• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

tannoy sfx 5.1

D3lboy

just ordered these am i going to be happy with them rather than what i used to have the lg ht903 1000watt dvd home cinema system

going to run them on my str dh800

vader100

Yeas, they are definitely a step upwards on the scale. Beware though give it a couple of years and the upgradeitis will kick in.;)

adzzzbatch

I find the sub pretty bassy set to around a 1/3 for normal use.

D3lboy

cool

so you only have yours turned up 1/3 of the way

im just waiting for mine from richer sounds ordered them today

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Your Sony amp and Tannoy speakers will walk all over your LG system. Very nice amp and speakers, enjoy mate!

Cheers

Saf

chriso69

:thumbsup: Excellent choice even if I do say so myself, had this pairing for about 9 months after putting up with an old Hitachi 'home cinema in a box' with incorporated Freeview, I think I would have probably gotten a better sound from a piece of string and the box it came in! :D

Not thought about making it 7.1? You wouldn't regret it, except for the lack of titles with this audio format. :thumbsdow

Come on you big Hollywood studios, 'get with the program' as you like to say that side of the water. Grrrrr.

adzzzbatch

:thumbsup: Excellent choice even if I do say so myself, had this pairing for about 9 months after putting up with an old Hitachi 'home cinema in a box' with incorporated Freeview, I think I would have probably gotten a better sound from a piece of string and the box it came in! :D

Not thought about making it 7.1? You wouldn't regret it, except for the lack of titles with this audio format. :thumbsdow

Come on you big Hollywood studios, 'get with the program' as you like to say that side of the water. Grrrrr.

Where did you get the extra two satellites from?

I've thought about making mine 7.1

chriso69

Got them online from 'hifix.co.uk' excellent service, received within 48 hours of ordering. They were priced then at £40 each but I think the price has shot up. (unless they're priced as pairs now)

You could also try 'superfi.co.uk' as they sell pairs of satellites too.

Can't check for you now as only on my phone.

adzzzbatch

Got them online from 'hifix.co.uk' excellent service, received within 48 hours of ordering. They were priced then at £40 each but I think the price has shot up. (unless they're priced as pairs now)

You could also try 'superfi.co.uk' as they sell pairs of satellites too.

Can't check for you now as only on my phone.

Thanks I had and it seems you're right about the price going up.

chriso69

Thanks I had and it seems you're right about the price going up.

I bought (the extra pair) in Sept 09, had a look at their website (and others) around Christmas and they were all selling (or rather offering for sale) at about £70 each!

Just play the waiting game - whilst sitting back and enjoying your 5.1 set-up - they're bound to come down further from the £50 they're currently priced at.

vader100

so will the tannoy sub be very bassy or...

It's not bad for it's size, it'll outbass your current system easily. It can be a bit boomy at times and drops off around 40hz but I still operate the sub with my Quad l-ites and it can give my sofa a shake at times.

Just biding my time until I can upgrade to the BKxxls400:devil:

D3lboy

the 7.1 extra two sats mite come next :D

D3lboy

Well they came today all set up im a can say im impressed with them
and the sony str dh800

Both are my first proper av / speakers
and im loving it
aint got time to watch a blu ray tonight
but looking forward to it tomorrow night

cheers for all the posters helping me out

Regards darren

adzzzbatch

Well they came today all set up im a can say im impressed with them
and the sony str dh800

Both are my first proper av / speakers
and im loving it
aint got time to watch a blu ray tonight
but looking forward to it tomorrow night

cheers for all the posters helping me out

Regards darren

I felt the same way when I set my system up, it's a great budget set up.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

seasidersrock

:hiya: Excellent speakers, the sub is definitely the weak link.
Our front room is huge, two rooms knocked into one and the Tannoy sub struggled.
I had a Wharfedale Diamond spare with a 10" woofer and swapped over, massive improvement.
If you get the chance change the sub. :smashin:

D3lboy

so now im thinking are thos little satellites ment to sound a little bassy if so how would i go about
sorting it out on my str dh800

vader100

No, the satellites are not really bassy at all.They only drop to 140hz so the sub really picks up all the low end stuff.

boxrick

In comparison to many other satellites and for the size the SFX are *very* bassy.

jb001e9634

Yeas, they are definitely a step upwards on the scale. Beware though give it a couple of years and the upgradeitis will kick in.;)

Upgraditis is MUCH more contagious!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom