Tarantino XX: Celebrating 20 Years of Filmmaking (10 disc Blu-ray)

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a9sx.jpg

e4kg.jpg

Surprising release! I'd seen this around but didn't think anything of it (looked like something ASDA would be selling in their petrol stations for £9.99) but seen it for £25 in a pawn shop and noticed the 2 discs bursting with extras. Zavvi seem the cheapest if you want new: http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/tarantino-xx/10625572.html £49.95 or CeX £32.50 shipped http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5060223768229

Seems to be a port of the US release http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/58132/tarantino-xx/ with added censors labels.

Real pictures of the set: http://www.superdeluxebluray.com/first-pictures-tarantino-xx-box-set/

Blu-ray.com said:
For the supplementary material contained on the individual films, please see the review links above for further information. This box set does include two bonus discs of exclusive content, including:

Bonus Disc One

Critics' Corner: The Films of Quentin Tarantino (HD; 4:50:44). It's a little odd that Lionsgate included these as a bonus, since large swaths of at least some of these discussions have been included as supplementary features on standalone prior releases (and in fact are contained here on the individual film discs included in this set). These discussions offer critical analyses of all the films in this set. Elvis Mitchell moderates, with other participants including Scott Foundus, Stephanie Zacharek, Tim Lucas and Andy Klein. They start with Reservoir Dogs, talking about whan an unexpected experience it was at the time, including its use of non sequiturs and pop culture refernce. Some of the film's more gruesome elements are also mentioned. Pulp Fiction is lauded as a master filmmaker, even if Zacharek still doesn't like it very much. She feels its success is due to marketing and that the film is too self-conscious for its own good. Jackie Brown turns out to be one of the favorites of the bunch, including Mithcell. Lucas was especially impressed by the film's use of older actors who really hadn't been given many opportunities to really shine in their later careers, like Pam Grier and Robert Forster. Kill Bill turns out to be Andy Klein's favorite Tarantino movie, and he talks about how it's cobbled together from elements from a hugely disparate assortment of other films but which never seems blandly derivative. Klein continues to talk about the strong female at the center of Death Proof. Zacharek is kind of funny talking about not being able to assess whether Tarantino's violence turns off women since she loves violent films so much. Lucas avers that Inglourious Basterds is a film about language, mentioning how ironic it is therefore that the title is misspelled. Foundas discusses the film's odd "once upon a time" set up, contrasting it with the typical World War II "based upon a true story" approach. True Romance is covered as Tarantino's first produced screenplay. Lucas mentions the film's emphasis on comic books. While this is an okay assemblage of these round tables, it's also full of useless blather like "yeah, that was a really great moment" or "what a fantastic character!" There is some salient analysis here, but it tends to be on the chatty, pop culture side of things, which is perhaps a propos considering it's Tarantino, after all.

Bonus Disc Two

Quentin Tarantino: 20 Years of Filmmaking (HD; 2:13:21) is a fantastic career retrospective that starts with Tarantino's early screenwriting attempts (there's a funny anecdote told by Lawrence Bender where he met Quentin and didn't believe that he had written True Romance, which Lawrence had read and loved). The early if controversial success of Reservoir Dogs gave Quentin something approaching carte blanche, though Robert Rodriguez imparts that Tarantino was actually kind of insecure about how Pulp Fiction would be received. Stacey Sher compares Tarantino to Roger Corman, at least in his desire to keep things on a tight budget. If Reservoir Dogs raised awareness of Tarantino (if also simultaneously raising a few hackles), Pulp Fiction completely opened the floodgates, and there is some really good content about the whole "wave" of independent film that seemed to follow in the wake of Tarantino's success. Pam Grier and Robert Forster on hand in very vocal appreciation for the opportunity Tarantino provided both of them when their careers weren't exactly totally on fire. What probably won't surprise some who love the director's eclectic approach in his films is the overwhelming knowledge Tarantino possesses about world cinema. Several talking heads here discuss Tarantino's seemingly inexhaustible love of all sorts of films, from chop socky to Golden Age Hollywood classics. One person jokes that Tarantino bought a screening room with a house attached. There's also a fantastic tribute to Sally Menke, Tarantino's longtime editor. Tarantino tells a great anecdote at an award ceremony about Menke's work on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Jackie Brown Q&A: A Film Independent at LACMA Event (1080i; 32:15). Elvis Mitchell hosts Pam Grier, Robert Forster and Quentin Tarantino himself. There's nothing really earth shattering shared here, but there's a very obvious and visceral camaraderie between these three that just as obviously translated into the film experience. Tarantino is very charming and quite funny, if also a bit manic, throughout this.

