Question TCL TV + soundbar + Xbox audio issue

nuggstein

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been browsing this forums for years...since the Xbox 360 days.

Anyways, my current setup:

- TCL 65-S405 4K HDR Roku TV

- Vizio SB4051-C0 5.1 Surround Sound/soundbar system (this is not a 4K or HDR soundbar, but I don't use it for video output, except for my cable box). There is only one HDMI-IN, one HDMI-OUT, and one Optical-IN.

- ARC/CEC is enabled for control over my soundbar. ARC must be enabled for CEC to work.

- I strictly use HDMI ARC for control over my soundbar with the television remote. Due to handshake issues with the TV and soundbar (no sound when TV turns on sometimes), I use optical audio out from the TV to the sound bar for audio. This TV successfully passes through 5.1/DTS audio, according to Rtings.com, and is proven to be working with my original Xbox One.

- I have the original Xbox One configured @ 1080p, + HDMI Bitstream Out + DTS. Dolby Digital does NOT work properly due to middle channel/rear channels not working properly. DTS works beautifully (orange light on sound bar). Don't forget, video/audio is being transmitted via HDMI from the Xbox One, to the television, then out of optical from the television to the soundbar. However, ARC is enabled as well.

The issue:

I need to configure the Xbox One X for 4K + HDR + HDMI Bitstream Out + DTS.

I just got the new Xbox One X. I set it up the same way as the other Xbox, except this time I enabled 4K + HDR. Both of those work, however, when configuring the audio settings, I am unable to select anything other than HDMI Stereo. The Xbox throws me an EDID error (0x80bd0009), saying my receiver is not compatible or something along those lines.

Oddly enough, if I enable Optical audio on the Xbox, set that to Bitstream out, and then select Dolby Digital, I am then able to change HDMI audio to Bitstream out, and turn off Optical audio. Dolby Digital will stay selected, and I will see my soundbar's light turn white, which means Dolby Digital is enabled.

As I stated before, Dolby Digital does not work properly, and I need DTS. If I then select DTS after doing the above, it fails, and gives me the same error.

The TCL television is properly configured for HDMI 2.0 and DTS.

I am not sure how to fix this, except by getting an optical audio switch, and connecting the optical-out of the TV, and the optical-out of the Xbox One X to the soundbar directly, then enabling Optical on the Xbox. This is an annoyance, as it now adds an additional piece of hardware to an already working automatic network.

I am using a certified 18 Gbps high speed HDMI cable for maximum throughput, and 4K + HDR abilities.

After doing other research, I have already tried changing the output mode on the Xbox from Auto to HDMI, but then I cannot select 4K or HDR.

I also tried buying a $20 HDMI splitter that has some odd EDID switches on it. I played with it, but got even worse results.

I know they make EDID emulators, but those seems to be far and few between, and don't allow 4K + HDR, or more than 2 channel audio.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Rtings it seems is aware of this fault and their fix is stick with Dolby which obviously doesn't work for you. This issue is something TCL/Roku would have to fix.

On the off chance try unplugging the soundbar from the HDMI ARC port and use it on another HDMI input to see if CEC still works and use the optical audio out from the TV to the soundbar, maybe you will get lucky and it all still works.

The only other thing I can think of is something you already tried but on a more simplistic level, get a HDMI switch which has it's own baked in EDID, this model supports 4K/HDR/ARC. Put that between the Xbox One X and the TV and see if it reads the switch EDID instead of TV and lets you pass DTS.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Rtings it seems is aware of this fault and their fix is stick with Dolby which obviously doesn't work for you. This issue is something TCL/Roku would have to fix.

On the off chance try unplugging the soundbar from the HDMI ARC port and use it on another HDMI input to see if CEC still works and use the optical audio out from the TV to the soundbar, maybe you will get lucky and it all still works.

The only other thing I can think of is something you already tried but on a more simplistic level, get a HDMI switch which has it's own baked in EDID, this model supports 4K/HDR/ARC. Put that between the Xbox One X and the TV and see if it reads the switch EDID instead of TV and lets you pass DTS.
That's awesome. I'm tempted to take the plunge...plus that gives me more ports anyways. Just curious, where do you see that it has a baked-in EDID? :)

I own one, it doesn't read the TV or pass-through info it simply has it's own EDID so it pretends to be a TV to devices plugged into it then passes that video signal onto the TV.

Hopefully it does something that alters the DTS/ARC bug in the TCL TV your encountering but it's still a long-shot.

Last edited:
I own one, it doesn't read the TV or pass-through info it simply has it's own EDID so it pretends to be a TV to devices plugged into it then passes that video signal onto the TV.

Hopefully it does something that alters the DTS/ARC bug in the TCL TV your encountering but it's still a long-shot.
Thank you for your answer.

So you think there's a possibility that the Xbox will pass through the proper video/audio through the switch, back to the TV, and then the DTS audio out of the TV's optical port, back to the sound bar, all without the Xbox detecting the TCL TV?

Do you think this one does the same thing? It looks like a replica. Unsure of which is the original, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FiveHome-Switcher-Support-Wireless/dp/B076XWNQP9

Last edited:
It looks the same unit just with a different colour scheme, they probably all come from the same factory in china and yeah thats the idea mask the xbox from the TV HDMI handshaking hopefully the switch can do that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom