Tax rebate!!!

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Came home to a letter from HMRC saying they owe me £1k!! o_O

I’m always a little cautious in these situations as inevitably something will come along or break that costs me more than £1k. Or worse still I’ll get another letter tomorrow saying I owe them £1k!

Anyone know how I can make sure it’s not a calculation error? I did change jobs in November last year, got a rise and gave up the company car. I did make sure to tell HMRC that my benefits changed and I lost the car on Oct 31st.

Just hope it’s mine to keep! :D

Call HMRC and ask. I would be less suspicious of letters but worth checking. Are you registered with gov.uk/online? If so, you can check there I think.

Did your tax code go up when you changed jobs?

Option 1
Call & ask them to walk you through it. Risk being that it is an error & they notice at this point.

Option 2
Work on the basis that HMRC don't make mistakes. But invest it all in Premium Bonds for a year or so just in case.

Tax code went up yes as I gave up a company car. Also come to think of it, I was also on an emergency code from April to December if that tax year too!
I’m registered online but not sure what to check for?

Sign into your ‘Personal Tax Account’ & there should be something on the front page showing if you’re owed a tax refund. Think you can click into it to see how it was calculated as well.

I paid tax on £5K car benefit when I should have paid tax on £3k so I assume that’s because I only had the car from Apr 5th to Oct 31st then

Give me power of attorney and I will sort this matter out for you for a modest recompense. :devil:

Good God man just log into your HMRC account then opt to transfer into your bank account else it will take up to six weeks to receive a cheque. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'd just give them a call. I'm always ready for a fight when I phone HMRC but I always end having my query answered and it being a nice pleasant conversation. One day, one day.....

Sign into your ‘Personal Tax Account’ & there should be something on the front page showing if you’re owed a tax refund. Think you can click into it to see how it was calculated as well.
:clap:

Just gone to the site, and got £255 paid I didn't know about. I guess it would have come eventually, but nonetheless it's improved my morning no end.

I'm a great fan of the .gov.uk websites in general, especially HMRC & DVLA.

I'm sure I've told this story before but anyway. I remember reading an article on the best letters written to The Times newspaper and one of them was a lady who said that when her father (who was an army Major up until he left and set up a successful business) was bored, in a bad mood or just wanted a fight with someone, he would write a letter to HMRC calling them a bunch of robbing bastards and would then revel in the next few months correspondence

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom