Tannoy SFX5.1 & Onkyo 606 - no bass

e46_m3

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought an Onkyo 606 and some Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers and connected it all up last night - the problem I am having is with bass.

The sub is positioned on a wooden floor in a corner between the front speakers - the sub is a powered sub (part of the Tannoy kit) and its connected to the 606 via the sub lead. As per the speaker manual I set the phase to 0 degrees, crossover to AV/LFE and volume to minimum.

Now when watching a Bluray there is no bass at all - I cant "hear" or feel anything from the sub. I have tried adjusting the bass levels on the amp from -10db up to +10db and adjusting the level on the sub from min to max and still cant get any bass.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Is there a setup step I have missed somewhere or am I being a tube and have misunderstood some part of the setup?

TIA

Jase

Is the subs power on does the led come on on the back?
Have you got the lead in the right connector in the sub and on the back of the 606, IIRC the 606 has 2 sub connectors the purple ones.

Is the subs power on does the led come on on the back?
Have you got the lead in the right connector in the sub and on the back of the 606, IIRC the 606 has 2 sub connectors the purple ones.

It is definately getting power - I will check the leads now and see which it is in, is there a way of knowing which is right and which is wrong on the amp?

I had it in the white pre out subwoofer slot - changed it over to the purple one and still nothing, no bass at all. I am testing it on the part in Cloverfield where the first building explosion takes place and the head from the statue hits the ground and there is absolutely nothing from the sub. I guess it could a faulty sub or sub cable? Is the sub cable a specific cable - Im guessing its digital or could I use any RCA cable like maybe a red and white audio one and just use one of the colour connectors?

go into the onkyo set up and check the speaker config is set to include the sub - ie it will say
"front - small, surround - small " etc and you can cycle through the options. Find the one for subwoofer and make sure its set to yes.

hope that sorts it

go into the onkyo set up and check the speaker config is set to include the sub - ie it will say
"front - small, surround - small " etc and you can cycle through the options. Find the one for subwoofer and make sure its set to yes.

hope that sorts it

On the speaker test it couldnt "find" the sub so was originally set to no but I changed it to yes manually - is there anything else on that page which needs changing?

I'd be interested to see how this turns out because I bought the same Onkyo on Saturday but haven't yet bought speakers and am considering these Tannoys.

At present though just got some speakers from my old TV (Toshiba 32ZD98B) plugged into the amp and it has completely knocked me off my feet. Can't wait to hear it with the full complement of speakers connected.

I have ordered a new sub cable as its the easiest and cheapest thing to test - wont be able to test it till probably the weekend as Im away all week after tomorrow morning but will give that a try!

Hi E46_M3
It sound to me like you have not turned the LFE volume up from the first set up with the SFX instructions it tells you to turn the sub VOL to MIN to stop any sudden sounds, I have same system ONKYO SR-606 and SFX5.1. The volume on the rear of the SUB should be at around the 12 O'Clock position for a good sounding bass and what I have done is to make the system into a 7.1 by adding a set of TDL Saturn 10's for the main front LEFT/RIGHT speakers. This sounds GREAT and well impressed with the TDL's for 100 quid!!

Once you have set the volume on the SUB and confirmed its working run the AUTO SET UP for the speakers and it should detect the SUB with that Volume setting.

Good Luck
:):)

Hi E46_M3
It sound to me like you have not turned the LFE volume up from the first set up with the SFX instructions it tells you to turn the sub VOL to MIN to stop any sudden sounds, I have same system ONKYO SR-606 and SFX5.1. The volume on the rear of the SUB should be at around the 12 O'Clock position for a good sounding bass and what I have done is to make the system into a 7.1 by adding a set of TDL Saturn 10's for the main front LEFT/RIGHT speakers. This sounds GREAT and well impressed with the TDL's for 100 quid!!

Once you have set the volume on the SUB and confirmed its working run the AUTO SET UP for the speakers and it should detect the SUB with that Volume setting.

Good Luck
:):)

There are two dials on the back of the sub - the left one is marked Crossover and I have set it to AV/LFE (i.e all the way to the right), the right dial is set to the middle which again is marked AV/LFE. The sub cable is plugged into the top line in jack and then into the pre-out subwoofer jack on the 606 (i.e. NOT the purple one) - finally Phase is set to 0 AV/LFE.

Is this how it should be set up?

Hi e46_m3,
Yes I also have the SUB CABLE connected to the LEFT LINE INPUT, CROSSOVER setting fully clockwise and LEVEL control set about 1 O'CLOCK, just as a quick check to make sure that the sub is working touch the centre pin of the RCA connector feeding the sub when its powered on make sure that the power light(LED) is green (switch to TOP) you should get a hum out of the sub if so then the AMP in the SUB is OKk:thumbsup: if not could be the cable to check You could try using a short bit of wire just touch the centre connection in the RCA socket on the LEFT/RIGHT RCA INPUT SOCKETS to check if it is the cable wont hurt you as input is at line level but and least you know if its your SUB or the Cable:D. Not the most TECH way of testing but sure beats the hell out of pulling your hair out!!

Good Luck
Tez:):)

I will go check again - confusing when there are two ports with the same name, will make sure its in the subwoofer port on its own (marked pre-out in the pic) and report back! Thanks :smashin:

I will go check again - confusing when there are two ports with the same name, will make sure its in the subwoofer port on its own (marked pre-out in the pic) and report back! Thanks :smashin:

It will be a nice ending if thats all it was, you are not going to get a peep out of the sub pre-in.

It will be a nice ending if thats all it was, you are not going to get a peep out of the sub pre-in.

And I will be proved to be an idiot - nothing new there then :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom