1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoys

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nelly, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can find on-line some price lists for any of the Tannoy Saturn or definition range? I have searched long and hard to try and find out what the going rate for these speakers are and so far am struggling to get very far!

Thanks for any help,

Matt

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.hifistore.co.uk do most of the Tannoy range. Not sure about those though. Very good service too.

Steve

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Tannoy Saturn didn't sell too well in the UK because of the huge rooms that they needed to be in. Because of this, the S8 should be discounted to about £450, or thereabouts. Global HiFi in Newcastle has an ex - dem for this price. The Definitions are much better. Superb cabinets (the Saturns were more than a little crap in comparrison) and sound mean that they are still quite expensive - and rare. I have seen the little D100's for £300 and the D300 for £800. If you are planning on creating a 5.1 speaker system, then be prepared for the Definition centre: £1000, and (if memory serves) 1 x 8" dual concentric and 2 x 8" bass drivers!

I prefer the KEF UniQ drivers

Russell

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
  5. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys; but I now in a massive dilemma! Why do the Saturns need to be in a big room?

I have to admit that I love the look of the definition range - but they are SO expensive - especially that centre speaker :( This is why I am considering the Saturn stuff - due to money. Trouble is my living room is not that big, so if the saturns require big space... I'm stuffed.

I'll have to buy a new house to fit my desired gear in :) maybe I can arrange to get an extension on the mortgage to finish my system! I'm sure my wife won't mind :rolleyes:

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Saturns, as is Tannoys way, use bigger drivers to deliver more bass, rather than many smaller drivers (like Acoustic Energy). So the S8 has two 8" drivers, in a large cabinet, ported to the front. The amount of bass the Saturns (which were designed for the american market) produce means that they will overwhelm a smaller room. Also, the Saturns don't really sound that good, certainly not in the same level as the Definition range, and have been replaced by the Iris range.

Russell