Django Unchained—Coming Soon (HD; 10:43) is a collection of trailers for Tarantino's next project, including:

International Teaser Trailer

North American Teaser Trailer

International Trailer

North American Trailer

Red Band Trailer

Love the sound of this so will prep a real Tarantino marathon!

This has been out for almost a year now.

...completely missed it!

Some stuff just passes me by and it's not help that there's virtualy no promo work done by the distributors.

Not in this case. TV, radio and print ads aplenty.

Probably not in the Daily Mail, mind...

I ordered this from a seller on Amazon Marketplace last week (as did a bunch of people, it was up on HUKD too later on) for just over £20! And it's been dispatched! So if this arrives in mint, I just got this bad boy for a third (or just under half) of the price it usually is! If it turns out to be something else, I'm angry and I'll send it back. But if it turns out to be the real deal, I'm selling my Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill amarays.

Hopefully you have the right item -the back cover does just peel off so it's possible it could be put on one of those other Tarantino sets I've seen kicking about. UPC should be 5060223768229. There seems to be very similar releases on mainland Europe (a 9 Blu-ray version in Germany) so fingers crossed you get one of them.

Hopefully you have the right item -the back cover does just peel off so it's possible it could be put on one of those other Tarantino sets I've seen kicking about. UPC should be 5060223768229. There seems to be very similar releases on mainland Europe (a 9 Blu-ray version in Germany) so fingers crossed you get one of them.

I will find out in the next day or two!

The only bad thing about this set is that the die hard fans will probably have quite a few of these already!

The only bad thing about this set is that the die hard fans will probably have quite a few of these already!

Indeed -never going to look at those discs -it's the 2 bursting with extras Blu-rays that caught my eye.

Still very much on my 'to buy list' and it will sit very nicely next to my Django steelbook.

The only reason I have yet to bite is that I saw the Kill Bills and Jackie Brown on Netflix only quite recently, and money is as tight as a duck's arse.

The Kill Bill Zavvi steelbook isn't pricey and looks pretty good - pretty sure its more sturdy than that Django steelbook anyway (not that it takes much!).

That upcoming Zavvi Jackie Brown steelbook is just horrible though - German steelbook looks better but I sold it a while back. Im sticking with the plain amaray.

This is one of the best buys I have ever made.

Its just stunning. :D

This is one of the best buys I have ever made.

Its just stunning. :D

Think mine should arrive today :)

EDIT: just got it...sick package, excellent artwork + some actual extra special features?! Ideal package...gonna have to sell my amarays now though (might sell a couple of Coen Brothers ones whilst I'm at it)

Last edited:
I watched Pulp Fiction last night. It really bothered me that Lance's smoke detector was on the wall and not the ceiling - I think it's one of those films I've seen too many times.

Think mine should arrive today :)

EDIT: just got it...sick package, excellent artwork + some actual extra special features?! Ideal package...gonna have to sell my amarays now though (might sell a couple of Coen Brothers ones whilst I'm at it)

Nice.

I'll expect some reviews from you later Mr rapta :)

I watched Pulp Fiction last night. It really bothered me that Lance's smoke detector was on the wall and not the ceiling - I think it's one of those films I've seen too many times.

I like the adrenaline shot scene and how you see operation and game of life board games in the background.

I could go on and on about all the little things that I love about that film.

This is now £43.99 at Zavvi

The reviewers sitting down talking through [about] his films is probably one of the best extras I've seen. 4+ hours of chat!

Can anyone comment on this set about Picture quality by the looks of Capsaholic

Kill Bill looks to have the better transfer on the box set only very slightly but it's noticeable.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 | Blu-ray: US vs. Blu-ray: DE 20 Years of Filmmaking

same with Kill Bill 2

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 | Blu-ray: US vs. Blu-ray: DE 20 Years of Filmmaking

And True romance looks a lot better

True Romance | Blu-ray: DE 20 Years of Filmmaking vs. Blu-ray: UK Director's Cut

But is the DE. german release different to the UK one?

I want the better transfers the xx set has but want to know if i will need to get the German release any comments?

This is sat under my xmas tree, waiting to be unwrapped, since i sold all the steelbook versions, my mum got me this set when it was on offer , looking forward to it

So, has anyone checked if this set contains the better quality transfer of True Romance?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom