TCL Roku 55RP620K or alternative? (<£500)

jam12

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, great to see this forum is active! In need of some advice:

Looking for a bedroom/office 55” TV which will be used primarily for Netflix and mild gaming. Budget is £500.

I’m intrigued by the TCL Roku RP620K which seems to have rave reviews and is available for £400 after discount at Currys. I haven’t found much on this site discussing it though? The only potential negative I’ve read is roku TV’s have a propensity to overheat at times.

Alternatively i’ve seen the LG UP77 and LG Nano81 can be had for £475 at the moment. The only thing putting me off these is they have IPS panels. I’ve read the 50” variants have VA panels but feel that may be bit small, given the viewing distance will be 2.5m.

I should say that I’d quite like the TV homekit enabled but it’s not a dealbreaker. I’d be grateful for any thoughts / recommendations!

Cheers,
J.

That Roku TV is just another low tier model. TCL usually use VA panels so put it in line with Samsung AU series models that have homekit support.

TVs are expensive this time of year unless you can still find a 2020 model. If you can still find one, the Hisense U7Q will be best picture quality for the money.

I did look at the AU series (frustratingly missed out on cheap TU stock!) but thought they were only Airplay 2 compatible but not Homekit? The latter would enable it be to controlled via Siri is all - not a dealbreaker but a nice addition given how the room is set up.

I’ve managed to find the U7QF which is being discounted to £525 by Hughes. I presume this is the same as the U7Q?

Also, are IPS panels significantly inferior compared to VA panels for contrast/blacks? Or just a slight amount? I’ve never really compared the two as we’ve always gone for the former due to needing wider viewing angles, until now.

Thanks.

EDIT: Will black Friday be worth waiting for TV’s around this budget?

You're right, full list here:

Regarding VA vs IPS it depends on the viewing conditions, in a brightly lit room the difference is not large. In darker conditions then worse contrast/blacks are noticeable.

U7Q is using a VA panel+local dimming, plus gets a lot brighter than other TVs. Most other TVs including the Roku TVs are dimmer models without local dimming.

Black Friday is worth waiting for for deals on 2021 stock, 2020 stock will likely have sold out by then.

If you 50" and 60" size TVs are always VA so if you found an LG at that size it would support Homekit.

Thanks for the link.

I think I may well skimp on homekit and go for the U7Q then. It seems a brilliant TV for the current price. Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom