1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve Kinsey, May 11, 2001.

1. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've currently got a mixed setup of speakers connected to my Yamaha RDX795 amp. I've got two Tannoy M2's at the front and some mission surrounds and mission center. I can't remember the mission models but they were pretty small and cheap units.

I'm considering upgrading the full set and I do like my Tannoy fronts so I was thinking of the following setup:

Tannoy MX4 - Front
    Tannoy MXC - Center
    Tannoy MX1 - Rears

I can get the lot for about £480, does anyone have any good or bad experiences of this configuration or any good alternatives for the same kind of money.

If in future I upgrade to a better amp, Denon 3801 for example, will they be able to live up to the amp.

Any comments welcome.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Steve Kinsey ]

2. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I have all Tannoy speakers namely:

2 Mx3
    MC
    2 M1
    and MSub10

running from a Sony STRDB830 and I can say that they are great speakers. I have not heard the Mx4s but if they live up to Tannoys other speakers then you should have no problem. They should be able to handle the Denon no problem also.

3. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a similar Tannoy set-up

MX3 front
    MXC centre
    MX2 rear

It's a decent package for the price (I paid about £300 all in from Unbeatable). I listen to a lot of music and have found some shortcomings in my system but I imagine it's down to the amp rather than anything else (yam rxv596 amp + Nad 524 CD player + Tosh 2109 DVD). Funds permitting I intend to upgrade everything and this time will most likely opt for stereo amp + processor rather than av amp, although I understand the Denon 3801 is not too shabby in stereo.

Phil

4. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts guys. Being an impatient idiot with money burning a hole, I've just ordered them :)

Kit will be arriving on Tuesday, so I'll let you know how I get on.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried this settup in a shop and was impressed for the money. MX4's have a big sound but this is a system maybe more suited to cinema rather than pure music. 3801 is a great sounding amp and these speaks will have no probs although will not really do it justice. Once you have it you may consider getting some really good mains for music. Then again, it's all down to cash. Best part of the system is definately MX1's, a real triumph.

Steve

6. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the setup is more suited for cinema then that's fine by me as this will be its main funtion :)

One thing I will want to do further down the line though is route a second pair of speakers from the amp into a different room for music. Anyone have recommendations for good music (stereo) speakers around the same price range as MX4's.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ruark Epilogues are good for compacts, around £300. Just got some myself and I am very impressed. I also tried Mission M73 floorstanders and for £200 they are a bargain.

S

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I actually wanted to suggest to use the M2 as rears but perhaps now they could be used in the other room.
    In any case I would keep them since you are planning to get a 3801 and surely want to go Ex/Es then so the M2 could be used as additional surround back speakers.

9. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said before I have Mx3s for my fronts, superb with HC but also very impresssive with music. Since I got my new speakers I have listened to virtually every CD I have again and now generally listen to more music than I did when I had my old CD system.If you don't want floor standers for music then again I would suggest MX2s or MX1s for your music system.

10. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Steve,
    I have the following configuration:
    Tannoy M3 Fronts
    Tannoy M3 Rears
    Tannoy MC Centre.
    I also used the Yamaha RXV 795a receiver.I used to use the M1's at the rear but changed because I moved up from the Yamaha dspa-592 amp.I find when you put the 795 in disco mode the music and bass extension with the floorstanders at the back is grrrreat...!It also has great depth in DD OR DTS Films...I still have to go for a subwoofer but I can waity a while yet :D.

regards
    :)swartzy :)

"formerly known as martinc but watched too many action films!"

[ 16-05-2001: Message edited by: swartzy ]

11. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys,

One thing that I should have mentioned is that one of the M2's has developed a fault in that it makes a kind of internal vibration noise on some low frequencies. If it wasn't for this fault I would definately use them as the main speakers for the other room. Perhaps they would be ok as the center rears in an ES/EX configuration though.

I got the new MX4,MXC,MX1's yesterday and I'm very impressed so far. I haven't had a chance to try them out with music yet but I watched U571 in DTS with them last night and it sounded awesome. The MX4's were nice and beefy and the MX1's sound much better than the old mission surrounds I was using. So far I'm one happy customer.

12. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have heard nice things about Tannoy.
    have you considered adding a Sub to your setup?
    Would you consider buying teh Tannoy msub10?

13. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    I am pleased with the Tannoys tan1415 and yes I am considering adding a sub and it will be the Tannoy sub and I would consider buying the m10 sub or mx10 sub.

regards
    :)swartzy :)

14. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was also thinking of getting these Tannoy speakers to go with the Denon 3801 when I get it. Do you think that I should use mx1's as the rears or mx2's as the rears. Would there be any advantage to using the better spec mX2's. Also would it be ok to use the mX2's as side rears and the mX1's as back rears or should I use identical speakers for all the rears.

15. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy,

I haven't heard MX2'S as rears but my MX1's work very well combined with MX4 and MXC.