Question TBS Satellite Tuner Card Linux Compatibility

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Adam792, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Adam792

Adam792
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi everyone,

Just got a question for anyone who has any experience of running a Linux-based HTPC system with a TBS branded tuner card.

My setup currently consists of an i3 machine running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty (Linux kernels
    3.16.0-30-generic), with nVidia GT630 graphics and a DVBSky S952 satellite tuner card. I'm accessing the card via TVHeadend and using Kodi as my frontend.

This all works OK but the drivers for the DVBSky card are a faff as you have to use their proprietary ones in Linux which for me knock out support of other cards, specifically my PCTV 290e DVB-T2 USB stick which I want to use as a second tuner card for Freeview HD.

I'm thinking of swapping the tuner card out for a TBS one, and wondered if anyone could tell me if they run smoothly in Linux? Moving to Windows isn't really an option as I don't want to move away from TVHeadend (it's powerful and does what I want).

I'm specifically looking to get a TBS6983 professional grade card (2x DVB-S2 tuners) as this allows you to tune in multistream channels (TVHeadend apparently supports this too). I'm specifically interested in the Italian and French satellite digital terrestial feeds on 5°W which are transmitted in this way. A very long shot I know, but has anyone had success with this too?