Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tannoy MXAV4 replacement help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MyBoxLife, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Newbie Alert!

I've owned a Tannoy MXAV4 setup (MX4, MX1, MXC) for the last four years, driven by a Sony STR DB-1070 receiver, a year or so back, I managed to damage the voice coils on all four drivers off the front MX4s, who knows how :confused:, now my receiver, of late, goes into 'Protect' mode when I crank-up the volume into the 30s :(, IT'S TIME FOR A DECENT AV SYSTEM AGAIN!

I checked with Tannoy UK, about a year back, for replacement drivers, and was quoted £30 odd each, I take it this is all I'd have to replace?

Been totally out of the (Never have really been in ...) 'in the know how' loop, so would appreciate some advice, before spending my hard earned cash, do I get the MX4s fixed, or should I be looking at other speakers, is the receiver saying it's last goodbye's?

Cheers!

2. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Anybody care to comment, I'm sure there's enough knowledge on here to at least give me some direction?

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I'd get the Tannoys repaired. They are still very good speakers and you could do a lot worse buying new budget speakers.

All your speakers are "damaged and the amp goes into Protection mode" ??

Get your Sony serviced. Perhaps the amp is faulty? Whatever you do, don't try any other speakers on the amp until you get it checked out. :lesson:

4. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Springboks :thumbsup:, you also South African?

It's just the drivers on the fronts that have damaged voice coils, the rest are mint, and, although the fronts still produce sound, it's awful, and gets worse with time. The receiver goes into protect mode only when I run it at a higher volume, i.e. in the 30s, which I've gotten into a habit of doing because of the lack of performance from the fronts. Hope the latter makes sense :rolleyes:.

Just had a word with Tannoy UK, and they've quoted me £48.01 plus VAT, each driver, plus £5.00 P&P, that's £230.65 all in :eek:. Now I'm thinking that I'd only need to replace the drivers?

Now I'm thinking, saving the expense of £230.65, and adding a possible £80 from the sale of the MX1s and MXC, would give me roughly £300 towards a new system, but what, and how much more would it cost for a noticeable improvement over the Tannoy MXAV4s?

5. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    After much searching, am 90% decided on the following, but will like to hear comments from M/S 900 owners, and whether anybody thinks I can do better for the money:

Mordaunt-Short 908 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short 902 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short 905 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short MS309

All in for just short of £880!

These will be fed by a Sony STR-DB1070, for both music and movies.

6. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    I had the M/S Premier Plus system and decided to upgrade the front and centre speakers to the Avant 900 range. I got the 905 centre and would have been prepared to get the 908 as left and right. However, where I bought them from advised me, that because I had the 309 sub, the extra base from the 908 would be too much and suggested I got the 906, which I did. I wasn't able to demo them, so don't know if that was the case, but I'm very pleased with sound and have no regrets of making that decision. BTW I'm feeding it from a Yamaha RX-V1500, if that makes a difference.

7. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks dicklodge, so the M/S MS309 is probably a bad idea, I expect then that the M/S 909W is the Sub to complete the speakers in question, but more than double the price of the MS309 :(, that would take me above 1K, serious outlay to justify at the moment.

8. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    No. What the supplier was telling me, was that as I had the MS309 Sub, I didn't need the 908s ---- the 906s coupled with the 309 would give enough bass (and having the 908s would sound TOO bassy)

This combination would save you money; you would have:

Mordaunt-Short 906 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short 902 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short 905 Avante
    Mordaunt-Short MS309

As I said, I didn't compare the two (906 & 908) so can't comment on the difference, just that I am well pleased with my setup. I can't see the supplier discouraging me to spend an extra £150 if that would have produced a better sound

9. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the MS908s, 905c, 903s and 309 sub.

I have done some frequency sweeps on the 908s and they go VERY low. However I do not find the 908, 309W combo to be too bassy. In fact they really compliment each other well.

The reason I went for the 908s were because it has clear highs and mids, solid bass and great a very wide soundfield. Everything from rock to classics sound great on them, but they really shine when playing accoustical guitar music. Oh yes, another reason for buying them was that the wife liked their appearance - they do not look overpowering, but fit in rather nicely-VERY IMPORTANT the WAF!

10. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Glad someone with that combination was able to comment, because, as I said, I hadn't been able to compare the 906s and 908s.

11. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for your comments, got to get the wallet out soon. :)

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I would first of all focus on the amp. The Sony probably caused the problem. I used to have one of these and they were good basic amps but they can be easily be bettered for cheap money. I would suspect that adding new speakers may well result in these facing damage from the amp unless it is repaired or replaced

13. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Any suggestions, Amp. wise, Londondecca, thinking back to a conversation I had with somebody at Richer Sounds, a couple of days back, re. trading my Amp. in for something better, but within the same price range, I was told that the Sony STR-DB1070 is very highly rated for the money, and that he didn't expect there would be many of them knocking around, second hand, which prooves he's comments? Also, a service ought to cost me roughly £30, if the Amp. is faulty, I'd expect them to pick it up, or am I being too gullible?

It seems, as of an hour ago that the M/S 900s will have to take a back seat, as I've been offered a set of KEF's; 2x Q5, 2x Q1, and Q9C, second hand, supposedly in very good condition, for £450. Some suggestions as to what kind of questions I should be asking, so as to avoid being stung, would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!