1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy or Mission

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by overfloe, Jul 23, 2003.

1. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering how good is the Tannoy MX3-M speaker pack compared to the Mission m33 speaker pack? both speaker packages can be had for less than £400. spec-wise the Tannoy looks better but for looks they are even, though the m33 floorstand looks more elegant.
    to be paired with either marantz sr5300 or pioneer 812. what's your oppinion?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mission have a good pedigree in budget speaker packages, but the M3 range is brand new and I doubt anyone has heard them in action yet. Should be pretty good tho', although I hope Mission have tamed the slightly bright topend of the M73's - caution possibly needed when teaming Mission's with Pioneer amps in this regard.

The Tannoy's are very nice and are a bit of a bargain right now. Buy with confidence, use with either amp.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would give the Tannoys the edge although I have not heard that particular Mission but have found Tannoys better in that price range.

The Marantz would be my choice too.

4. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have not heard the Tannoys and the m73 seems pretty good. but what's important to me is the sound quality as a package, not just the fronts. also came accross the new Monitor Audio Bronze series but could not find a speaker package?
    thinking of going for the marantz but it lacks DTS 96/24!

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    See if you can pick up the original Tannoy M3 rather than the newer versions - definate step back IMHO.

When one of my M3's blew up, I was'nt impressed with the new Tannoy's - so I got a set of R3's instead.

Take a look at the Mission M5 series - there are good deals to be had - I just picked up an ex-demo pair of M51 for £130 off list price, and they are REALLY good...