1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantino - the best yet ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by edinburgh160, May 24, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just watched Kill Bill Vol 1 (again - the R3), and every time I watch this movie I am utterly astounded at this mans gift for giving the ULTIMATE in cinema.
    I cranked up the DTS and dimmed the lights and failed to compare the experience with ANY other movie in my collection (on the 42" plasma it is sheer quality). IMHO compared to the trash that the likes of Lucas etc spurts out with their money and CGI (and lack of ideas and perception Tarantino is a legend.
    Take Kill Bill. The cinemotography, colours, direction, cast and (especially) the music just adds up to total perfection. The fight in the House of Leaves which leads on to the battle with Rishi is utterly brilliant (the guy heard the music for this in an airport and sought it out !!).
    This, along with Pulp Fiction, Vol.2, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and (albeit writing only) True Romance SURELY puts this guy up with the very best.
    Can't wait for Hell Ride :)

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    aggred i would rather watch a film with great chartaters, story, dialouge etc then a CG fest. Films are losing there touch now. atleast we can wait for Inglorious Bastards a warfilm by QT now thats got to be one good film...

3. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon Tarantino has shot his wad. Yes, Pulp Fiction is exceptional. However, I think his best films are behind him. Thought kill bill 2 was very poor, even boring. Volume 1 was very good though.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Kill Bill is certainly a very fine example of the ultra-violent martial arts genre, and there are one or two pleasant surprises, such as (spoiler, highlight to read) the flashback to Lucy Liu's youth being done as a Manga animation rather than live action but I would have to take issue with anyone who describes Kill Bill as "a great film" rather than merely "a great martial arts film".

I'm a huge fan of Pulp Fiction, and Quentin Tarantino's earlier scripts (not just for Reservoir Dogs, but also for films he didn't direct such as From Dusk Till Dawn - the first half, anyway - and True Romance are also very fine. I also quite liked Jackie Brown. But Kill Bill is very much a triumph of style over substance. The characters didn't interest me, neither did the plot, or the dialogue. So yeah, as martial arts films go, it's a splendid and exciting visual spectacle, but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

5. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Gotta agree that he is one of the best at the mo - Although I found many people thought that after pulp fiction he has not returned to form and kill bill (both) were his worst to date. Personally my preferance of film order is
    Pulp Ficion
    Kill Bill vol 1
    Resevoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Kill Bill vol 2
    His latest "Inlgorious Bastards" has Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Eddie Murphy(yep you read right) Adam Sandler (ummm...) and maybe Bo Stepenson - Script is written but production has not begun.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Presume "Inglorious Bastards" is a remake of this, which is a movie I remember from the early days of home video under the title of "The Inglorious Bastards" - basically a spaghetti "Dirty Dozen".

Noticed on the movie poster for "Sin City" the credit "Special Guest Director - Quentin Tarantino".

7. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,246

Quentin Tarantino got paid exactly $1 to film a scene in Sin City. Robert Rodriguez co-directed the rest of the film with Frank Miller. Tarantino filmed a scene in the final segment featuring Clive Owen, Benicio Del Toro and Brittany Murphy.

Tarantino paid Rodriguez $1 to compose the score for "Kill Bill Vol. 2

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Have very high hopes for this movie, particularly with Miller's involvement. Have been a big fan of his since the days of The Dark Knight Returns.

Roll on next week! :thumbsup:

9. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I managed to snag a couple of tickets for the preview showing on Wednesday night :D :cool: :thumbsup: :D

And I am getting really, really excited.

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Am I the only person who thinks tarantino is an awful director?

11. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Probably not.
    But there are probably many more film fans who disagree.

I personally love his films, love the dialogue, plots and the pace of his films. They keep you involved, make you laugh, make you think. They are easy to watch again and again.

My personal favourites are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I still need to watch Kill Bills a couple more times as these have not grown on me to the same extent.

12. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    no

he's :censored: **** :censored:

Never had an original idea in his life, total plagiarism of far,far greater directors. Kill Bill was so 'copy and paste' it was shocking. And as for his so called great dialogue, I often find it so forced and stilted that it sounds like the actors are just reading over the lines prior to shooting. :thumbsdow

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Don't get me wrong, the dialogues great, but all the macho themes running through all his movies really gets to me in a bad way, were's the emotion? Is this why tony scott directed true romance?

When a character in a Tarantino movie dies for example, I care not, his films seem to be full of willy wavers

14. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm glad you missed out "story". Tarantino did.

15. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I enjoyed the story to Kill Bill, very simple, but aren't the best things in life? Attempted murder of lead character, who in turns hunts down the gang with some nice twists and turns along the way.

16. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true that the story for Kill Bill is very basic, however the same can't be said about Pulp Fiction / Jackie Brown / True Romance.
    Tarantino has always been about buckling up for 2+ hours of escapism. If I want a complicated story I would not go and see his movie.
    He has a knack of pulling actors/actresses careers right back up there.
    His new film has Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler in it - and i guarantee that they will be perfect.

17. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Was that not the point??? Ironic western film making, dropping reference to anything and everything eastern along the way, whilst part two tapped into the old spag western??!?!

Personally, I love it....

Pete.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    is it just me that prefers vol II to vol I?

19. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Well KILL BILL 1 fantastic Kill Bill two not a repeat! :eek: shock horror come on guys this is why he split movie two different themes based on the same plot. You are all missing the point, If you want repeatability go watch corrie for christ sake :rolleyes:

mep is right my father loved kill dill 2 even more then one [in his sixties]

20. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    don't get your point about a repeat (but I've had a few glasses :) )

I hope age hasn't got anything to do it with it .....as i'm not in my sixties! :)

21. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    :rotfl: Well what i mean is Kill bill 2 isn't an action packed slaughterhouse like part 1 if he repeated this there would'nt be any point in making a second movie he could have stretched kill bill 1 out instead. He wanted a different theme which i imagine is very hard to achieve in one movie alone. Or as i suspect he used this ploy to sucker producers into another pay check..still a very good movie i feel.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i agree....i think 2 is a good contrast to 1.....still plenty of action....but i like the way the story unfolds in 2

23. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Well i new someone would agree with me oneday :smashin:

24. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I watched Pulp Fiction last night and I had forgotten just how great it was. I think that the Kill Bill films are good ( 1 better than 2 but I appreciate why they had to be different...) but not in the same league as Pulp and Reservoir Dogs. When all is said and done we all have different tastes and you can't please everyone no mater what.

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Coming out of leftfield, i'd go for "Jackie Brown" as Mr T's best film.

Doesn't rely on violence like his other movies maybe thats why people seem to dislike it? i love the script; his direction: (is peerless although not as flashy as it is in PF or KB1) the performances; and when we got into the "the job" its simply breath taking.

Jackie Brown all the way.

Gary