1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy MSub10...any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tan1415, May 16, 2001.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have the opportunity to acquire this sub for around 150 GBP.
    That's half the price of my next choices Yst W 320 and a third of a rel.

The test by home entertainement compares this sub favorably to a rel q50.
    If so this sub must be a steal.
    I just have soem question marks about the sub it self. I send messages to Tannoy..but they have still not taken the effort to answer. So i am hoping that somone here can help me out.

First: My setup are Kef speakers(q50 F, Q10 rear and ref 100 C wit strdb 940)
    Will this sub be a good addition?

Second:Like i said this sub was compared to the Q50 favaourably. But unlike the 320 or the q50...the range for this sub starts at 35 hz!!! while the other two start at 20 hz according to the specs.
    How can this be? i thought all the serious subs are able to play from 20 HZ.
    What does this mean for the sound? i mean my fronts are able to go to 40 hz. What can i expect from a sub that can only go down to 35HZ. Does this mean that the sound lower than that will still not be able to come out?

well i hope you can help me out ,because this sure confuses me. I hope you can diregard my poor english.

2. Dickie Wrist

Dickie Wrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also interested in this Subwoofer, but because of limited room it has to go near the TV. Does anyone know whether this is magnetically shielded, and if not can anyone recommend a similar priced (<£250) subwoofer that is?

Thanks

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Tannoy MxSub 10 and its a fantastic sub. Its a little bigger than the old MSub10. The sub is not sheilded, but i have mine about 0.5 meters away from my TV and it causes not bad effects on the TV. If i do move it any closes i do start to notice some bad things.

The sub is quite deep, but needs a few weeks of solid use to get it to optimal performance. I have my sub on 1/3 volume and its too loud for my room. :) Some movies you might need to turn it up and some you'll need to turn it down.

4. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the MSUB10 you can check out the photos on my site to see how close it is to my tv, it's pretty close and has had now effect on the TV in about 10 months so it should be ok.

It's an excellant sub too!

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys,

i know it's an subwoofer with an excellent reputation. Whjat i would like to know is how the fact that it can only go down to 35 hz effect it's performance when you use it with big frontspeakers.

6. lifter

lifter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using mSub10 with my front NAD 802 speakers. I had to set the crosover frequency at about 60 Hz on sub. 35 Hz isn´t a problem (since your room defines low frequency dispersion), but you can´t set crossover frequency under 50 Hz. The result could be a boomy bass response. If you have big front speakers (that go under 50 Hz) you probably need bigger sub (bigger and better). In my case mSUB10 sounds great.