TANNOY PLATINUM F6 speakers

amebix1

Standard Member
does anybody own a set of these floorstanders and if they so, what do they sound like/compare with?, looks like i've missed the boat for the xt6 & 8f speakers and was wondering if these floorstanders were worth a punt at the discounted price they are currently selling for, i know they are not the classic dual concentric design, so probably made as a budget speaker, info is scarce apart from tannoy's site and reviews are like hens teeth for them lol.

Orobas

Gonna need a bit more info before can answer this one..

(A) what amp and source are you using..
(B) what size is the room
(C) what music do you listen too

amebix1

Standard Member
Gonna need a bit more info before can answer this one..

(A) what amp and source are you using..
(B) what size is the room
(C) what music do you listen too
I currently have the Denon pma 800 amp & DCD 800 cd player hooked up with belden RCA cable, my room is mostly square with a rectangle that leads to kitchen, so roughly 3.5m x3.5, I mainly listen to metal, not big on acoustic or jazz type music.

Orobas

I currently have the Denon pma 800 amp & DCD 800 cd player hooked up with belden RCA cable, my room is mostly square with a rectangle that leads to kitchen, so roughly 3.5m x3.5, I mainly listen to metal, not big on acoustic or jazz type music.
Nice treble forward amp with the 800.. good 85w power.

The F6... continuous power for them is 75w... 8ohm and 88db.

In terms of spec.. the denon is right on the money for power / cost to the F6.

Only thing i am not too sure on match wise is the sound.. I personally have found the F6 to be very treble bright and mid range lacking sadly with amps of similar price and spec to the pma 800 and amps of much higher quality (cambridge 851 and even McIntosh and they where painful on those amps to listen too) as such can't really recommend the F6.. I would rather go the XT route with Tannoy to be honest

I would wait for a few others to reply here to see what they say.. but like with all speakers.. if you can get out to demo them with your amp then that is the best way to hear for yourself.. The problem with F6 is finding a stockist.. i think only Audio Affair stocks them....

At £549 for a pair.. i think you can do alot better going elsewhere

amebix1

Standard Member
cheers, trying to replace my 23 year pld Tannoy P 30's with something that has more articulate bass or even, less bass lol, they do crank it out, did some acoustic treatment in my living room and it has helped a lot, i do love these speakers, mids are fine, vocals crisp, they generally sound great with everything you can throw at them but trying to find something that will be a step up that doesn't cost more than 1k.

Orobas

cheers, trying to replace my 23 year pld Tannoy P 30's with something that has more articulate bass or even, less bass lol, they do crank it out, did some acoustic treatment in my living room and it has helped a lot, i do love these speakers, mids are fine, vocals crisp, they generally sound great with everything you can throw at them but trying to find something that will be a step up that doesn't cost more than 1k.
My other thought speaker wise which you can get out to demo at the same price point as the F6 is the Wharfedale Diamond 12.3.. Nice level headed speaker available from the likes of richer sounds, AV Online ( @ShanePJ ) and AudioT

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Also, there is really no need for floorstsnders in your room, so I’d seriously consider these.

A genuine modern legend and a real three way speaker and articulate bassof the finest kind.

Alternatively if you prefer floorstanders...

Both will comfortably outperform the Tannoys.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d also keep an eye on these invisible speakers.

amebix1

Standard Member
Thanks for your suggestions people, maybe it's time for a visit to rs for the obligitary listen to the wharfedale 12.4, dali Oberon 5, kef q550, I prefer floorstanders as bookshelves will probably get knocked over, even with command strips lol, wish there was somebody local who imports xls encore floorstanders and assembles them on your behalf, maybe will keep an eye out for some fyne 501's as well...

Orobas

Thanks for your suggestions people, maybe it's time for a visit to rs for the obligitary listen to the wharfedale 12.4, dali Oberon 5, kef q550, I prefer floorstanders as bookshelves will probably get knocked over, even with command strips lol, wish there was somebody local who imports xls encore floorstanders and assembles them on your behalf, maybe will keep an eye out for some fyne 501's as well...
You can generally hear the Kef's and the excellent Neat's at AudioT also if you have one near you :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom