TCL Android TV duo for UK unveiled - news discussion

The current models can be found purchased through TCL’s website as well as AO and Amazon.

AO ???

AO = Appliances Online.

Both the 55" and 65" EC788's are down as being a 10 bit panels on the TCL website. 55" EC788 is 400 nits. They don't mention the brightness of the 65" in its specs. Contrast ratio described as "Mega" on both. :D

Looking forward to seeing some reviews. Might be a popular budget choice if someone fancies a TV with both DV and HDR10+.

AO = Appliances Online.

Thanks - literally never heard of that company.
I thought domain name registrations had to be a minimum of three letters?

TCL prices look very competitive. 'Best Buys' in the USA is full of them (Dec 2019), but not seen any here yet. Hisense seems to be more dominant at the budget end of the market in the UK. It'll be interesting to see if this changes.

They (TCL) bought the Naming Rights to the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. But everybody still calls it 'Grauman's Chinese Theatre', just like everyone still calls 'The Willis Tower' in Chicago, 'Sears Tower'.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
I know TCL arent that well known or 'popular' here in the UK but there has been a slew of various members from other countries with varying models that all seem to have an issue with dynamic contrast and not being able to turn it off.

im seriously tempted by the 55 inch top of the range with the sounder but no reviews yet not sure if to wait for the 2020 Hisense ones

Thoughts on this? Do you know what the differences are?

I have no idea. It's pure quesswork at the moment.

Various specs are on the TCL website.

Going on the website specs for the 43" and "50, the only things different are screen size and number of HDMI ports. Best to wait for reviews.

Last edited:
TCL have been in Australia for a while now, I was always intrigued by the bright clear panels of their mid and premium range products and bought a 43" 43P6US (Australian designation) which had a better picture than my older albeit more expensive Panasonic LED TV.
Still early days as far as reliability is concerned but for the price I can see why TCL sell so well, even panel lottery didn't raise its ugly head, the screen is cleaner than my recent Sony X9500G which has dirty screen corners on white and solid colour backgrounds, a dodgy eARC and occasional loss of sound.

Last edited:
im dying to buy a new tv as my Samsung 55 js6400 is dying can see all the panel failing but I think need to see reviews first to be honest... also seen on here that all the new Hisense ones are coming may 2020 .... are the tcl mini led ones coming to the uk if so anyone know what sort of price were talking????

there is a German review on YouTube of this model looks good with my limited German it looks/sounds impressive I've set my budget to £650...... for a 55 inch I can spend more but I think given my usage after lockdown it will be a lot less than now ! lol

seen reviews of the c8 in India which looks identical what do you think same model just rebranded?

Suppose worth having TCL own section as becomes quite popular brand especially with their mini led range.

yes you’re right 2nd half of this year, maybe I was thinking of a hisense model.

Yep biggest disappointment top hisense models are not coming to UK as here people just are happy with cheap junk... Their rep said there is no demand here in top tier tech.

these tcl look great value tbh the German review looked good, Hisense prob have a little bit better aftercare atm so im torn between getting this waiting for the 2020 Hisense or getting a tv that has been reduced due to the new 2020 models incoming im going to budget on £650 - £750

these tcl look great value tbh the German review looked good, Hisense prob have a little bit better aftercare atm so im torn between getting this waiting for the 2020 Hisense or getting a tv that has been reduced due to the new 2020 models incoming im going to budget on £650 - £750

Well it all depends what you want, more you wait more other tv get cheaper. No one yet knows what starting price will be for new tv's, but I guess not cheap. I would check spec of panels and compare benefits you get. As example some of new philips models coming this year are not that much improved from older models which are much cheaper. I guess its worth waiting till confirmed panel specs available so you can make better decision and not regret choice.

Patience is not my strong point especially when my panels getting worse everyday lol I know its defo sensible to wait though your correct

quite a few reviews in German and Italian popping up all seems pretty promising is there no use equivalent to these new tvs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom