1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TC Electronic M-One or syncblaster cable to correct lip sync

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WSH, Jan 6, 2003.

1. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have been to comet to look at the 37" panasonic screen. I had some speakers hooked up to the back two sockets. The was certainly a lip sync problem during Eastenders.

They had terrestrial and SKY hooked up. SKY was showing BBC1 so I could compare. SKY BBC1 seemed to be more out of sync than terrestrial.

I done a seach and read with interest the threads on lipsync. It looks like there are 2 options, TC Electronic M-One @ £250 or a syncblaster cable @ £70.

1. What exactly is a syncblaster cable?

2. Has anyone who has seen a lip sync problem used the cable or TC Electronic M-One and are now 100% happy?

3. Since SKY is more out of sync than terrestrial surely I will have to keep adjusting the TC Electronic M-One. The cable will only give a default level of delay?

4. I dont have an amp so is the TC Electronic M-One out of the question?

I really like the 37" panny screen but I fear I will have to buy a SONY 36" CRT because of lip sync issues .

I wont be watching DVDs on it just yet, just NTL digital and terrestrial BTW.

2. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    dont forget that sky/digi boxes have a 2-3 second delay from analog box's.i have the 42" version of the same screen and have no problems with lyp-snyc on any thing.you'll get a cheaper price for the panny on line or at richersounds!

3. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I was just in there for a demo. I wasnt going to buy from them @ around £1000 more than elsewhere. :eek:

I was listening to SKY picture with SKY sound and terrestrial picture with terrestrial sound, so the 2-3 second delay of SKY wont matter.

4. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that the TC Electronic M-One is just an effects processor for musicians - it can do a whole load of stuff and it's just being using here to create an 80ms "echo".

I don't know the history of why the TC Electronic unit was singled out but there are many to choose from of similar quality, starting at about £75 (Alesis Nanoverb 4 ). I have an old Alesis unit that I'm recalling from long term loan to try out as I am sensitive to lip synch though I'm loathed to have a 19" rack unit out on display in the lounge ! I'll post the results when I have tried it out.

5. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks cadmeister.

Is there always an 80ms delay? It seemed that on SKY there was more delay between the audio and picture than on terrestrial. Anyone else notice this?

6. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is always a delay whilst the plasma does it's conversion and scales the picture. The only exception to this I believe is for component DVD input though I stand to be corrected on that. :blush: This delay is commonly quoted as 80ms (2 cycles of the screen refresh).

That in itself might just about be OK, but it is common for SKY digital broadcasts to have a small delay already so adding to this makes the lip sync more noticable though it does vary between stations. Blow this up to 42 or even 50 inches and it's making it even more apparent.

Terrestrial is generally in synch to start with in my experience and therefore is only suffering the plasma delay and seems better though PQ is not as good - though that is subjective.

Hope this helps

7. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This Lip Sync issue keeps comming up with plasmas so I'd like to throw a question out to the board to get peoples thoughts: :confused:

I'm going be purchasing a Pioneer 50"MXE display this month, along with the Arcam DV88plus player, B&W VM1 speaker package and 'a n other' amp.

I was set to get the new Pioneer amp (VSX2011 - no Audio Delay feature), but given this issue with plasma's and lip syncing on certain sources (i.e. Sky more than DVD) should I opt for a amp with Audio Delay (i.e. the new Denon 3803)? I'll be watching 50% Sky/50% DVD.

I don't know how bad lip sync can be (as I've not owned a plasma before), and trying to get a demo via a sky broadcast is difficult - certainly in my area. I'm also not sure how bad my sensitivty to it will be. :confused:

I do however know that I'm a fussy git, and after unloading £8k to £10k on a home cinema set up I'll be dammed if I could put up with some kung fu style lip sync. :devil:

So, any thoughts? I'm not a huge fan of the Denon amps, and there aren't many other amps within a sensible price range that offer Audio Delay.

...If you were in the market for a new amp would you look for one with audio delay to cure the LS issues via plasma's?

Tim :)

8. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to throw the spanner in. Its not just with plasma's!!

I was watching a Dvhs recording of a sky movie the other night and the lipsync was so bad I had to switch it off!

My setup is as follows

SkyBOx--> JS RGB video buffer(duplicates RGB signal)---->RgB out to JS RGB to svideo converter-->JVC DVHS

The JVC then outputs SVideo (via scart) to back of Phillips TV.

As I mentioned the lipsync was terrible. I have asked myself is it Sky themselves who got it wrong or was it anything to do with the JS converter adding some lag).

Forgot to mention the DVHS player outputs sound to Denon 3801 av receiver.

Just thought I'd add this in although please forgive me if its a red herring.