TCL 55DP608 Freeview Play TV useless after reset and update.

debim

Novice Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 55” TCL smart tv from AO in October 2018. It was glitchy from day 1 but stupidly I put this down to it being a smart tv thing (like a PC freezing). It would often restart and would change the environment into shop mode, despite being set to home. The original remote got broken early on but as I had Sky Q box it wasn’t too much of an issue but I couldn’t access all of the TV menus.

I contacted TCL regarding the issues that were apparent a few months before the warranty expired and they advised a factory reset. Unfortunately I didn’t do this during the warranty (2 years).

I left Sky and started watching the Freeview channels on the TV, so I purchased a new tv remote when I noticed channels were missing and not in the correct order. The TV would restart at least 4-5 times a day while watching Freeview. Preformed a channel update and it searched and found 162 channels and completed the process but nothing changed. I checked online the channel positions and it seemed the Freeview channels hadn’t updated since 2019. The TV couldn’t save changes, I would change aspects of the system, the screen setting for example and after switching off and back on it would be back to what it was.
I decided to do a factory reset which seemed to go fine. The installation process completes, connects to WiFi, finds channels etc but once it finishes it says no channels please scan and will not save any channel information despite finding channels during the channel scan. I contacted TCL & explained the issue and they advised it sounded like a software issue. Checked the system info (software ended in 3**) & confirmed a manual update via usb would be required as they were aware of an issue with the tv automatically updating. I enquired further what the issue was but basic response was aware of issues but manual update will resolve glitches and restore function.
I had an issue transferring the file from my Mac to the USB called them back to troubleshoot. An advisor said they’d send an engineer, when I advised again the tv wasn’t under warranty he said it didn’t matter and asked for invoice and contact details to be emailed. After sending the info I then got a quick response back stating the tv wasn’t covered by warranty so I had to contact their repair centre and pay for an independent repair. I did fill in the info as I would like to speak to 1 of their engineers but it was clear it was a client portal I was using, not for general public enquiries.

I asked a friend to download the file using her PC, I updated the TV and things got worse. The installation menu changes to Czech despite selecting English and now the HDMI ports register no signal, before I could use my old Sky HD box to watch free satellite channels (installation mode would run each time the TV turned on). The home section of the TV has completely changed. The Freeview play app doesn’t work, and recommendations are all blank. YouTube works but that’s it.
I called TCL again for further advice and was told they would assist no further but they would contact an engineer from their repair centre, at my expense to resolve the issue. Over 1 week later no engineer has contacted me.

I called AO and they conferenced called TCL, they couldn’t be less interested as the TV warranty has expired. They have closed the support case. AO then advised that if I get an independent engineer report to state the fault was inherent at the time of manufacture to get in touch with them.
Can anyone offer advice regarding the price, software etc. The TV runs TCL smart tv 3.0 and it was updated to the latest software S586T02-LF1V466.
Can you damage a tv by a factory reset, could they say I caused some sort of error in the system? It doesn’t show errors it just repeats the first installation every time it switches on.

I feel the TV is now obsolete. I’m tempted to go back to AO to send an engineer out as I really don’t want to transport the TV to a repair shop as it’s so thin and large I’m worried I’ll damage it.

If anyone can offer any input I’ll be very grateful.

I think that you had a dodgy sample from the start, and should have returned it as not fit for purpose. I do wonder if perhaps the incorrect firmware has been installed. Could you try reinstalling it, after downloading it again? I have no issues using my Mac to prepare firmware updates for any of my kit -- Panasonic, LG, Manhattan, etc. It does depend on how TCL release their firmware. Perhaps you could supply some details. I might be able to help.

I suspect that without some sort of engineering intervention, you now have a very thin paperweight. As for AO, I've dealt with them in the past, and won't do so again. They insisted that I call out an engineer to fix a brand new washing machine that they'd just delivered. Luckily, after a lot of hassles and 'phone calls I managed to resolve the issue myself, but any supplier that won't accept some degree of responsibility is one to be avoided. Sadly, nowadays, they are all generally as bad as one another. Even John Lewis, in my experience.

I think that you had a dodgy sample from the start, and should have returned it as not fit for purpose. I do wonder if perhaps the incorrect firmware has been installed. Could you try reinstalling it, after downloading it again? I have no issues using my Mac to prepare firmware updates for any of my kit -- Panasonic, LG, Manhattan, etc. It does depend on how TCL release their firmware. Perhaps you could supply some details. I might be able to help.

I suspect that without some sort of engineering intervention, you now have a very thin paperweight. As for AO, I've dealt with them in the past, and won't do so again. They insisted that I call out an engineer to fix a brand new washing machine that they'd just delivered. Luckily, after a lot of hassles and 'phone calls I managed to resolve the issue myself, but any supplier that won't accept some degree of responsibility is one to be avoided. Sadly, nowadays, they are all generally as bad as one another. Even John Lewis, in my experience.
I’m really annoyed with myself for not troubleshooting the TV straight away.

