1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy or Mission + magnets?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dave Jones, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone.

I am just about to purchase a Denon 3801 and would like to get a Left Right and Centre Speaker. I was looking at either the Mission 771's or the Tannoy Mercury Mx2's. The Tannoys are a lot cheaper than the Missions ie Missions L+R = £149 Centre = £179. Tannoy L+R = £109 centre £79.

Does anyone have an opinion on either of these ranges. I have to say the tannoys look great and seem to be built to a high standard. Both ranges get 5 stars in what hifi.

One question here? I am not sure if the Tannoys are magnetically shielded?? I dont even know if the missions are but presume they are as most of the other missions appear to be. What does being magnetically shielded mean I presume is something to do with stopping the magnetic field interferring with the TV? sorry to post such a stupid question. (but if I put the centre on top of the TV will it distort my picture?)

Thanks

Dave

2. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neither the Tannoy or Mission speakers are shielded. I was going to buy some Tannoy speakers for my HC setup but i couldent because of the magnets. In the end I bought some Acoustic Energy Ageis Two's which are infact shielded! They perform great! You can get the Ageis One's which are not the floor standing ones!

Hope this helps!

3. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tannoy mx3s which are floor standing versions of the mx2 which are very impressive. The mc or mxc center speaker is great value also and it is magnetically shielded as it goes under/over your TV.

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    couldn't think of anything interesting or witty that's why my signature is so sh***y

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, that would be wrong, sorry.

The Mission Centre is shielded, but the 771e's are not and so would have to be placed at least a foot/foot + 1/2 away from your TV - Not a big problem I would have thought.

The Tannoys are all magnetically shielded. (I think - centre definately)

Dead right as far as I understand!

Both of the ranges are 5 star, but that is 5 star relative to other products in the price range. the directly eqivilent missions would be the m70 range, which looks good.

I would have thought that with a 3801 it would be worth going for some better speakers though. Something like Kef Q35.2's, Tannoy revolutions, Mission 77's etc.

I would highly recommend listening to any speakers though, after all if you get on with the dealer you might get a dicount similar to online anyway. If you want my 2p's worth though I am listening to Mission 773e, Kef Q35.2, Tannoy R2, and hopefully the MX's for comparison tommorow evening at a sevenoaks hifi round the corner from my office. I will post my impressions.

use opinions/reviews to make a shortlist and go and listen then.

hope that lot helps!

Jim

5. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sorry, the center speakers are always shielded! My Mistake!

6. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to some B&W's 601s and KEF's Q range yesterday. I have to day that the B&W seemed more detailed. Perhaps it was me I dont know but they are both about the same price. The KEFS are shielded which is a bonus.

I am edging towards the 601's though.

Dave

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like them, go for it!

I'm not considering the B&W's as they have failed the WAF test due to being a big ugly box - have to say I agree though...

Jim

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also looking at the missions and the tannoy mx speakers but after listening to them was not over impressed!! after lots of demo's and hair loss i bought a set of celestions f series speakers for £320 from richersounds and they sound superb would highly recommend you listen to them

Mike

9. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill give them a listen.

The B&W's are a little more than I wanted to pay, and Im showing the wife on Saturday so I suppose ill get the ok or not then. I am still thinking hard about the KEF Q's though. Perhaps I listened to them in a hurry...I dont know...they certainly look good.

Ill try to arrange a listen to the Celestion F's. Thanks

Dave