TCL 65 715 AndroidTv Problems using external HDD

PRESSTOG

I have just purchased a TCL 715 AndroidTV

problem I am having is using an external HDD with movies on it, Have 3 drives that work perfectly with an Nvidia Shield, But when I plug them into the TV I just get a message

External Storage safely ejected

because of this I cannot use movies on these drives with the TV or Kodi on the TV

anyone have a solution for this, or should it just work correctly to start with

scratching my head as these drives are perfect on an AndroidTV Nvidia Shield

next010

Distinguished Member
Are these USB powered HDD's ?

If so try getting a powered hub and connect the drive to that then plug hub into the TV.

If they are powered HDD's with their own power supply then it could be a partition or file system compatibility issue.

My guess is your drives are using NTFS, you could try test formatting one as EXFAT or EXT4 (linux only will require third party tool on windows to format as) ands see if it works.

PRESSTOG

They are ExFat drives set up on a mac

they work fine on an Nvidia shield. But the tv ejects them straight away. I have also tried a 128gb usb stick in exfat format to rule out power problems an£ the tv does exactly the same with that

next010

Distinguished Member
They are ExFat drives set up on a mac

they work fine on an Nvidia shield. But the tv ejects them straight away. I have also tried a 128gb usb stick in exfat format to rule out power problems an£ the tv does exactly the same with that

It's could be exfat in that case, exfat requires a license and the Android OS built running on the TV does not have it.

You could try NTFS if that's supported under OSX as formatting.

Or get this tool which enables EXT4 for mac OS but that will cost money to buy, it will allow you to read/write to EXT4 file system which is what Android uses.

PRESSTOG

It's could be exfat in that case, exfat requires a license and the Android OS built running on the TV does not have it.

You could try NTFS if that's supported under OSX as formatting.

Or get this tool which enables EXT4 for mac OS but that will cost money to buy, it will allow you to read/write to EXT4 file system which is what Android uses.

Cheers, yes managed to faff around and get a USB drive in NTFS and the TV sees that no problem

Oh well, cant really be bothered moving 10Tb of movies from ExFat to NTFS drives, will keep using the Nvidia Shield as the default media player for now as the Kodi built into the TV Seems slower and buggier. Was a nice idea thinking I could remove a bit of kit from the playback stream, but will stick to the Shield

chancooluk

Standard Member
Exfat isn't the the most compatible format unfortunately, even though most modern pirtable drives are formatted in exfat by default.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom