Question Tannoy precision 6.4 Any good @£1200?

dr no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These have come up at a good price.
I have no current need but wondering if at that reduced price they are worth having.
They would replace my reliable CM4s and be used mainly for movies

anyone have any opinion on these please?

I have 6.4s and love them. Not familiar with the cm4s, but did try the cm8. I thought that the precision was significantly better than them. However that said, I like the tannoy sound (with Cyrus) which is perhaps not to everyones taste, so I would recommend trying to get a listen to them before buying. If you are buying from a distance then perhaps try and get a demo of 6.2s as they seem more commonly available for demo (e.g. richersounds).

The 6.4s are bigger and more flexible about positioning as not rear ported.

I got mine ex-demo at a similar price and think that this is fantastic value.

I was tempted with the 6.4s -but the 6.2s seemed equally raved about

I wonder though what the difference between the 6.2 and DC6T SE is ?

Thanks guys
I demo'ed the 6.4s in Richersounds. They did sound good with a big soundstage.
My reservation was that the deep gloss walnut looked good. They had a 6.2 in satin walnut I think and it didn't look as nice next to it. In the pictures the satin wood looks good but in reality (assuming the 6.2s I saw were that) didn't look as nice.
Might leave it for now.

From a recent discussion, if I remember right, these typically sell for £2200/pr. That would make £1200/pr and exceptional deal. Just make sure they are not £1200 EACH.

Steve/bluewizard

From a recent discussion, if I remember right, these typically sell for £2200/pr. That would make £1200/pr and exceptional deal. Just make sure they are not £1200 EACH.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks Steve
Seems Tannoy have reduced these to £1199 per pair for the Satin Walnut. Don't think the deep gloss is included.

Have the gloss black and think they are gorgeous. I've not seen the satin finish, but suspect that like you I would pass on them. £1200 is only a bargain if you love everything about them, it is a lot of money to spend on something that you would always end up wishing was in a different finish.

Steve/bluewizard
Steve, you seem you know your speakers :)
Seems I managed to get an option to get the deep gloss walnut pair for £1399 as well. I would be buying these purely for the good pricing promotion rather than a need at this moment. There will be a need in a year or so but not yet.
My question to you is, and to anyone else who wants to pipe in; are these speakers, in the finish I want, worth jumping in early at this price?

Is that price on new or ex demo speakers?
Not sure anyone other than you can answer that question. In a year or so when you have the need that need could be different and there could be other maybe better offers available.

Have you listened to other speakers at this price point or the original price to get an idea of their relative performance?

Is that price on new or ex demo speakers?
Not sure anyone other than you can answer that question. In a year or so when you have the need that need could be different and there could be other maybe better offers available.

Have you listened to other speakers at this price point or the original price to get an idea of their relative performance?

That price is on new.
My need will always be movies. Don't listen to music much.
So I suppose as long as they are high quality speakers, it doesn't matter if they are slightly less musical or so then another at that level. As long as they are of similar level for the money.

I always love a bargain. I would expect these speakers to be very good, but you would have to look at what else you can get for the money at the same price.

The only problem I have is that it seems you will buy them and let them sit in a closet or in the cupboard for nearly a year before using them. A significant chunk of the warranty will be gone before you even use them.

However, like I said, I love a bargain, and I suspect you could store them for a year, then use them for a year, and still get back pretty much what you paid for them.

But the final decision falls on you. Can you get a chance to hear them before you buy? Or perhaps you have already heard them.

In a recent audition, some one compared the Tannoy DC6T-SE which are also on deep discounts, to the Tannoy 6.4, and while the 6.4 were clearly better, the DC6T-SE were just too much of a bargain to pass up. At £2200/pair, one might question the speakers, but at £1300/pr, they become much more attractive.

Here are the Tannoy DC6T-SE (retail £999/pr) -

Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE Speakers (Pair) for £999.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

Tannoy REVOLUTION DC6T SE Espresso | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Superfi - Tannoy Revolution DC6TSE Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)

And here is the Tannoy 6.4 (£2199/pr) at its more common selling price -

Tannoy Precision 6.4 Speakers (Pair) for £2,199.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

At £1399/pr, this is really a bargain, but again, the final decision falls on you.

Steve/bluewizard

I always love a bargain. I would expect these speakers to be very good, but you would have to look at what else you can get for the money at the same price.

The only problem I have is that it seems you will buy them and let them sit in a closet or in the cupboard for nearly a year before using them. A significant chunk of the warranty will be gone before you even use them.

However, like I said, I love a bargain, and I suspect you could store them for a year, then use them for a year, and still get back pretty much what you paid for them.

But the final decision falls on you. Can you get a chance to hear them before you buy? Or perhaps you have already heard them.

In a recent audition, some one compared the Tannoy DC6T-SE which are also on deep discounts, to the Tannoy 6.4, and while the 6.4 were clearly better, the DC6T-SE were just too much of a bargain to pass up. At £2200/pair, one might question the speakers, but at £1300/pr, they become much more attractive.

Here are the Tannoy DC6T-SE (retail £999/pr) -

Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE Speakers (Pair) for £999.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

Tannoy REVOLUTION DC6T SE Espresso | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Superfi - Tannoy Revolution DC6TSE Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)

And here is the Tannoy 6.4 (£2199/pr) at its more common selling price -

Tannoy Precision 6.4 Speakers (Pair) for £2,199.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

At £1399/pr, this is really a bargain, but again, the final decision falls on you.

Steve/bluewizard
Thank you for a thorough reply.
I have auditioned them and quite liked them but my critique for judging may not be all that LOL!

I still remain in two minds. You are right I may store them or I might replace my CM4s.

But the bargain, the bargain, it haunts me LOL!

I've not auditioned many different speakers, so am being a bit cagey about singing their praises, but I love mine. Very often I hear something on the radio in the car and think I bet that sounds great on the tannoys, so have to put it on when I get home. After 9 months they still make me go wow that sounds good.

For some reason Tannoy don't seem to get as much love on these forums as brands like B&W or Kef, so this also makes me question myself and therefore not encourage you.

I have the bookshelf dc6. I didn't think that the dc6t se was a big step up, but the precisions are in a different league.

I also tried some kef r700s which are over £2k when buying my amp and from the short demo I had thought the precision to be of a similar standard.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom