1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tda 1543 Dac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Knightshade, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've now received the majority of the components I need to get this project off the ground. Just waiting on some of the black gate caps now. Should be in on Monday so fingers crossed I should have something up and running by Wednesday.
    I will post some pics and info of what I think as things progress.
    In the mean time if anyone has any helpful suggestions or wants some info then post away!

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a nice 1541A single crown DAC sat in my Marantz CD80.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Interesting ! The chap I use for my mods and cables was talking about zero oversampling dacs last year and was building one (before he fell in love, yet again so I cant get any sense out of him now). So its interesting that this DAC has appeared, he had bought the last 100 or so 1541A silver crowns and I think his intention was to use them for the DACs.

How does the 1543 compare with the 1541A ?

edited : just read the arguments over which is better, seems that there are some Chinese 1541A S2 Dacs masquarading as the real deal, no one seems to be using the genuine S1 chip as there is'nt many around. The 1543 chip comes in 3 different versions and most prefer the Taiwanese striped version.

It looks like its easier to produce a 1543 based engine than a 1541A version, but on balance, if correctly executed the 1541A wins by a small margin. But the issue is clouded by the counterfeit S2s and some slightly sub standard 1543s.

6. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it improves on all your kit, I'll be impressed.......and also straight through the door of the place that sold you the parts! Would be interested to know how complicated it is to build.

7. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Been considering getting a DAC for a while now but the high cost was delaying matters.. This seems ideal although multiple inputs would be handy. Can't find the one linked in hifichoice or any of the other similar ones going for £100 anymore though, demand seems to have pushed up prices to £150 ish.. Think that would class as a 'good' price though, just wish my soldering was up to scratch so i could save myself over £100 and DIY it :/

Anyone else considering going for this?

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Anyone heard these:
    V-Cap OIMP reference grade oil capacitors http://v-cap.com/oilcapacitors.html
    I need two good capacitors for the output stage of my DAC. People seem to rate these highly. Just wondered if anyone on here has had first hand experience?

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well I've managed to cobble it together. I'm using ELNA caps in the power supply stage until the Black gates arrive and some rather poor quality OTK's in the output stage again while I wait for V-Caps to arrive. This will add best part of £90 to the cost.
    The initial cost of the DAC (I still have to put it in something!) was about £72. You need to bear that in mind when I tell you what it's like! Initial testing carried out in a large room over an afternoon. Myself and a retailer and Chord rep present! Ha Ha!!!
    Initial test CD machines were:
    Chord Blu
    Rega Planet
    Rega Jupiter
    Amplification:
    Chord CPM3200 Pre
    Chord 1200E Power
    Speakers:
    PMC OB1

The comparison DAC was a Chord DAC 64 and the standard DAC's in the planet and Jupiter.
    Initially impression connected to the Planet.
    Better attack, bigger soundstage, more detail. All in all a BIG improvement over the Planets Dac's.
    Initially impression connected to Jupiter.
    Bigger Dynamic range, Bigger soundstage slightly more detail. Not such a night and day difference but after half hour of listening the 1543 DAC is the one to use.

All in all very impressive. But how did it do against the DAC64?
    Well, let's say it met it's match.
    This is what we all agreed. The detail was about the same. The highs were about the same. If anything the Chord was slightly harsher.
    Where the 1543 fell down was it's lower mid range and bass attack and decay. When listened to side by side with the 64 with the BLU there was a night and day difference. The 64 had better attack and a real Slam to the bass and the mid range was much clearer. The only way to describe the 1543 bass presentation is 'Wooly'. This is not really noticed until it's compared to the 64 on the Blu. It's there on the Jupiter/1543 but not as much.
    But for £72 I thought it was very, very good!
    Hopefully the affore mentioned upgrades should give it a clearer mid range and hopefully get rid of the slightly wooly bass. IF it does then I think for £160 + some kind of case (Poss Aluminium) I'd say this DAC rocks.
    When the DAC's rebuilt I'll post some pics and more test results.
    All joking aside, if you're thinking of buying a DAC wait for a couple of weeks.;)

10. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    KS,
    Looks like an intriguing little thing you have there... are you planning to put the new DAC on the Linn or stick with the Sony? Where do you get the diagrams from to DIY this unit, as I am seriously considering something like this, just to see if there can be any improvements to the Meridian CD player feeding tube amplification... (I'm sure there are, it's just probably in financial territory forever barred by the lovely lady at home). As I live in Singapore, it seems most individual components can be had pretty cheap here if you know where to look.
    Any info? Thanks
    Ant

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Antpink,
    It depends on how good I can get it to sound! Sourcing components and capacitors seems to be my biggest problem. I got the board made up by Newbury Electronics ltd. I'll try and find the web address or if you can't wait for me 'Google'. Most of the Capacitors and resistors are from the Hi Fi collective shop (Brilliant service here!) but I'm unfortunately still waiting for the V-caps to come in. RCA's were from Hi Fi Collective. Other components such as Power supply fuses and switches are from local electric shop. Chipsets from The case i'm still working on. Chips were from http://www.sc-elec.demon.co.uk/cs8412.htm
    and http://www.donberg.ie/search.html
    Whole lot comes to quite a bit more than you can buy one off ebay for! As it stands with out all the fancy Caps it's still a damn good DAC!

12. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    KS,
    Thanks in advance if you can point me to the right web address - did do a search and the closest I could come up with is TNT-Audio - deal in a lot of theory and had some good interesting write-ups. Think I found a few circuit diagrams as well, but then I got lost in the maze of Yahoo results and got myself all confused with numerous other DIY DAC sites and multiple different ways of going about, with or without tubes, 0, 1, x times oversampling etc. Could be quite fun to at least dip a toe some time (when I have time).... Thanks for your time in this.

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  14. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Initial thoughts on anyone who's thinking of buying/building a nos DAC based on the 1543 DAC.
    It needs a lot of work and a lot more than the £150 to get it anywhere near something like the DAC 64. A total reworking of the input and output capacitors and individual power supplies (one for the DAC and and one for the Digital processor) and i'm getting there.
    Next stage is to try a 1545 chip. So yet more reworking of voltage.....

I'm very confident that when I finally have a finished product it will be something very special.
    Unfortunately work interferes so it will be a few more weeks yet including burn in on the caps.
    Will keep you all posted....

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Interesting news Knightshade. Would buying a prebuilt one be a better plan to provide a base unit then?

Obvious adjustments like swapping capacitors/inductors for better specified models and adding another input.

16. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, What's the best url to use as a starting point for someone with no idea wha t they are doing to start to build one of these :)

Steff

17. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Trouble is with buying a prebuilt one ie. From DIY paradise or off ebay is finding one that you can successfully modify. I tried this to start with. One from Derek Shek and one from Dig Password. Neither one could really be modded well enough. Mainly because of the way the signal paths, location of caps, were laid out. A combination of the two was needed.
    The advantages of a build from scratch is you can use larger capacitors and a wider range than the limitations laid on you by the designer.
    Off the shelf the single 1543 chip in both DACs (Sheks and Dig) are a slight improvement over a rega Jupiters Dac's. There's very little between the two which leads me to think that although the Dig uses inferior(?) caps in the power stage the output stage caps are better. However I have managed to improve on this by a long way but at a cost which is probably defeating the object of the NOS DAC but....
    The 8x DAC setup (Which is a pig to do!) isn't worth the effort. The midrange loses something. Haven't tried the 4x DAC and I doubt I will.
    The 1545 I thinks the way to go.