Tannoy SFX 5.1 owners help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by whirlybat, Feb 2, 2009.

1. whirlybat

whirlybat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How on earth do I use my banana plugs with these, is it possible?

The Superfi website mentions banana plug connectivity HERE :confused:

Also any tips on setting these up? Just got my Sony820 amp yesterday and am itching to get going.

I assume I need a subwoofer cable to run it via line in as one didn't seem to come with the speaker package. Want to make sure I've got all I need before I start. I have a separate thread in cable forum about recommended cables and the best place to run cables for my rears (I have laminate flooring :suicide:) but not having much luck there with responses. I guess it's not a sexy enough question lol :rolleyes:

Apologies for the basic nature of the question but we all have to start somewhere right? :lease:

2. Downinja

Downinja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Do the coloured bits of plastic pop off to reveal to socket?

3. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/extras/Tannoy/Tannoy_SFX5-1_manual.pdf

page 5 has a picture on the right showing that the wires are behind the mounts showing that they are screwed on. the picture of the rear of the speaker on the super-fi link shows no hole for the banana plug to go into.

for the sub you want: QED QUNEX MPSW SUBWOOFER INTERCONNECT (3 METRES) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4750 for details
    or similar.

i only got my 1st proper setup going last week but i've already played with every setting and bi-amped the fronts.

i think the best way to put the cable is going to be around the perimeter, at either the skirting board or the ceiling, getting up there using the corners of the room. without knowing the length of cable you've got or colour or shape of room....maybe its possible to do it without looking bad, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pull up something.....or get away with cables on the skirting board.

4. d1979

d1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You cannot connect with banana plugs at the speaker ends. I tinned the ends of mine with a bit of solder just to keep them tidy.

You will need a sub lead to connect the sub as mentioned above.

5. whirlybat

whirlybat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    d1979 - Good idea! I might try and source some spade connectors and tidy it all up with some heatshrink tubing :confused:

6. d1979

d1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The only problem with a connector (as I had the same idea!) is the lack of room to get the cable in to the speaker terminal as it's a bit recessed.

Not bad little speakers for the money really. Sub is a bit boomy but I do have it in a corner for a few reasons (1, SWMBO! 2, It's ugly!)

7. whirlybat

whirlybat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Agree about the looks. Id have preferred something in a light wood colour but that seems to be the domain of higher end products.

I'm hoping I will be impresssed, what swayed me was the half price offer on them, too good a deal to turn down :D

Did you use the bundled cable or change it for something else?

8. d1979

d1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I went for some QED micro cable as I wasn't sure if the Tannoys came with any!

Not really sure what I prefer looks wise tbh, black or wood. We're waiting to move so I'll hold off buying anything else until I can do a bit of DIY with the install!