1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tasty / rare Monty Python items

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Jun 1, 2003.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Anyone heard of this 2 discer?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_5/102-0190064-3249744?v=glance&s=dvd

And does anyone know if the original ratio for "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" was 4:3, or has this been cropped?

Even if it has, still an essential purchase for Pythonites. Especially as DVD Soon has it at about £8 for a 2 disc set which is a bargain. :clap:

And this RI BBC release seems to be the BBC's "Python Night" broadcast:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bxgy_img_2/102-0190064-3249744?v=glance&s=dvd

How come the Yanks get BBC stuff like this before we do?

And finally, this one (drool!):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/102-0190064-3249744?v=glance&s=dvd

The Holy Grail (pardon the pun!) for Python Lovers, but, I've heard that the episodes have been cut by the distributor, whenever a song or piece of copyrighted music is used, in order to save money by avoiding royalty payments. Anyone confirm or refute this?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

See here

Disk is more than likely full frame rather than P&S.

BBC often don't have the rights to distribute the DVDs so it's up to whichever company does have the rights; hence the terrible mess we have with BBC DVDs here and to a slightly lesser extent worldwide. I think with more recent shows, however, they have been negotiating to retain the distribution rights.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Cheers Squirrel! :smashin:

On reading through the user comments on Amazon, it looks like A&E made one or two cock ups and accidentally ommitted material they had.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm amazed that Amazon let the first comment through from "Robby" that opens with:

:laugh:

5. Flibster

Flibster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The complete monty python box set is the censored version that was aired on us tv rather than the uncesored version. :(

For example...

it the Summerize Proust competition once contestant lists his hobbies as strangling small animals, masterbating and golf.

The sound mutes on the word masterbating.

However later on...

They give the prize to the girl with the biggest tits!

Sadly they used the wring version of the show to put onto dvd.

Wait a while imho...

~Flibster

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the first one (Python Live) for my brother, but I haven't heard any feedback on the quality of it. (but no complaints either)

That sucks about the box set being cut. I've been itching for a complete library of Flying Circus, but there's no way I'm buying the cut version.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The Beeb will probably milk the market first of all with "Best Ofs" and then eventually release complete seasons - hopefully supervised by the Pythons.

8. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    MontyPython - Live at the Hollywood Bowl 1982 is available on Region 4 from Australia

http://www.familyboxoffice.com.au/movie.asp?ID=8139&add=1

but I haven't had the courage to order it not knowing what the quality of the release is.

Monty Python Live - reading from various reviews, none of the comments made me inclined to order it. Might be worth waiting for something from Region 2.