Taxi Driver 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Columbia Classics already released? Isn't it meant to be released at end of September?

Last edited:
Thought for a second you were talking to me, but I see there are other people here. ⏫

Glad to hear the restoration is top notch Simon!

Come on HMV, get shipping …

Looking froward to revisiting this for the 37th time, but not in last 6-7 years. So did Travis die in the end?? I still think he did...

I've never had it happen on this site before but I feel I've just been handed a shedload of spoilers, particularly for Iris :(

Sincere apologies, I've added a warning.

I've never had it happen on this site before but I feel I've just been handed a shedload of spoilers, particularly for Iris :(
assume the reviewer, would think anybody that has lived longer than 20 years is familiar with one of the greatest films of all times?

I still haven't ever watched this movie!

@Simon Crust Spot on review! It's a hard film to critique without repeating what other have said, but you managed it. Taxi Driver has some of the richest minor characters in any Scorsese film, from Peter Boyle's Wizard, from whom you get the impression that Bickle is yet another damaged Vietnam vet. in need of guidance, to Albert Brooks' Tom who in another version of the film could have been the main character.

The iTunes version has been 4K for sometime now, so great to see the physical release does the restoration justice.

I am biting my lip.

Always wanted to love Taxi Driver but never could. Never saw the point in it to be honest. The King Of Comedy is the better movie from Scorsese in my humble opinion.

No point in me watching it now.
Really? The film is a character study rather than a plot-driven thriller, so having a rough idea of the ending won't ruin the rest of the film. If you're on a Scorsese kick though, avoid spoilers for The Last Temptation of Christ.😉

A film that was well acted and that I couldn't care less about

A weird guy has some strongly held views and a pretty shitty life... Fails to do anything of note bar watching people - makes a very minor attempt to do something against a politician and when that doesn't go to plan kills some random people who were against his creed - oh, whilst peripherally being involved with some regular citizens? Did I miss something?

The film is a character study rather than a plot-driven thriller
I think this is both its biggest positive and negative - if people want to watch a film where the story is the draw this isn't it. If people want to discuss the merits of what happens and why then it makes much more sense!

Anybody who hates boring personal "When I first saw this" stories please skip this post!

This Movie will always define a certain memorable evening. Many years ago I was on tour in Europe, we did a show in Holland, & a fan of the Band I was working for gave them a Space Cake. They did nor partake, so it made its way on to our Crew Bus. Now, this is before Cell phones & internet, so after we were done loading out and on the way to the next Venue we settled down in the Back Lounge with some Cocktails & the cake, deciding which Movie to watch, & the choice was Taxi Driver. Well, turned out the Space Cake was of the "This one goes to eleven" variety, and the cake part was delicious. By the time we got to
the Brothel Shoot out we were all IN the Movie - everyone was Travis firing the gun, & when he shot the Guys fingers off on the stairs everyone was instantly that guy, and could feel it!
So, as you can appreciate, I will never forget my first viewing of that Movie! :D

Any idea of an individual release on Taxi Driver?

Because...it's ambiguous? Not sure how that can be much of a spoiler.

Going by your profile pic, that's like you saying 'Deckard might be a replicant? No point watching Blade Runner now...'

Yeah no point, I've clearly ruined the entire movie by speculating about about something that clearly is ambiguous, so don't bother. I should have waited for the 50 year anniversary to spill the beans!

Because...it's ambiguous? Not sure how that can be much of a spoiler.

Going by your profile pic, that's like you saying 'Deckard might be a replicant? No point watching Blade Runner now...'
Ha Ha, nice one Tim - he made an ill thought out snarky comment for sure - my conscience is clear!

A film that was well acted and that I couldn't care less about

A weird guy has some strongly held views and a pretty sh*tty life... Fails to do anything of note bar watching people - makes a very minor attempt to do something against a politician and when that doesn't go to plan kills some random people who were against his creed - oh, whilst peripherally being involved with some regular citizens? Did I miss something?
Jaws, some big shark kills some people, then some people kill shark
Schindlers List - A lot Jews are being killed, some Austrian dude save a good few of them
I could do this all day

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom