Tannoy xt6f in room 3m x 4m??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dannyedwards, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dannyedwards

dannyedwards
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    Currently have a denon avr with wharfedale dx-1 speakers and sub.
    My use is 80% films 20% music.
    Looking into upgrading the front left and right speakers to start with and am keen on tannoy xt6f.
    I had a demo this week of the tannoys and monitor audio silver 6.
    Monitor audio's did have a better low end but both were similar I felt in other areas, very clear and enjoyable to listen to.
    My lounge is 3m x 4m and the tv viewing goes across the 3m.
    Would the tannoy xt6f be good enough for this space along with my current sub, or am I best going with the xt8f that have larger 8" woofers??
    Any opinion would be appreciated,
    Dan

2. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    With a room that isnt that large, and a focus on movies overall, I would question the use of floorstanders personally. The current sub you have wont do them justice, so with speakers like these I would probably recommend you purchase with a view to adding in a worthy subwoofer at some point. IMO, I think you would be just as well with a pair of 6F stand mounts and a proper subwoofer. A good subwoofer will outperform even the floor standers, and I cant see you gaining anything by adding the floorstanders except a bigger drop in your bank account and potentially less to spend on the purchase of a worthy sub.

The XT8F do have the larger woofers so will produce more bass, but again if youre adding a subwoofer woofers and using that for the bass anyway, it doesnt seem a productive way of using your budget when that money will get you a better subwoofer that will IMV make a bigger difference overall. If music was 80% your focus, then floorstanders make a lot more sense, but I this doesnt seem your set up.

3. dannyedwards

dannyedwards
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice audio visual.
    Your not the first to suggest the sub is probably my weak area for films.
    Think I will get either a bk sub or an svs and go from there.
    Any recommendations for my best option for £600 or under??
    Dan

4. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    In the SVS range the obvious options are the 1000 series subwoofers. The 2000 series are an upgrade on that but a little over your budget. If you want to give me a call though I could run through the options with you and its a bit quicker and easier to discuss your requirements.

5. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    If you can handle the looks of the 'standmount' Tannoy 6 I'd go for them and buy a BK sub.

Probably this one

XXLS400-DF

This one would almost certainly be all you need in your size room

XLS200-DF

But if you want the very last drop of slam in action films then the 400 may be more suitable if properly controlled.

Hence...

And one of these days just to make certain the sub isn't misbehaving.

Anti Mode 8033-1

If you were a music first fellow then I'd probably suggest the XT8Fs without a sub.

6. Adiedinburgh

Adiedinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Great advice so far from other members, good sub will totally transform your system, I'd personally recommend svs , I've got PB-2000 and it really is a fantastic piece of kit , way better than bk xxls400 that I had before and if you look around you can buy it within your budget (I got mine second hand from [email protected], mint condition with 5 year warranty for 599£)

7. dannyedwards

dannyedwards
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to let everyone know, since me starting this thread I have since upgraded my system a fair bit and am now very happy.... for now atleat lol
    I ended up getting an svs pb2000 from audio visual, and also upgraded my front speakers to, monitor audio bx2 with some stands, and also got a newer style monitor audio bronze centre from audio visual.
    Films are so much more enjoyable now, can feel gun shots in my chest and sofa shaking with films like hacksaw ridge and 13 hours. Also watched recently dr strange, the sound effects in this were awesome!
    Iv also found myself listening to ALOT more music with this set up. Finding bass heavy stuff from bassotronics, and kromestar. Even stuff I usually like, house and rap sound so much punchier and have so much more depth to them.
    Realised I'm a bass head and can probably see myself going dual subs in the future ;)
    Cheers for all advice on here, I did end up going a different route but all my speaker research has been thanks to this forum and a couple of others.
    Dan