1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TANNOY SUB (HUMMING)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by TIGGER, Apr 11, 2001.

1. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I RECENTLY GOT A TANNOY MSUB10 FOR A SNIP AT £100 BUT WHEN I PLUG IT INTO MY SONY STRD940 IT HUMMED I AM USING 1 PHONO LEAD TO CONNECT IT. I'VE GOT A BETTER LEAD MADE UP WHICH I WAS TOLD WOULD FIX IT BUT IT GOT WORSE. I'VE TRIED CHANGING PLUG SOCKETS AND REMOVING THE EARTH FROM THE SUB POWER SUPPLY STILL NO GOOD. NOW I'VE FOUND WITH THE T.V ON STANBY OR ON, THE HUMMING IS LOUD, T.V OFF OR UNPLUGED ONLY SLIGHT. I TRIED HIGH LEVEL INPUTS, NO BETTER ALSO TRIED EARTHING THE AMP CASING TO VIDEO. PLEASE HELP

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Firstly, you seem to be an internet newbie. Welcome to the HCCO Bulletin Board. Please note that typing in ALL UPPER CASE is considered by the internet community to be SHOUTING and therefore rude.
    Now that's out of the way...
    Presumably the Sub is connected to the amp which is connected to the TV (maybe via a video or something?). Which would explain how one might affect the other.
    You say you have swapped around the plugs. Have you tried plugging everything into the same wall socket? It might be a mains earth loop.

3. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about shouting, I am new. Thanks for replying, tried your suggestion but no go.I took my sub and new lead to a friends who has the same amp but the old model. Tried it on his, it was just the same. The shop I got it from have tried it and they say that there is nothing wrong with it, but it still humms. Is it normal for it to humm when the sound goes quiet or am I just fussy?

4. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You haven't said what make/type of cable you are using for connecting your sud to the amp.
    I had the same problem on my sub.A constant humming,that whilst ok in action scenes was unbearable in quiet talking parts.
    In the end,I spoke to Ixos(01844 219000) and used one of their 118AV (5Mtr) cables.
    No problem now at all.
    If you have a friendly local dealer near you, why not take your sub in and try a couple of cables?

5. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry meant to say what cable it was, it's a Qunex 2 Dual Balanced Low Level signal cable 99.999ofc. I tried the sub in my local shop using this cable and it seemed ok, is it possible it's not been made correctly. He said it should be earthed at one end and to follow the arrows on the cable from the amp to the sub, however when I tried it the other way round it made no difference.

6. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes,it may be possible that the cable may have a fault.I bought a dedicated sub cable from a company only to have a humming noise.I took it back and exchanged it but still the same problem.I then phoned customer service at Ixos, who explained that there was "a small manufacturing error" but would not say what.I then waited nearly 2 months for a fresh supply.Got that one eventualy but still same problem.Then took that one back to manufacturer as I was passing their head office one day,thinking well they must have latest version.But still the problem was happenening.I took this to a local hifi dealer I know,and tried it on several different makes of sub to prove,in my mind at least,that my equipment was not a fault.They experienced the same problem.In the end, I took the cable back and exchanged it for a different model.I know perhaps I should have done that ages ago,but I thought I'd wait for what a dedicated Subwoofer cable.
    The model,by the way,was an Ixos 1141 3mtr sub cable.
    Sorry for the life story,when just a "yes" would have done.

7. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I hope that your problem is fixed.
    And that it WAS the cables.

But maybe it's a different problem.
    I also have the Strdb940.
    And when i watch TV or listen to music that's analoguely connected to my AMP. It also suffers from hissiong and humming.
    Let's hope that it's not the Amp that's troubling you.

BTW i am also in a position to purchase the Sub. Is it any good?
    What are the rest of your speaker setup?
    I have Kef q50 and behind Q10.
    Was the Sub difficult to setup?

8. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After many phone calls to my dealer and lots of different suggestions, none of which have worked, they told me to take both Amp and Sub over to them so they could try them in the shop. But before I took them I tried removing all leads one by one,ie phono connections. After all phono connections removed humming stopped, so now dealer is contacting Sony technical.
    Thanks for all the suggestions offered, will let you know the outcome from Sony.
    By the way all my speakers are Tannoy MX models and the Sub works well and sounds good on action films.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear you have the problem almost sorted. Where did you get the Tannoy sub from at such a good price and do you know what it retails at normally?

Also what do you think of the sub now you've managed to listen to it without the humming?

[ 18-04-2001: Message edited by: Bungle-js- ]

10. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally have sorted the problem no help from dealer or Sony, was playing around and earthed the Amp straight to the main earth in the house ie through the plug, no humming at all now.(earth to casing screw).
    Got the Sub from a dealer no questions asked boxed as new, it sounds fantastic. Thanks to everyone for their idea's, keep in touch.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Tannoy MS10 connected to a Yammy AX-1 via an 8ft Vivanco phono lead. There are no hums or anyother annoying noises, except for those who are downstairs when I've got a DVD on!
    Cheers, Neil.
    By the way, mine cost £250.