Tannoy TS10 Sub Help Please

SANDIETEDDY

Standard Member
I have a Tannoy TS10 Sub, it stopped working, the power light was on but there was no sound from it so I took it back to Tannoy. They fixed it and said the Amplifier had blown, a few days later it stopped working again so I took it back. The engineer told me the Amplifier was blown again and I should switch off the sub until the movie or the cd had started,this would stop an amp surge as this is not covered under warranty. Well I did what he said although it's a bit of a pain and the sub has stopped working again. On average I would say it gives about 6 to 8 hours use before it blows. It worked fine for months prior top this problem.

It is being run through a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE and all my speakers are Tannoy and their fine.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated, I know they will end up trying to refuse to repair again so any info you can give may help me as I know absolutely nothing about Subs. Personally I think the fault lies somewhere else in the Sub but since I know nothing about them I can't argue the point.

B

bonnie_barko

If the implication is that it can't cope with being turned on then the item is faulty and should really be swapped to avoid messing you around any further.

If (more likely) Tannoy are saying that when your yamaha amplifier turns on it is sending a very strong signal down to the subwoofer (the initial surge when the amplifier powers up) then they are in the right to refuse a refund, as the subwoofer is being damaged by something, rather than just failing. You may have to replace your yamaha to avoid blowing the sub again.

My suggestion would be, borrow an amplifier on demonstration or from a friend, and use it on your system for a few days. If the amp in the subwoofer doesn't blow then you know your yamaha is the problem, if it does blow just like it is now, then take the subwoofer back and demand a replacement, as there is probably some overheating/grounding issue in the sub, explaining what you have done to isolate the problem product.

SANDIETEDDY

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply.

I never turn my Yamaha off, I think what Tannoy meant was It's the first surge of sound coming through the amp. They told me to have the sub turned off and down to low, then when the movie starts, turn the sub on and then turn up the volume. I've never heard of anyone having to do this before.

SANDIETEDDY

Standard Member
A quick update guys.

I phoned a Yamaha service centre and they said it couldn't be the amp as it would blow the speakers at the same time and in all the time they have dealt with amps they have never heard of the amp blowing the sub.

so i have a catch 22 with one blaming the other.

hoppaz

A quick update guys.

I phoned a Yamaha service centre and they said it couldn't be the amp as it would blow the speakers at the same time and in all the time they have dealt with amps they have never heard of the amp blowing the sub.

so i have a catch 22 with one blaming the other.

If it was the yamaha amp sending down a strong signal you would probably hear a loud thump from the sub. Does it do this?

How are you connecting the amp to the sub?

SANDIETEDDY

Standard Member
If it was the yamaha amp sending down a strong signal you would probably hear a loud thump from the sub. Does it do this?

How are you connecting the amp to the sub?

No, I've never heard anything like that, in fact because i really only use it for movies I don't notice it's stopped working until an action sequence.

I connect via a subwoofer cable from sub out jack on the amp to the line in on the sub.

I've Just come back from Tannoy. They said the sub wasn't blowing at the fuse where it should. It was tripping back,:confused:

The engineer spoke to the designer and between them they had no idea how this could happen.

So the upshot is they gave me another sub, frightened to hook it up now.:D

Thanks for all your advise

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom