TCL Televisions - Are they good?

mmitsch

Novice Member
My wife went to buy her parents today. She was going to get a 65” Samsung. The folks at the store told her that Samsung is not worth the money and instead recommended a brand call TCL. They said this was brand was much better than a similarly priced Samsung. They said things about TCL making the Blueberry devices and that they’re a great company.

We don’t buy televisions that often and are now unsure what to do.

Hopefully someone in these forums will be able to share your wisdom. It would really be appreciated!

MaryWhitehouse

Hi and welcome.

While you might get some help this is mainly a UK based forum and we don’t get TCL tv’s.

Good luck

mike7

Distinguished Member
What in heavens name is a Blueberry device? Doesn't sound like a very clued up dealer. Probably on commission to push TCL. They are sold in the UK and are a Chinese made item usually in the lower price bracket.

MaryWhitehouse

What in heavens name is a Blueberry device? Doesn't sound like a very clued up dealer. Probably on commission to push TCL. They are sold in the UK and are a Chinese made item usually in the lower price bracket.
My mistake. Are they in the supermarket tv bracket?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Blackberry, the old phone brand that was popular among business users at one point. TCL bought the rights to the name and have released a few models under that brand that got decent reviews but never really gained much popularity.

While you might get some help this is mainly a UK based forum and we don’t get TCL tv’s.
TCL TVs launched TVs under their own brand in the UK in 2019, and IIRC they've been selling TVs under the Thomson and Technicolour brands for a few years.

The Chinese firms like Hisense and TCL are putting out some reasonable low end to mid-range TVs these days. They're not quite as polished yet as the Japanese and Korean firms but they are considered to be acceptable.

Samsung do tend to start their TV prices off high and drop them over the course of the year so they can be poor value, although we are getting towards the point where they're not going to get much cheaper.

So what the salesman said wasn't a fair representation. TCL can be a reasonable alternative choice but they're not an outstanding new brand that's better than the existing ones.

What do the parents want from the new TV? Which aspects are important to them?

Munkoli

Standard Member
I bought a great TCL 55inch tv in the US a couple of years ago. It was reviewed by rtings as better quality than almost all other TV's in the next price range up. It's been terrific. However, the TCL TV's in the US have FALD dimming. I'm not sure the UK spec ones have this (UK consumers getting ripped off). You will probably have dirty screen effect. I'm not a fan of Roku Tv OS either. It's very dated and poorly designed. I think the UK spec ones have Android TV.

Unopinionated

Depends which TCL you are talking about. The TCL 6 series TVs are great if your viewing angle is less than 20 degrees. If your parents viewing angle is less than 20 degrees and they don’t study the differences between TVs the 6 series TVs will be all they ever need.

Unopinionated

OP is from the USA and the advice is correct. Same is true of Hisense TVs...or even Vizio.

rtings.com are a good resource for comparing TVs. You can compare the Q80T Samsung and see it doesn't rate any higher than the TCL R625 or Hisense H9G.
If your parents viewing angle exceeds 20 degrees then the Q80T is a better TV. If there viewing angle exceeds 20 degrees I wouldn’t buy the TCL. Other than the viewing angle most casual viewers aren’t going to notice the difference between the TCL 6 series TVs and the highest rated TVs.

Dodgexander

If your parents viewing angle exceeds 20 degrees then the Q80T is a better TV. If there viewing angle exceeds 20 degrees I wouldn’t buy the TCL. Other than the viewing angle most casual viewers aren’t going to notice the difference between the TCL 6 series TVs and the highest rated TVs.
Indeed, not sure what size the OPs shopping for but if its larger sizes, the Q80T can cost around 50% more. Once you get to that kind of price point you're getting close to affording OLEDs.

But really, all brands have good and bad. I don't really think its sensible to buy based on the brand alone. With budget TVs there are some Samsung's in the USA that are pretty good.

Samsung's marketing is clear with their higher end TVs, they want to take sales away from OLEDs, their pricing is therefore more in line with those than the Chinese branded LCD TVs. I don't think they can compete with state owned Chinese corporations, as they operate on such a low margin. What they can do however is try and compete with LG and their OLEDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom