Tannoy Sub noises

andicole0

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok so yes you expect some noises but in addition to the sounds coming from the amp I also get regular but not permanent noises. The best way I can describe them is that of an empty wheelie bin being dragged across a hard path.

So far I think I've ruled out everything but the woofer itself which is part of an SFX 5.1 setup, connected to an Onkyo amp.

I have replaced the cable and the noise persists, I have muted the Onkyo and you can still hear the noise coming from the woofer. I have replaced the actual sub woofer with an old Yamaha unit and get no additional noises over a few days.

There isn't much inside the box and I can't see anything obvious around the electrical circuits inside.

As a new replacement from my local hi-fi shop will be only £99 is it worth doing anything with it? Can anyone think of a possible cause I could investigate.

Thank in advance.

Andi.

The only things which are in the sub that you haven't mentioned are the power supply and amplifier. How old is the sub?

Hi Spyder, It's about 4 years old (3 year warranty as I understand it) I can see no obvious hot spots on the amp or power supply and all capacitors I can see look OK (no bulging anyway).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom