TCL 65S535 vs Hisense R8 Series? When to buy TCL, is there a price drop in near future ?

user12345

Novice Member
Would you please suggest which TV I should buy, I don't see a comparison between these two anywhere.
  1. TCL 65S535 (for $650, BBY link)
  2. Hisense 65R8F (for $570 with some discount I am getting, but not sure why I don't see people talking much about this TV?, BBY link)
  3. Anything else but in a similar budget?
My use case is basic TV watching and occasional Xbox gaming, Apple HomeKit compatibility is a plus. My living space is moderately dark.

I am inclined more towards TCL (based on the reviews I have seen). Also, I don't see any discount on the TCL, should I wait? Can there be a discount on Amazon Prime Day for this model?

If you have any idea about the TCL 5 series 2021 model, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Dodgexander

Hisense H8G or Vizio M series are probably a step above the two you've linked. The TCL 5 series is okay, but not the 1st choice for most people. The Hisense R8F is a 2019 model, I don't think its good value at the price best buy have for it.

There's a shortage of TVs at the moment in the US. Probably not the best time to buy. Best instead to wait for deals on outgoing 2020 stock when new 2021 models are released, or delay the purchase for potential black friday deals. Sometimes amazon ship out some 2020 stock too on prime day, but its not as common.

Don't think TCL have announced a new 5 series yet. They are continuing to sell their 6 series in 2021 so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release a new 5 series.

user12345

Novice Member
Thank you so much for your response, really appreciate it. I couldn't find when exactly the new 2021 models are supposed to come out, any idea about that?

Also, how is LG Nano 81 65" compared to TCL series 5, I am getting both for around $650 and my budget is strictly around that point. Hisense and Vizio are both a little bit expensive, I will see if I can stretch to that.

Thanks!

Dodgexander

The LG doesn't have as good picture quality overall due to its IPS panel. Should only go for that LG if you prefer having better viewing angles compared to better blacks and contrast and you will use the TV only with lights on, or during the day in brightness.

As for new ranges of TVs, it depends on the manufacturer. TCL have only announced very large TVs in 2021 so far, Hisense haven't announced any apart from their 100" Laser TV. Samsung, Sony and LG have new TVs that are available either now, or very soon. But beware on new models, especially if they are from a Japanese or Korean brand will not be as cheap usually as the models they replace, and usually as a result don't make for attractive buys until they are first discounted each year around Black Friday.

All of this isn't helped by low stock levels due to the pandemic. There's a TV shortage which has made stock harder to find, and prices that normally tumble on 2020 TVs this time of year have stayed pretty much the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom