Tannoy XT6F vs XT8F (demoed B&W CM9 S2)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by rocsen, Aug 8, 2016.

1. rocsen

rocsen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I can't demo these speakers and was hoping someone could give some insight into the difference between the two or which would be best suited for a room size of about 4.5m x 4.5m (2.5m ceiling height)

Recently demoed the CM9 S2 and found the presentation a bit crisp. Bass was also lacking a bit.
    Will the Tannoys be warmer sounding? How does bass compare?

Many thanks

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,959
    You found the B&W CM9 ...a bit crisp? That's odd these are generally considered a mellow laid back speakers. Any chance you can audition them in a different location? See what they sound like in a different environment?

I would say the Tannoy in general are a bit on the crisp side. Whether excessively so is a matter of opinion.

The CM9 runs about £2000/pr. The Tannoy Revolution XT6F runs about £1000/pr, and the more expensive XT8F runs about £1300/pr.

Though of limited value, these are supposedly the Revolution XT8F played with a Cambridge 851 Amp.

Cambridge Audio 851 Series + Tannoy Revolution...

They seem very clear.

Tannoy Revolution XT Explained (Part 1)

If you want a mellow warmer speaker consider Wharfedale. The Wharfedale Diamond are probably going to be a but under budget, and the Wharfedale Reva are probably going to be a bit over -

Wharfedale Diamond 240 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 250 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Audio Affair - Wharfedale Reva-3 Speakers (Pair)

Audio Affair - Wharfedale Reva-4 Speakers (Pair)

The REVA are priced close to the Revolution speakers.

REVA-3 | Wharfedale Hi-Fi

Reva-4 | Wharfedale Hi-Fi

If you found the B&W CM9 on the bright side, then I'm not sure what to recommend in that price range.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  3. rocsen

rocsen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve. I must say, being laid back didn't cross my mind when I listened to them. It might have been the amp SV-237 or the shop (all concrete)

I've read reviews saying the 683 S2 is a bit bright and I found them very similar to the CM's except the 683 had a more powerful bass response.

Brightness was also very similar to the Kef R700 although vocals sounded a bit "metallic" on the Kef. When I say bright, I don't mean it's clipping or shrill, just that the treble is a bit loud. Sounded better if I turn the volume down but at the expense of closing down the soundstage and bass response.

Maybe a more sensitive speaker like the XT6F would be better so I don't have to crank up the volume so much for them to sing?

How would the Concept 40's compare to these?

4. Jima4a

Jima4a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have not heard the Tannoys but I would never consider the R700s bright, actually feel they are a bit polite.

5. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I would def say the concept 40s were a mellow warmer sounding speaker than the kef. Never heard the CM9 but I did demo the Cm8 and when comparing those with the concepts my opinion above would be a fair refection. That said when pushed hard the treble on the Concept 40 started to struggle but in all other environments I thought they had a much warmer disposition. I don't think you will get on with the tannoy xt6 as again possibly too forward for you though the xt8 will clearly give more weight to bass presentation the same concentric driver is going to be used to give that 'forward' treble.
    Personally I ended up with tannoy though not the xt range as I like the clarity the concentric driver gives but to balance it you do need some bass to go with it so maybe the xt8 or 10s would work well the precision series do as the fairly large cabinets help to keep everything in check.
    The Q ACOUSTICS Concept 40 certainly did catch my attention though as i thought they delivered excellent bang for buck it was only the treble when running them pretty hot that stopped me buying some.

6. rocsen

rocsen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Longy00000, I'm going to demo the Dali Opticon 6 and Tannoy Precision 6.4 this afternoon (they dont have the XT8F unfortunately)
    Will see how it goes :)

How would you compare the XT8F with your 6.4s?
    And how do they sound at lower volume? I need something that can sound bigger than a bookshelf speaker, even at lower volume.

I'll probably get the same AVR you have, but the 2060

7. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I haven't heard the xt8 so couldn't comment on hem but the xt6 didn't come close to the precision 6 but then at full retail the precision range are more than double the price.
    The opticons are a good speaker too (I demoed them as well !). They were very middle of the road good at everything bad at nothing but just didn't get me tapping my feet. Probably more of a movie speaker than a music speaker....but your own ears may tell you different. The precision are quite a large speaker 42 litres in 6.4 and do carry a nice weight to them even at low volume. Excellent clarity and treble with proper bass but do sound sharp when first run. This does mellow in time I have my treble knocked down 2 points on the avr tone control where as it was knocked 6 down when first delivered. I also run less subwoofer with these than o have with other speakers.
    Finish is nothing short of sublime.

Make sure you post your thoughts after the audition.

8. rocsen

rocsen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished a demo on the following:
    Tannoy XT6F and Precision 6.4
    B&W CM10 S2
    Dali Opticon 6
    Dali Rubicon 6

Massive price difference between these but amazingly, to my ears, the Dali Opticon 6 sounded the best.

The Tannoys sounded a bit forward in mids/upper mids. The XT6F lacked bass.
    The B&W was again too razor sharp/forward on the treble.
    The Rubicon was weird, very similar to Opticon but it sounded like the sound was triangulating just behind my head, was quite annoying. Double checked speaker positioning as well.

I'm by no means an audiophile and it probably shows, but just confirms how important it is to demo speakers as everyone has different ideas of what sounds good.

