• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tarantino's & Rodriguez's Grind house

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Quentin Tarantino announced Kurt Russell as playing the slasher, Mad Man Mike, the baddie in DEATH PROOF, his segment in GRINDHOUSE

Tarantino's upcoming double-feature film, "Grind House," which he's filming with friend Robert Rodriguez. Rodriguez said the two were working together in Tarantino's home in Los Angeles and that his half of the movie would be more violent than Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

"His movie is called 'Planet Terror,' and mine is called 'Death Proof,' " Tarantino revealed. "Mine is sort of a slasher film, but instead of a knife, it's a car. ... His, he's dealing with zombies and all that stuff. I think his might end up being more violent, but I'm not finished with my [script] yet, so you never know."

He and Rodriguez are particularly excited about shooting fake "trailers" that will enhance the "Grind House" experience. "That's one of the things we're looking the most forward to, shooting the phony trailers that will play in between the movies. I'm working out my blaxploitation trailer, and possibly a kung-fu trailer, a sexploitation trailer, a spaghetti-western trailer. I just need to kind of work them out a little bit. I'm just getting them down there, but I think for sure I'm going to do the sexploitation trailer, which is called 'Cowgirls in Sweden.' "

Adding that the phony "Sweden" trailer will probably star some of the women already cast in "Death Proof," Tarantino said they plan to shoot their irreverent trailer-within-a-movie-within-a-movie double feature at the beginning of next year.

updated 26.7.06;

This is the description of the brief Planet Terror trailer shown at comic-con - there is no trailer available yet for viewing for the public, i know ive looked.

On Saturday 22nd July at Comic-Con International Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino presented a clip from the Robert Rodriguez portion of the their double feature Grindhouse.

Titled Planet Terror this 4-5 minute clip opened with the same Technicolor type opening that "Kill Bill" had. Riffing on the old AIP pictures that delivered so many exploitation films from the past, the logo has been changed to RIP (Rodriguez International Pictures) and seems to uphold the tradition honorably. This film was shot digitally yet it featured all the grain cheapness that we have come to expect from these older movies.

We open with Tom Savini playing a sheriff. He runs into the police station revealing his bloody hand where a finger was taken off. After bantering a bit with prisoner Freddy Rodriguez and Michael Biehn (another police officer), the officers leave the station to find out what's going on. All they find is an abandoned car with the glass broken and Savini's ring. Music is going the whole time which very much recalls the scores created by John Carpenter. This and the dirty images on screen seem to mesh perfectly.

Suddenly, we were treated to a faux trailer for a movied called They Call Him Machete with Danny Trejo as the star. We find out that "He kills the bad guys..." and "He gets the women." Trejo is shown readying his knives and fornicating around with scantily clad babes. We also see him mounting a machine gun to his motorcycle and riding around on his bike shooting at things. There is a real 1970s feel to this clip as well which makes sense the filmmakers seem intent on replication the "grindhouse" experience.

We next moved to a scene in Planet Terror of Rose McGowan without a leg and Freddy Rodriguez trying to help her escape a hospital. He gives her a table leg as a stump and then we quickly moved into a scene of Rodriguez engaged in a knife fight as he tries and get them past these zombies. According to the director, these things look like zombies but that isn't what they are. Rodriguez kills a few of them and then as more descend upon him he runs up the wall, does a Hong Kong style flip and gets away.

After that we moved into a shot of Quentin Tarantino (playing a weird doctor) outfitting McGowan's stump with a machine gun. She and Rodriguez are next seen in a bevy of fight scenes that culminate with both of them on a motorcycle and McGowan shooting any beasts that get in their way.

Attachments

• Planet-Terror1.jpg
    Planet-Terror1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Planet-Terror2.jpg
    Planet-Terror2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Death-Proof1.jpg
    Death-Proof1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 151

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Thats sounds the nuts :D :D

Really really looking forward to this now

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Neil

philbam

Established Member
Sounds great!! Should it have read "detached thumbnails" rather than "attached thumbnails"?

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Just re-read that & I think I'm looking forward to their fake trailers bit the most...sounds like such a great idea :)

Neil

chaddy

Banned
lovemunkey187 said:
This could be in my top 5 must see films of next year, along with Sin City 2, 300 (thank you Frank Miller) Spidey 3 & POTC3
what about The simpsons movie and transformers and Teenage mutant ninja turtles ?

lovemunkey187

Established Member
chaddy said:
what about The simpsons movie and transformers and Teenage mutant ninja turtles ?

The Simpsons - Not a huge fan of the series, so....
The Transformers - Hope this is gonna be fandabbidozie, but not gonna hold my breath. But I will be there on opening day:)
Turtles - For some reason I've got it into my head that this a CGI animated flick, if so then I'm not gonna bother with it. I wanna see 4 blokes dressed in green rubber costumes and a 5 feet tall rat. I like the original too much.

hottstuff

Banned
Hmmm how far can these movies go.
For the first time im looking at it going , same old same old , dusk till dawn gets re-run in 2006 with even wilder " teenage girls kicking ass"

Have to wait and see.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Hmmm how far can these movies go.
For the first time im looking at it going , same old same old , dusk till dawn gets re-run in 2006 with even wilder " teenage girls kicking ass"

Have to wait and see.

i think it will have more to it than just that. There's alot of interesting looking characters; Machette, Michael Biehn, a girl with a gun for a leg is pretty wild!, they are out to make one hell of a explotation movie, well 2, im all with that.

Good to see Robert Rodriguez letting his hair down after doing the Spy Kids movies, and the great Sin City, and he might even do a better job than Tarantino for his movie segment.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
That looks the nuts I seriously cant wait to see that.

Probably my most anticipated movie for next year now.

Neil

P

pags payback

Good to see Robert Rodriguez letting his hair down after doing the Spy Kids movies, and the great Sin City, and he might even do a better job than Tarantino for his movie segment.

Nah I doubt it. Sin City was ok to good imho which was a let down from my point of view. He seems to have lost his edge since doing the Spy Kids trilogy just look at how fundamently poor Once Upon A Time In Mexico was compared to his other movies especially Desperado and From Dusk Till Dawn.

I hope RR does return to form 'cause I loved his earlier pre spy kids films now he's a so-so director based on post Spy kids films.:(

As for Tarantino after this he'll take ten year break popping up at festivals saying he'll make this movie and that but making something else eventually...I can't blame him if I was him I wouldn't work that much if I didn't need to.

figrin_dan

Established Member
they are out to make one hell of a explotation movie, well 2, im all with that.

I've never understood this term. Who are they exploiting?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I've never understood this term. Who are they exploiting?

Us!. The paying public. We think we are seeing something we should not. So we are curious.

Another conception is that women were/are exploitated in horror movies, alot of older movies women get a rough deal.

The word "exploitation" itself is a show business term for publicizing shows and motion pictures. "Exploitation films" are those whose success relied not on the quality of their content, but on the ability of audiences to be drawn in by the advertising of the film.

more here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploitation_film

The movies look good, but I would have preferred them to link together somehow. The girl with the gun-leg could appear in the car movie or something.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom