Tannoy TS10 Sub - One Month Later!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by William YZF-R1, Feb 7, 2009.

1. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Well I have had my TS10 for about a month now.

Overall it does a good job and bass is well defined and "tight" compared to my previous cheaper sub.

The only downside (and I was asked about this on here recently) is that its not heavy enough! On a couple of occasions (Independance Day DVD & Disco remix music) when asked to reverberate really low it literally vibrates on the floor very noisily - the metal spikes on the concrete floor thru carpet.

A liitle annoying nevertheless and possibly easy cured by placing something heavy on top. At the moment I have masked the shortcoming by removing the metal spikes and it sits on the carpet instead.

2. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,178

U could try putting something under the spikes to stop it reaching the concrete, say like pennys or 5p's or somthing. May work and is something i would try before putting something ugly on top.

3. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Thanks, I will try that, but suspect the jackhammer effect is because its physically not heavy enough for the otherwise excellent job it does.

I emailed Tannoy this morning just to inform them, and ask if they are aware of this minor problem.

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,178
    ok yeah mayb ur right just looked up spec. 9.5kgs makes it a Kg lighter than my small MJ.
    And i could have swore u ordered the TS12 when i seen the thread on xbox.com forums. :confused:

5. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Your right, but after waiting 3 weeks and with no firm delivery date, I cancelled and went cheaper. Too cheap I might add, so a week later I cut my losses and purchased the less costly (compared to TS12) TS10.

Overall I spent what a TS12 cost but ended up with a TS10 plus a cheap heavier subwoofer that is now a relatively expensive ornament:(

6. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should use the rubber feet that came with it. The granite worktop savers are also a good platform to sit it on.

7. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I believe the jackhammer effect is caused by placing it on a firm surface. There were no rubber feet supplied, just the plastic conical feet and spikes whch screw into them.

I watched Independance Day again with the TS10 minus spikes on the carpet. It was fine as presumably the carpet absorbed the shocks/jackhammer effect but at the end of the day I think it was built too light.

8. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree that it is too light, my TS-12 is too light really.

But they are otherwise very good subwoofers, I used the rubber feet and have a granite worktop saver. This has cured my problems.

I would have an SVS sb12 if it wernt for the fact that my TS-12 cost me £200 and upgrading would be pointless (ie pretty much just the same as SVS sb12 just a lighter enclosure).

9. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Thanks, I like the TS10 as well but I wouldn't like to use it on a smooth surface like a laminate floor - God knows where it would wander off to during a decent film.:devil:

I might try to source some rubber feet with recesses in the centre, and bolt them to the feet where the spikes go.