TCL C815 vs TCL C725

Zeorth

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I’ve been looking at a TV for my bedroom and I stumbled across both the 55” TCL C815 for 800 USD and the 50” C725 for 700 USD. Which one of these would be the better purchase or are there any other better TVs in that size and price range. As I understand it the C725 is newer but a worse model whereas the C815 is older but a better model. What are your guys opinions on this?

Its normal for releasing pricing on TVs to be higher, which is why you are comparing a lower range, smaller 7 series model to a higher range, larger 8 series.

Generally a bad idea to buy new stock now due to heightened release pricing, but actually the new 7 series isn't far off the old 8 series in picture quality at smaller sizes. This is different at 65" and 75" where the 8 series uses a 120hz panel.

You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near 700-800 for a bedroom TV though, and these two really don't do anything better than much cheaper TVs. Go for something that's a lot cheaper instead and save the money.

Only go more premium if you can reach TVs like the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9005 in budget.

Its normal for releasing pricing on TVs to be higher, which is why you are comparing a lower range, smaller 7 series model to a higher range, larger 8 series.

Generally a bad idea to buy new stock now due to heightened release pricing, but actually the new 7 series isn't far off the old 8 series in picture quality at smaller sizes. This is different at 65" and 75" where the 8 series uses a 120hz panel.

You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near 700-800 for a bedroom TV though, and these two really don't do anything better than much cheaper TVs. Go for something that's a lot cheaper instead and save the money.

Only go more premium if you can reach TVs like the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9005 in budget.
I see where youre coming from. I was looking at the AU7000 as well, but I dont think it really gets bright enough. I also saw that the C815 has a built in soundbar which is good for me since I don’t really want to have to invest in a soundbar instantly. Which one would be better out of the C725 or C815 or are there any other good cheap TVs that you recommend.

None of these really get bright enough though. To use HDR on the TV (which is part of why most people tend to buy TVs nowadays) you're looking at specs like 1000 nits minimum, with good local dimming.

So my mantra is typically the same each time I advise people on this, buy cheap or buy premium. The inbetweens are not worth the extra. I personally wouldn't spend more unless it was on a TV like the Sony XH9005 or Hisense U8Q and I'd instead stick to a cheaper model.

If you can find deals on outgoing 2020 stock then sometimes you can find a bargain. It may be hard now though with availability. I don't think the TCL 8 series for 800 is a very good deal, although I can understand if you want to pay the extra for better built in sound. of course any of these TVs will be bested by buying even a cheap, independent soundbar.

How much is the Hisense U8Q locally? That has a soundbar too and is a much better HDR TV.

You can see my recommendations here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

No 2021-22 models in the guide as they are presently too overpriced to recommend. New guide should be out closer to Black Friday when it usually becomes more viable to consider a new model each year.

None of these really get bright enough though. To use HDR on the TV (which is part of why most people tend to buy TVs nowadays) you're looking at specs like 1000 nits minimum, with good local dimming.

So my mantra is typically the same each time I advise people on this, buy cheap or buy premium. The inbetweens are not worth the extra. I personally wouldn't spend more unless it was on a TV like the Sony XH9005 or Hisense U8Q and I'd instead stick to a cheaper model.

If you can find deals on outgoing 2020 stock then sometimes you can find a bargain. It may be hard now though with availability. I don't think the TCL 8 series for 800 is a very good deal, although I can understand if you want to pay the extra for better built in sound. of course any of these TVs will be bested by buying even a cheap, independent soundbar.

How much is the Hisense U8Q locally? That has a soundbar too and is a much better HDR TV.

You can see my recommendations here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

No 2021-22 models in the guide as they are presently too overpriced to recommend. New guide should be out closer to Black Friday when it usually becomes more viable to consider a new model each year.
Here in Sweden Hisense isn’t really sold so prices on it are sky high. But its available for 1400 USD. Which doesn’t really seem worth it. I could get an LG OLED A1 for 900 USD but it seems like such a downgrade from CX/C1.

The A1 will be a lot better than anything else you are considering but it would be better to get a higher end OLED from 2020 instead rather than a new 2021 model.

What are prices like on 2020 models recommended in the high tier section of my guide?

Panasonic models locally may have the HZW prefix instead of HZ.

The A1 will be a lot better than anything else you are considering but it would be better to get a higher end OLED from 2020 instead rather than a new 2021 model.

What are prices like on 2020 models recommended in the high tier section of my guide?

Panasonic models locally may have the HZW prefix instead of HZ.
Im going off of their 55” pricing as that size seems the most universal.

LG A1 = 1150 USD
Sony A85 = 1250 USD
LG CX = 1400 USD
Phillips OLED 805 = 2301 USD

They are all way out of my budget especially for a budget bedroom TV hence why I was on the TCLs. I need a decent budget TV for the bedroom so most movies will be watched in the dark.

I'd consider spending less on a cheaper TV for the bedroom, since those TVs are out of reach. The TCL 7/8 series are in-between models, not really great value. TCL do have some budget TVs (prefix EP or DP) which are better value for money usually.

Samsung TU or new AU series perhaps a better option.

I'd consider spending less on a cheaper TV for the bedroom, since those TVs are out of reach. The TCL 7/8 series are in-between models, not really great value. TCL do have some budget TVs (prefix EP or DP) which are better value for money usually.

Samsung TU or new AU series perhaps a better option.
I can get my hands on a AU7000 or a Phillips PUS8555 for 600 USD. Which one would be better?

The Philips is a better buy. More like the TU8500 (or in 2021, AU9000) overall. Philips being a 2020 model, whilst the Samsung 2021.

Hi i am also looking at TCL C815, just a headsup in case you don't know, 55" C815 is 60hz NOT 120 Hz, only 65" and above are 120Hz panels

I live in Scandinavia as well. So tcl and hisense are out of reach. In the end I have spent 7k nok for Samsung 65" q60t. I know it's a very controversial product. But I don't have any hdr content other than Netflix. So I'll be fine with SDR.

Having bought a TLC 55C815K, I was disappointed with the brightness level and had bad dirty screen effect. Some other issues were noted streaming sonme YouTube content with allot of stuttering.

Also had higher expectations for the Onkyo speakers. I will be returning it. Im now considering saving up for an OLED.

Having bought a TLC 55C815K, I was disappointed with the brightness level and had bad dirty screen effect. Some other issues were noted streaming sonme YouTube content with allot of stuttering.

Also had higher expectations for the Onkyo speakers. I will be returning it. Im now considering saving up for an OLED.

oh which one are you going for now? OLED's are fricking expensive :(

oh which one are you going for now? OLED's are fricking expensive :(
I'm going to try limit towards the £1100 mark, currently LG A1 and CX, Philips 705 and 805.. leaning towards the CX but not decided yet.

OLED are expensive but the contrast and viewing angles are untouchable .

I'm going to try limit towards the £1100 mark, currently LG A1 and CX, Philips 705 and 805.. leaning towards the CX but not decided yet.

OLED are expensive but the contrast and viewing angles are untouchable .
Philips was purchased by aoc a few yea ago. It's not the same Philips any more. So I'd definitely vote for lg over Philips

I'm now considering the Sony XH9505, reads lots of good feedback on this model, looks to be great for areas with lots of ambient light which is what I'm after... might pull the trigger later today..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom