1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy MX2/ Kef Q35.2/Mission 773e Review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Big Jim, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I auditioned the above speakers last night, and I thought I would do a quick mini-review...

They were connected to an all Marantz system - 6000 amp and cd player - and auditioned as a stereo pair.

I heard the MX's first and while they were OK, the bass was thin and overall they sounded rather muffled, and did not bring out the detail fo the recording. Build quality wise, they are awful, with the veneer looking cheap to start with, and looking far worse on ones that I have seen in shops that have been used for a bit.

The Kefs were much better - though perhaps not by as much as I was expecting, it wasn't night and day or anything. Sound wise they brought out more detail with a rich enleloping sound, and the bass was much fuller (not a big surprise as they are floorstanders). Build quality was immaculate.

The Missions were also very nice, with the same sort of comments as the kef's regarding the improvement over the tannoy's. Compared to the Kef's they emphasised the higher frequencies a bit more, making them sound clearer and more detail. Build quality was also immaculate - and I prefer the styling.

In case you get the idea I'm an expert or something - that was the first lot that I have got round to listening to. Hope this helps some of you though.

Cheers

Jim

2. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, having been rudely disconnested, i'll start again

i am not faimiliar with each of the specific pieces of equipment, however, i expect the tannoy's to have an 8 ohm impedence.

i dont think this will cause any problems to your very low 3ohm impedence on the amp, i believe difference in impedence only causes a problem if the speakers have a lower impedence than the amp.

although i'm not entirely sure

hope this helps a little

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eh?!?

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Have you listerned to the B&W speakers...??
    I was looking at the other 3 you mention, but did not go listerning....i couldernt seem to get the tannoys anywhere local and these were going to be my first choice...i looked at the mission but didernt like the look of them....i then went and had a look and a talk about the kef's, i was considering the cresta range but then we got talking about the B&W range....now i've always liked the look of the B&W's and the post's i have seen about them have always been pretty good...i was told that for an extra couple of hundred quid i could get the 602's, 601's and CC6 and they would sound a lot better than the kef's, so not haveing any time for a demo and in a bit of a rush (wife and kids waiting outside the shop in the cold) I brought the 601's and the CC6,buying either the 602's or 603's when fund's get back up.
    Now i must admit that they sound good to me..but up untill now i have only ever listerned to speakers that come with hifi's.....but i have always wondered what the others would of sounded like and weather i made the right choice?

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I haven't listened to the B&W's due to them being rejected as far too ugly by my wife!

Jim

6. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the 601's and CC6.

I dragged my dife into my local hi-fi shop and made her listen to them. It was a toss up between Mission 771's and 601's. I have to say I thought the 771's were fantastic, great build, real venear and all that.

But I thought the 601's sounded better. And they did, much more detailed...even the wife thought so. After careful thought she agreed on the B&W's. After all thats what there there for. In a strange sort of way they look quite "cool" almost very seventies looking, whilst the Missions are definate 90's.

I noticed Hi Spek banging these out at £159 a pair now why didnt I see this last week. The B&W's are about to go up to £230 I believe in the very near future. I got mine for £180.

Still it does the local economy good I suppose.

Whatever you end up with youll think they are great.

I suggest that when you listen take a copy of saving private ryan, if your not hiding behind the setee after the opening chapter then they are not the right speakers. I also think that the opening battle in gladiator is pretty good, but with SPR you can amost feel the bullets wizzing past you ears.

I have been demoing this to everyone who has visited me for the last week. They are just blown away.

Dave