There wasn’t an issue with the file and my Mac, I was trying to open an unsupported file instead of just copying it to the USB.

https://www.tcl.com/uk/en/service/service-model.html/55DP608

This was the link provided by TCL support. I don’t believe it’s the software per se that’s the issue (although I’m not knowledgeable enough to say for certain) it’s annoying that it runs in Czech though.

1 of the independent TV engineers mentioned they can access additional resets etc as a possible way of fixing the TV but as he only charges £30 for a report I’m concerned AO won’t accept his finding expert enough. I’m annoyed The TCL repair centre won’t contact me, I’ve never experienced this. I’ve had manufacturers offer to attend after warranty, cost dependent on the situation. I appreciate TCL are not obliged to do anything but I’m amazed at how badly they deal with these situations.

It’s definitely needs intervention. If it can be repaired then fine but I have no faith in it being fixed only because of how glitchy it has been from the start. AO didn’t offer to send an engineer but I didn’t ask them to, as they insisted on contacting TCL and they infuriate me. Someone on MSE forum mentioned as part of a CR claim they can send an engineer out £70 (refunded if faulty) so that may an easier option.

I’m really annoyed with myself for not troubleshooting the TV straight away.

There wasn’t an issue with the file and my Mac, I was trying to open an unsupported file instead of just copying it to the USB.

https://www.tcl.com/uk/en/service/service-model.html/55DP608

This was the link provided by TCL support. I don’t believe it’s the software per se that’s the issue (although I’m not knowledgeable enough to say for certain) it’s annoying that it runs in Czech though.

1 of the independent TV engineers mentioned they can access additional resets etc as a possible way of fixing the TV but as he only charges £30 for a report I’m concerned AO won’t accept his finding expert enough. I’m annoyed The TCL repair centre won’t contact me, I’ve never experienced this. I’ve had manufacturers offer to attend after warranty, cost dependent on the situation. I appreciate TCL are not obliged to do anything but I’m amazed at how badly they deal with these situations.

It’s definitely needs intervention. If it can be repaired then fine but I have no faith in it being fixed only because of how glitchy it has been from the start. AO didn’t offer to send an engineer but I didn’t ask them to, as they insisted on contacting TCL and they infuriate me. Someone on MSE forum mentioned as part of a CR claim they can send an engineer out £70 (refunded if faulty) so that may an easier option.
You're caught in the pit of retailer v manufacturers responsibility, the consumer rights act changes in 2015 which should have cemented EU consumer rights directives, (Brexit notwithstanding), and the interpretation of who exactly deals with the first two years of warranty, and the 'fit for purpose' implications of the subsequent 4 years after. If you had in any way notified anyone of issues prior to the end of the 2 years, its still an open case. You may be on shaky ground though if you self serviced or third party updated the set, though if done in accordance to normal user guidelines (e.g. a factory reset), this should not void their duty of care. Read this, it might help
Also, you can sign up to Which! for £29 plus £9 per month to access free expert opinion and assistance in cases like this, it might be worth the intervention.
Also read this, you have 6 years to make a case for goods with that life expectancy.

Last edited:
try updating your tv through local usb update worked for me find your model here https://tclnordic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012806599-TCL-TV-software-downloads
then follow the steps

usb bigger than 4gb formatted fat or fat32
downloads update for your model of tv
unpack/unzip the zip file
enter the file you just unzipped will see another zip file inside do not unzip that but copy or drag that zip file to usb
plug usb into tv
go to settings
go to about
go to software update
click local update
it should find the update and install automatically

try updating your tv through local usb update worked for me find your model here https://tclnordic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012806599-TCL-TV-software-downloads
then follow the steps

usb bigger than 4gb formatted fat or fat32
downloads update for your model of tv
unpack/unzip the zip file
enter the file you just unzipped will see another zip file inside do not unzip that but copy or drag that zip file to usb
plug usb into tv
go to settings
go to about
go to software update
click local update
it should find the update and install automatically
Reflashing will only succeed if the hardware is fully intact and functioning. Faulty flash memory or other chip problems will render updates or refreshing ineffective. I’ve a drawer full of old Samsung phones which refused rewriting after various failures.
It's been June last year since the OP posted, so it's either sorted or binned, the former I hope. I've had great experience ofsupport services in recent years, after decades of 1 year warranty lottos. An 8 year old Bosch dishwasher failed, only for me to remember a news article about recalls due to fire hazard. Sure enough, the info was on the Bosch site, the recall was still active, my machine serial no. was valid, and the fault was the one with the fire hazard, faulty main power relay. Fixed for free. Add to that a full repair on a one year 10 month old Nespresso machine with a 2 year warranty, courier collected with a loan machine, and the same when fixed. I only paid €79 for it new, with 100 free coffee pods.
My year old Sony XH9005 has developed dim spots on top and side edges. Sony service contractor says they can't economically replace full panels, so a new set is on the way. Happy days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom