"tattooing" a different motherboard is this possible?

ryouga

Ex Member
Reaction score
My mobo isnt compatable with quad core cpus and I want to change it, but then my recovery discs wont work.

I know of tattooing but never done it but I know you need a special disc, is this possible for a normal user?

I just think its easier than selling my quad core cpu for far less than its worth when its brand new, or exchanging for a worse cpu worth half when it wont cost much for a new mobo(I can build PC's so thats not a problem.)

Any advice?

I know it's not much help now but in future I'd definite avoid any system builders that only provide you with recovery disks rather than a full OS disk if you're going to be messing about with the hardware.

Is buying a new mobo and a copy of XP/Vista an option or would that cost too much?

I know it's not much help now but in future I'd definite avoid any system builders that only provide you with recovery disks rather than a full OS disk if you're going to be messing about with the hardware.

Is buying a new mobo and a copy of XP/Vista an option or would that cost too much?

Far too much I can barely afford a mobo as I bought 2 Q6600s for £150 each(as I thought the first one was faulty and it wasnt) also bought a new tv and my old one aint selling and im maxed on my overdraft lol.

I didnt know you see as my previous pc which was from same company the recovery discs worked on 2 different pc's(just didnt activate after 30 days without a patch)

This one try and put discs in a PC without the original mobo and it tells you its not made for that system.

as far as i am aware a machine's tattoo is saved in the DMI and usually you can re-write it. I have done a few in the past, although it is not a simple process... what brand of PC is it and where did you get it from? i can do some digging around and find out for you if you want?

The other problem is that the recovery disc may not work anyway if the mobo has a different chipset. If the drivers are too dissimilar, windows will just loop.

the current mobo is a p5lp-le pc is a compaq 2129UK the pc is great but only takes core2duos and below and cant handle quad cores.

Apart from that the mobo is perfect in every way.

I was thinking of buying another of the same brand just takes quad core cpus.

I was thinking of using Vlite to make a disc with new drivers anyway as the recovery disc is full of junk software like Norton I dont want, and I want to add drivers for the digital tv tuner and graphics card that it wasnt in the original pc(I added later)

you could always "obtain" a copy of windows from the internet. Assuming you have the licence key still you won't run into any problems.

I was thinking that and vliteing the disc and adding the drivers for mine and updates but was worried about activating as though I believe you can change the cd key on disc It wont work just like that I believe

vista requests your key as your installing, so activation shouldnt be a problem. Just make an image of your drive once your set up and you wont have to activate ever again

I was thinking that and vliteing the disc and adding the drivers for mine and updates but was worried about activating as though I believe you can change the cd key on disc It wont work just like that I believe

The disc isn't tied to a licence number. One disc will work in any computer and accept any licence (as long as you download the right SP version and even if you don't u can just ring M$) I've lent my XP and Vista disc to numerous people and none have had problems.

I was just wondering as I had a recovery disc before and I used it on a pc I built myself but bought the same mobo, and used the hd and graphics cards and dvd drive from my other pc(as it broke) and it didnt work.

Probably a recovery disc is oem or something.

I do have one of them Dell oem discs but could I vlite it with the serial number from my Compaq and add drivers and updates, so much easier.

The trouble with "downloading" an OS disc and using another oem key is it could be tied to the original disc's and not work on any other OS disc's, as for the legality/ethics of doing this I don't know but it's your call, and if it doesn't work your going to have to buy a new OS anyway, saying all that there is another option.......Linux.

Curly

The trouble with "downloading" an OS disc and using another oem key is it could be tied to the original disc's and not work on any other OS disc's, as for the legality/ethics of doing this I don't know but it's your call, and if it doesn't work your going to have to buy a new OS anyway, saying all that there is another option.......Linux.

Curly

No it's not, like i've already said. A disc isn't tied to any licence at all. You can use any windows disc with any windows licence assuming they are both the same version, XP SP2 or Vista for instance.

I can also confirm, what matters is you have the valid sticker with key. Any compatible Windows disk that accepts your key is fine and my experience is if you have to speak to someone to get the software validated they accept all reasonable explanations.

I can also confirm, what matters is you have the valid sticker with key. Any compatible Windows disk that accepts your key is fine and my experience is if you have to speak to someone to get the software validated they accept all reasonable explanations.

Well what I have done is buy another mobo from the same manufacturer, the funny thing is they look identical in every way down to the side which slots into that metal bit at back of pc case.

I think its the model up and as far as I know the things like sound chips etc are the same.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom