TCL X2 (QLED) vs Sony X900E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by MegaDiogenes, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MegaDiogenes

MegaDiogenes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

First time poster. Have been pointed to these forums multiple times, apologies if I'm upsetting anyone by asking for a comparison.

I've been looking at and researching 4K displays for a few weeks and have settled on a Sony KDX55X9000E (goes by various model names depending on region) as it seems to be favoured as the best performer for is price range - retails for around $2500 in my area (New Zealand). I'm just waiting for a sale until I decide to pull the trigger and buy. Have always favoured Sony displays as the X Reality Pro engine seems to always impress me with colour accuracy rather than saturation (graphic designer who works on Dell IPS monitors so I get rather picky).

TCL have just started to pick up momentum in Australasia as well and I see they've released the X2 - X2 55 inch TV | 4K Android TV | X2 Series | TCL Electronics Australia which boasts a QLED panel. I've always steered clear of the budget brand panels however this model seems to be getting a lot of good reviews with its wide colour gamut and depth. I was wondering if anyone was able to provide me with a comparison of the two sets, if by chance there is someone here who has been able to have a sit down with this particular model it'd be great to hear from you :) This set is $500 cheaper than the Sony in my area.

Thank you!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    QLED is marketing term for backlight technology.

Specifically it refers to TVs using a quantum dot enhancement film (QDEF). This is an alternate method of achieving a wide colour gamut. Instead of replacing the backlight LEDs with others using different phosphors, it places a film in front of the backlight that absorbs some of the light and re-emits it at different frequencies.

The best implementations of QDEF like the one in Samsung's Q-series are currently slightly ahead of advanced phosphor tech, but many others are comparable.

In short it's one of those instances where manufacturers are shouting at the top of their lungs about a tiny difference in order to get people to take a second look at their models rather than classifying them under more familiar categories.

TCL isn't sold in the UK but going by this review it sounds as if it's aimed at the same market as the Panasonic DX802. Less capable picture hardware than the XE90, more akin to the XE85, but better in other areas like sound.

3. technomen

technomen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    this tcl x2 has a 50Hz panel not 100Hz !

4. MegaDiogenes

MegaDiogenes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey man, thanks so much for the write up, appreciate the time taken to explain QLED :) As sound is something I'm already covered with (Sony soundbar) then the X90 still sounds like the better pick. It appears that the X90E has better image processing especially when it comes to tracking.

Also, as Technomen has highlighted, the X90E does have [email protected] which I like (TV will be sitting within arms length of my gaming PC).

Thanks again, guys.

5. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,623
    Did you end up running with the Sony? I've seen the TCL X2 in JB hi-fi and almost fallen victim to the qled hype, although that speaker bar at the bottom is just something I'm not in board with. I'm definitely in the market to finally get a decent tv now I'm staying here and with work incentives I've got $1000 of vouchers in JB, Noel leeming, Sony or farmers to contribute to the cause. Really don't think our living room is big enough for above 55 inch but open to any recommendation you've seen available over here.