TCL - Model Confusion and any other suggestions

Catalan77

Novice Member
Hello,

I was looking to buy a 55 inch or 65 inch TV, it will be used purely for watching movies in a separate room of the house, the room has no windows so glare not an issue.

I was initially looking at the normal suspects (Samsung/LG) when I came across TCL and generally speaking they have pretty good reviews. I am not really looking to spend more than 800 Euros and they seem to have some good offerings.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between 65DP600, 65DP602 and 65DP603 as I can't find this anywhere? but the price difference is approx €150 between the 3 models however no one shop stocks all of them.

2. Am I right to consider TCL or should I look at something else, the Phiips 55PUS6753 has some good reviews and comes in around €599 but other suggestions greatly appreciated?

Many thanks

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Where are the reviews from? TCL have different ranges in the US and Europe, that’s why I’m asking.

Catalan77

Novice Member
Mainly Europe based for these specific model numbers, all three of these TCL TV's are for sale locally to me in France but I can't seem to get any proper info on line. The American reviews are talking about the TCL 6 series but never actually mentions the exact model.

TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV this is the one in the US but not sure if in Europe it has a different reference

Dodgexander

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between 65DP600, 65DP602 and 65DP603 as I can't find this anywhere? but the price difference is approx €150 between the 3 models however no one shop stocks all of them
Nope, no decent reviews. They for whatever reason are reluctant/unable to provide review samples. In the UK for example they are only for sale on Amazon which means its hard for pro reviewers to get hold of them. From the limited user reviews I have seen on the lower sized models they are positive but its hard to draw conclusions from user reviews when these TVs are cheap and people will often have lower expectations.

2. Am I right to consider TCL or should I look at something else, the Phiips 55PUS6753 has some good reviews and comes in around €599 but other suggestions greatly appreciated?
You can consider them, but you cannot be sure what you will get. I have heard they still use VA type panels in Europe but I am not sure, if they do they could be a good option compared to the competition, otherwise not.

The usual TV to go for at this price range in the UK would be the Hisense U7A or Samsung NU8000 which I am sure both will be better than the Philips/TCL.

Only reviews I've seen of TCL TVs seem to be 2017/2016 models on this french website: Comparatif : Quel téléviseur choisir ? and they only get 3/5* reviews.

When you say they get good reviews, do you mean user feedback reviews?

In Europe the TVs are completely different from the USA. The USA ones come with Roku smart TV and models like the R series you mention have full array local dimming. None of the EU models have this as far as I am aware.

Ultraman1966

Standard Member
Nope, no decent reviews. They for whatever reason are reluctant/unable to provide review samples. In the UK for example they are only for sale on Amazon which means its hard for pro reviewers to get hold of them. From the limited user reviews I have seen on the lower sized models they are positive but its hard to draw conclusions from user reviews when these TVs are cheap and people will often have lower expectations.

You can consider them, but you cannot be sure what you will get. I have heard they still use VA type panels in Europe but I am not sure, if they do they could be a good option compared to the competition, otherwise not.

The usual TV to go for at this price range in the UK would be the Hisense U7A or Samsung NU8000 which I am sure both will be better than the Philips/TCL.

Only reviews I've seen of TCL TVs seem to be 2017/2016 models on this french website: Comparatif : Quel téléviseur choisir ? and they only get 3/5* reviews.

When you say they get good reviews, do you mean user feedback reviews?

In Europe the TVs are completely different from the USA. The USA ones come with Roku smart TV and models like the R series you mention have full array local dimming. None of the EU models have this as far as I am aware.
The European models are a poor compared to the USA equivalent. I tried asking on Twitter and TCL just said about different standards and regulations. To which I replied how does that explain the edge lit Vs full array, got stonewalled. Short answer I concur with you ; wouldn't bother with TCL outside of USA.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom