Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tannoy R3 & R2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mikado, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Mikado

Mikado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    First of all, please excuse my english.

I would like to buy following speakers:
    - Tannoy R3 (Frontal)
    - Tannoy R2 (surround speakers)
    - Tannoy RC (Central)

But I don't know if it is too much bass for my room. I have a room of around 25 square metres (280 squere feet) and I'm afraid that I couldn't control basses. Is it so? Would it be better to buy other type of surround speakers (not stand speakers)?

Thank you and regards

P.D. I would buy a sub in the future, not now.

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mikado,

Welcome to the AV Forums.

You don't say what kind of amplifier you are using. If you have an AV reciever (example Denon 2803) you have no problems. If you find that you have too much bass from these speakers you can set the amplifer to cut the bass of at a certain frequency. This is for use with a subwoofer where you would typically send all sound under 80khz to the Subwoofer and the rest to the speakers.

I have had a similar experience where my floorstanding speakers (Ruarks) had too much bass and became boomy in my room. I set them to 'small' on the amp and set the crossover at 60khz and it was fine.

Hope this helps.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect you should be ok...... integration could be tough to get perfect with all those big speakers, but you cant expect perfect! You just need to remember these are rear ported designs (arent they?) so you might have to be careful about locating near a wall (possibly it mightnt be a bad idea to bung up the ports with a pair of socks).

The other thing to consider is that having big fronts and big rears, your centre may be shown up simply because of the massive differences in cabinet size thus leading to a tonal mismatch.

All the best

Ad

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I use R2's all round and an RC. I can't comment on the bass as i don't have an R3 however my room size is about the same as yours and i don't have a bass problem ( well i do but it's down to acoustics rather than speakers) plus i use a sub as well.
    A couple of tips, when/if you get them, remove the grills as the wooden finish darkens with exposure to sunlight, if you don't remove the grills you will get a colour mismatch :blush: .
    The RC is a heavy speaker at 17kg's, that may have implications depending on where it gets sited.
    Good luck.

One other thing - ensure they come from a reputable dealer and they are a matched pair - they have a serial number on a plate on the rear - 00013 00014 is a matching pair 00014 00015 is not a matching pair.

5. Mikado

Mikado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all,

Stereo Steve: yes, I'll use a HC Receiver (Marantz SR7300)

Buns: You're right. They are rear ported designs and that could be another problem with bass.

Lynx: I think main difference betwen both model are basses :confused:

I was thinking to change R2 speakers and buy R1s but they seem very bad speakers against R2s or R3s, am I wrong?
    And thats the reason because I'm looking for Mission models too:
    - M74i (fontal)
    - M72i (rear spekers): these speakers looks better than R1s, indeed, I think are the same that M73i but smaller. So, I could solve my possible problem with basses.
    - M7c2 (central)

Possibly, you only know about Tannoy models but I would appreciate your opinions.

Regards

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    The Tannoy Revolution range is a much better speaker than the equivelant Mission models you mention. The R3 is a very special speaker and sounds superb. The R1 is also nicer than the M72i & are not the poor little brother of their bigger R2 and R3 stable mates IMO.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with nobber, stick with the tannoys. The R3's are very nice sounding speakers and i think they are gorgeous into the bargain. And also on the R1's........ they do the mid and high end as well and better than their bigger brothers (yes, i consider them better) but dont forget they will lack the lower end due to physical size. To be honest, i think you might be better with R1's than R2's for rears if for nothing more than the space taken up. But both solutions should work nicely.

Ad

8. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The R3's are excellent speakers. However I don't think you'll find too much bass a problem - if anything they are slightly laid back and fairly neutral in the bass department.

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Agreed. If anything, the Mission's are more likely to cause you bass problems in the average livingroom.