1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tartan Video

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Russell, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Russell

Russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having send a stroppy fax to Tartan about their DVD output all appearing to be in a 4:3 ratio , I got an e-mail reply from them today saying that the "4:3" on the box is in fact a printing error and that all of the films are in their original ratios . Can anyone confirm or deny this ? I've asked them if they are anamorphic and will report back when I know .

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2 Tartans DVDs (Haidresser's Husband and Man Bites Dog) are in their original aspect ratios.

No anamorphic and Hairdresser says 4:3 but it's 2:35.1.

Both are excellent transfers (compared to VHS). Man Bite's Dog's subtitles are the cinema type ie -burned on so they can be hard to read (and can't be removed).

Cheapest place to get these is www.play247.com BTW.

Gary
    A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

3. Russell

Russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tartan tell me all their DVDs are original aspect ratio but non-anamorphic "to date" .

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I sent Tartan a length e-mail, as like Russell, I was angry at their constant mislabelling of film ratio's on their DVD's. Still haven't heard anything though.

I was also annoyed that "Hard-Boiled" (which I own on Anchor Bay Region 1) was released in a p*ss-poor dubbed and Pan & Scan version, and that "Cinema Paradiso" was not the longer director's cut, which you can still get on video. Plus, "Matador" is one of the shoddiest transfers ever on DVD.

I get the impression that whoever is doing the mastering of Tartan DVD's are just getting any old copy of the movie they can, and slapping it on DVD, and charging folks £20 for it!

Whilst I don't like saying this, seeing as I am a big fan of Tartan Video's VHS output, and of Tartan Video as a company, I recommend that people avoid buying these discs for the time being, until things improve. We, the consumer, deserve better!

Pooch