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing lasts forever! The best you can do is make sure your backup is stored on a different type of media and every so often make a backup of the backup!

4. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I record my camcorder stuff to DVD-R and keep a -RAM backup (makes it easier for me to run another copy on the DVD/HDD too) AND never write over the original tape.

Good practice to keep the backups at a separate location (work etc) in case of fire/flood/theft etc too.

5. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds good - according to TDK you can take kitchen steel wool to it with no effect! How much are they and where can you get them? Sounds like someone should review them!

6. Fearless

Fearless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    blankdiscshop do them alot cheaper - about £1.10 each (still an expensive disk though - you bould buy 3-4 Ridisc DVD-Rs for that price and have multiple backups!).

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Verbatims are half the price of the TDK as well ;-)

9. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that TDK have different name for different markets. I am in Asia, think the equivalent one is the Super hard coat DVD-R, it is very expensive, selling at SG$6/piece. I bought it to back up so videos, havent really drop or scratch the disc. But it looks study.

10. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought most discs "go bad" because of problems with the dye, and nothing to do with whether the outer layer gets scratched or not.

The TDK scratch proof discs look like a good idea for everyday use RW discs that will get a lot of abuse, but for archiving purposes I'm not sure a tough outer surface makes that much difference ?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    I was about to post this very point myself.

A Scratchproof DVDR will give protection against physical damage but will do very little for longevity of the data on the disk. Certainly if you have kids/pets or other reasons why your disks may not receive careful handling then it does indeed make sense to record a working copy on a scratchproof disk. However if you handle your disks with care ad store them properly in cases then they don't really offer anymore guarantees than any other decent brand of disk. A scratchproof surface will not protect against the failure of part of recording layer.

Don't get me wrong - TDK is a good brand for DVDR media and the scratchproof coating is a bonus that adds that extra insurance against failure. But the person who archives on 2 different brands of normal DVDR is considerably less likely to suffer dataloss than a person who archives on a single scratchproof DVDR.