1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Targa DP-5100x (Lidl)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by boabw, Dec 23, 2004.

1. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw this player in Lidl for £59.99. Has anyone else heard of it and know what it is like with regards to picture quality etc.

Sounds to good to be true for the things it does against it's price. It plays Divx/Xvid, Progressive Scan, AC3 decoder, RGB scart, 7 in 2 Card Reader (neat idea) etc..

Was thinking about going for a DVD/VCR combo, I had a Philips DVP721 combo for about 2 months but it went back due to DVD issues so was thinking about skipping the whole idea of another combo unit.

I saw the Pioneer 575 which looks cool as well for £119 (MR) from Richer Sounds, it sounds the biz as well.

Any thoughts...

2. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i have just got this to day and its CRACKING FOR THE £££££ im getting a secend one asap before thay all go.
    Secendly you can upgrade the player with new firmwear when it come's out.
    ill post pic for you if you like so you can see what the picture quality is like.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I saw loads of them in my local Lidl's. It does look like a good player but, I thought it was bit expensive.

4. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :nono: Please thats a EXCELLENT price for a dvd player that can do
    DIVX & XVID &AVI /MP43.
    It hase a EXCELLENT card reader. it play's mp3 wma and is Firmware upgradable so £59.99 i think is :smashin: and i give it :thumbsup: .

PS ( nwgarratt ) Not haveing a go just saying what i think to ure comment :hiya:

5. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That would be great mate :clap: , what is the User Interface like. Does the player and remote feel cheap and nasty or does it feel like good quality?

6. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Nice player with some good features :D , ho's the picture
    Price abit much for Lidl :zonked:

Is it M/R out of box , or a remote hack . what's the build like for remote / player

:D

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Exactly what I thought. My last player from Lidl's only cost £30 and have the same functions as the Targa (minus the divx and card reader).

8. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ITS not M'R & theres NO remote hack for it. But there is a software hack as i side befor you can upgrade this player useing software :smashin:
    Ho's the Picture its good nemo look's EXCELLENT AND I DO MEAN EXCLLENT :smashin:

9. John Woo Style

John Woo Style
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very impressed, the blacks especially are fantastic! One question though, the player says it supports PAL and NTSC, and the firmware to make multiregion works great, but I've noticed there's no option to choose PAL/NTSC/auto display and it seems to be outputting in PAL at the moment... how do I set it to auto?

10. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i dont know of hand m8 ill read see if i can find out as i dont have any r1 dvd's

11. John Woo Style

John Woo Style
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe my response should be something along the lines of Doh! *slaps head*... :oops: :suicide: Really weird place to include it in the manual tho...

Remember kids, always :rtfm: :D

Oh, and for anyone interested, it's a very good player with some very good features that I was suprised to see on something comparitively cheap - am particularly liking the Black Level Enhancement (NTSC only) and floating zoom and the plethora of connections means if it keeps up in the reliability stakes (3 year warranty out of the box anyway) I'll be holding onto this one for a good while :thumbsup:

12. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if it possible to see how much time is left remaining on the dvd to play like most other dvd players do. I have searched the manual through and through but can find no mention of this.

If you press the display button you get the usual options down the side but the playing time can only be changed to time search.

Any ideas or is it not possible.

13. DrDivx

DrDivx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my Targa dvd!
    I want to rase the size of the divx movies subtitle!
    How can i do this?
    Somebody help me!

14. aligamer

aligamer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Anyone know if any store has some left ?

16. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all look's like that player is back from Monday, 14.03.05 and also £10 cheaper then last time :smashin:

DVD Player and Card Reader
    7 in 2 memory card reader enables digital pictures to be viewed on screen straight from your camera or PC's memory card.
    Card reader for all common memory cards (CF, MD, SM, MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro)
    Ultra-slim DVD Player with integrated 7 in 2 memory card reader and progressive scan
    Plays DivX, MPEG 4, XviD, JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, MP3 Windows Media and much more
    Supports Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Prologic
    With built-in 5.1 Dolby-Digital-Sound-Decoder with Virtual Surround Sound for the perfect sound experience
    Optical and coaxial digital out
    Graphical screen menu for easy play back of DVD's, JPEG images an MP3 songs
    With built-in 7 in 2 memory reader card
    Technical Data:
    - CD/DVD/VCD/SVCD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW
    - With main switch - DVD player can be completely switched off
    - Connections: S-Video OUT, Video OUT, 5.1 Audio-OUT, 1 x Scart, YUV (component /progressive scan), Audio-Digital-OUT (optical and coaxial)
    Size: approx. 43 x 4.5 x 25 cm
    3 Year manufacturer’s warranty
    Price per item
    was £59.99
    *Compared to last year

£ 49.99

:D The price can only get better :)

17. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Nice. Anyone know if it can cope with packed bitsteam xvids ?

