1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy mx4 and Tannoy mercury mx4-m

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by duncanvdlinden, Dec 15, 2002.

1. duncanvdlinden

duncanvdlinden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is exatly the difference between these two?
    I can buy the mx4 cheaper and faster delivey than the mx4-m.

And how do they like the speaker?

I think i buy this because i like the mx2-m sound but haven't enough bass.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think that the difference is the finish of the speaker. My MX's are in Maple so I think that's what the M means

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    FYI this thread should really be in the Speakers forum not the Amps forum but anyway:

The difference is that the MX-M range (which came out this year) is the replacement for the older MX range so it's no surprise the MXs are cheaper as they are the old model. All MX and MX-M speakers are available in either Maple or Dark Oak finishes.

What the technical differences between the MX and MX-M range are I don't know but visually the older MXs have white colored bass drivers (with a black centre) and the newer MX-Ms are just all black. It seems like the build quality on the MX-Ms is a lot better too. I believe the speaker grilles on the MX-Ms are also a more conventional dark colour rather than the grey of the MXs.

For what it's worth my speakers are all from the MX range, MX3 fronts, MX2 rears and an MXC centre. The MX3 (so presumably also the MX3-M) has pretty good bass, especially if you remove the foam bungs on the front facing ports.

Michael.

4. AlexF

AlexF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the differences of these 2 ranges is in the material of the bass driver units. In Mx seria it is a ceramic coated driver (of white color like Infinity Alfa has) producing a little bit metalic sound. And Mx-M seria has soft paper domes which sound more natural and vivid as for me.

5. YtramC

YtramC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to be picky, but it is in the speakers forum!

6. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    At the time I wrote my reply it was in the amps forum. The moderators must have moved it here since then :)

Michael.

7. duncanvdlinden

duncanvdlinden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,

are the mx4 also easy to drive as the mx4-m?,
    i've read that in the advertisement from the mx4-m :)

in the tannoy.com specs i can't read the differences between the bass units.
    both ceramic coated paper cone :confused:

8. tktran

tktran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MX-M range are all magnetically shielded. Which means you don't have to worry about your speakers' magnetic fields interfering with other equipment like your television.

The only speaker in the older MX range that was magnetically shielded was the MXC centre speaker.

Secondly manufacturing has moved to Malaysia (instead of Taiwan.)

Gone is the option of the light maple finish, with a cherry finish instead (looks classier?). They've also moved back to a black grill and black drivers. Kind of reminiscent of the M series.

Other than that the MX-M is the same as the MX.

I guess the capital M suffix is suitable- Malaysia and magnetically shielded.