Wish I could demo them in my apartment though!

Thanks again for the advice :)

9. AndyC_772

AndyC_772

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've had recent demos of some of the same speakers you've been listening to. You can read about my thoughts at the time here:

Considering a forklift upgrade of my 16 yr old system

I've had my Spendor D7's a couple of weeks, and much as I hate to say it, I'm not 100% convinced I made the right decision. Some tracks sound fabulous; others have a hard, glassy upper midrange which is quite unpleasant to listen to. There's an artificial splashiness to cymbals too, but again, only on some recordings, which is probably how I missed it.

[Edit]: I've since found out that the issue wasn't the speakers at all, but the source. Using a good analogue output rather than the DAC in my AVR has solved the problem completely :)

I remember the XT8F as being all about timing and definition, and fantastic if that's what you're looking for. I didn't hear the XT6F, but I did hear the DC10Ti, which is probably the only true "full range" speaker I've ever heard. Provided you don't mind a couple of walnut monoliths in your lounge, I doubt there's a better way to get a sound that's beautifully integrated all the way from the deepest bass upwards. They were almost as taut as the XT8F too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Wow some big difference s there. So are the opticons on order then [emoji6]
    Interesting the comments about timing with the tannoy...I would whole heartedly agree and I think that's where my foot tapping test comes in.i have never heard the rubicon but heard good things about them.
    Though time and time again the best advice and the best reviews really count for nothing with speakers.
    The bottom line is there aren't any bad speakers anymore they are all good ..to someone...and that's the point.
    Spendor. ..excellent speakers. ..yet above is not convinced ?
    Rubicon.....sounded weird?
    Kef R series....I was really disappointed

You just HAVE TO DEMO. It really is the only way to even get close to getting what you wanted.
    All our ears are just so different in what we determine as a Nice Sound.
    Anyway I'm really glad your auditions have paid dividends and narrowed down what you like and just as important what you don't like.

11. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Been their recently too, IMHO

Spender Very good with most music
    Rubicon Ribbon makes thing quite heavy up top
    Kef R Didn't excite
    Focal Stunning for the money
    B&W Didn't excite

Some of the issues are for sure down to poor demo, I can't believe how bad some demo's have been. Speaker right out the box, wrongly located for the speaker being demo'ed ...

I have to say none hanging the results I go at home with the home demo. They failed to get good clean bass in general.

12. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As we say over and over again it is really important to demo stuff and make your mind up based on what you hear and whether you like it or not. We all have different likes and preferences on the tone and features of the sound. Our ears are different and hear things (tones especially) differently so what one person likes may sound a bit gash or uninspiring to someone else. For me, personally, I see lots of positive write ups for Q Accoustics but I just can't get on with them. They sound cheap and harsh to me. The other critical thing is the amp you are using to drive the speakers.

In general I find Tannoy a pretty neutral and flexible speaker. They will work well with a wide variety of amps. The best spekaers I have ever heard were a pair of Tannoy Studio Monitors in a recording studio. They were stunning and completely blew me away. I have been a fan of them ever since.

I have demo'd quite a few amp and speaker combinations over the past couple of years and it is staggering how different either an amp or a pair of speakers can sound when paired. I quite like brighter amps when paired with slightly warmer amps as that tends to give a nice balance. For example, an Arcam A19 driving a pair of Kef R500s was ok. A bit tame. A Cyrus 6 driving the R500s brought them to life and was a lovely combination. Likewise, a Cyrus amp driving a pair of Spendor A6Rs (which Cyrus were using atthis year's Bristol show) was a lovely combination. Detailed, full but nothing overbearing. I currently have a pair of B&W CM6 S2s and they are a very nice pair of speakers. Currently paired with an old Rotel amp it sounds great. Looking for a new amp I have tried Arcam A39 (not as good as I was hoping - a tad lack lustre really), Primare i22 (actually, very nice but just didn't quite have the sparkle I wanted), Rotel RA12 (bit disappointed and sounded a lot duller than the Primare - surprised me), NAD 356BEE (quite dull and very lacklustre, again quite a surprise to me), Roksan Kandy K2 (dull, dull dull) and Audiolab 8300a (curently the best that I have tried - lovely combination that captured the brighter frequencies while still providing warm and full bass). The trouble is I still get a bit of an itch to change the speakers. Having gone with the B&Ws I find I need to get an amp that will work well with them but I also want to keep an eye on the future where I may change the speakers and the new amp has to ork well with what I choose. I am excited to try the new Cyrus 1 amp but I should also try the Rega as I hear good things about them. Tannoy were using them at the Bristol show the last two years and that was a reasonable combination. Another star at this year's Bristol show, for me, was the new Pioneer A70 which was driving a pair of Kef R500s (I think it was the 500s and not the 700s) and that sounded superb. Good bass and a weighty, solid punch. I wanted to like the Dali Opticons at the Bristol Show but, to me, the pairing with the Roksan amp didn't work - the top end was just a bit too bright and harsh for me. However, with a different amp they may sound superb. Which I am inclined to think they will as I do like Dali speakers.

So, the bottom line is you need to try and find places where you can demo the combinations you want to try. The first thing to establish though is what sort of sound you like and then start to pick the potential combinations based on that or else you will spend hours, days and weeks trying things out. :)