Also what are the subtitles like with divx ?
    (small and white or white/big/black outline)

18. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mine plays anything i put in it

19. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Anyone tried divx with subtitles and care to let us know what they look like ?

20. St Landrew

St Landrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased one of these amazing slimline machines a little more than a week ago from Lidl. I have a big collection of DVDs and DiVX/XViD discs and the little anthracite beauty plays them all spectacularly well. I honestly cannot fault it. I suspect it already contains the firmware upgrade because it doesn't suffer the little 'power on/open drawer non-react' problem. DVDs are played with superb detail, and I'm sure would look excellent when viewed from Targa's own DLP projector. But what really has impressed me is the excellent stabilty and playback quality of every DiVX/XViD disc I've put through the unit. And just for a bonus it supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS; Digital/Optical/Analog/SCART inputs and outputs; and reads 7 different memory card types; Oh and it features progressive scan for TVs that can support that. It's far and away the best bargain I've picked up for some time. All that including a 3 year guarantee as standard [that's what shopping at a European store does for you], and here's the killer... the latest price is £19.99/EUR29.07/$34.23. Yes, that's no typo - a penny under twenty pounds it is! :thumbsup:

21. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a shame they are like gold dust and Lidl's dont stock enough. But i suppose it does'nt help when people get greedy and buy 9 at a time then flog them on Ebay at double or even treble the price,(Quoting "unwanted gift")etc.

P.S Glad you're enjoying the player St Landrew :smashin: excuse my ranting. :smashin:

22. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I was going to get one but I already have one of Lidl's bargain players. It is a Silvercrest KH 6678 (new version of the previous Lidl's Ebench KH6677).

It doesn't do DiVX or have a card reader. It was also £19.99 and it plays everything. It also plays DL+R which my Sony NS585 doesn't play. I currently use it on component on my Panasonic PTAE100 projector.

All Lidl's DVD players come with a 3 year warranty.

Most stores run out within minutes for these kind of bargains. Also, staff take them as well.

23. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one from ebay for £42 inc P&P after being too slow off the mark to get one from my local Lidl. I was going to pay the same price for the mysteriously unavailable DK Digital DVD-500 anyway. If you subtract the ebay/paypal and postage costs the profit is about £10, or 50%, not double or treble. Anyone paying more than that is being ripped off though IMHO. In the end it's a question of supply and demand. The ebayers have the players, and I wanted one! If you bide your time you probably could get one for a bit less than I paid as there are loads on sale at the moment.

24. SimplyBritish

SimplyBritish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merry Christmas one and all,

I got a Targa DP-5100x from Lidl's a few months ago and now i'm having a small problem with it.

I'm paying DVD's with no scratches and blemishes, but still at various points during a movie the picture freezes for a moment or two, then plays...but it gets annoying after the first 10 times it happens!

The movies play perfectly on my PS2 and other DVD players I have

Any ideas what is causing it, peeps? Or any way of stopping it from happening?

Regards,

25. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    They did a cheap Ebench player and that ended the same. No DVD would play without freezing every few minutes. The DVD drive inside was rubbish.

26. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The first Targa I had, had that problem from new. I had to have it replaced to fix it. The new one has been okay for the past six months. Apart from having some trouble with VBR MP3's which NX3 is going to test on his with his LG firmware. So contact Targa and get it replaced. And don't listen to their "the disks you are using could be incompatible with the Targa" nonsense, it is faulty

27. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    NX3's firmware works well, plays VBR Mp3's fine and can change the subtitle sizes, colours and positions. I did have to apply the Multi Region after using it as it would not play my Region 2 disks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The firmware must be from some other region.

[​IMG] NX3 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. bfuk

bfuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. Bit of advice needed. Bought this player as a home cinema kit to replace my lg. The Targa is a great DVD player but about a second before a new chapter, the picture "judders" (pauses very slightly) before continuing to next scene.. I am used to watching seamless dvds and this is bugging me.

Do you think it's a fault or is this just an annoying trait of the player? I think I'll be taking it back soon...

Cheers

29. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bfuk, what version of the firmware are you using?

Here's how to check the version:

1. On the remote, press 'Setup'.
    2. Highlight "TV Aspect" and move the cursor over to the right and highlight "16:9".
    3. With the remote's numeric keypad, enter the following digits: 1,3,9,7,1,3,9 and then press enter.

Note that the above procedure resets the player to the factory defaults, including the DVD region (you'll need to re-enable BLE etc).

30. bfuk

bfuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I think that the firmware(sdk?) is 2.1_LG_07233003.0