1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tannoy monitors

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by origins, Dec 7, 2004.

1. origins

origins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking at getting a pair of tannoy system 1200 or 15 dmt studio monitors for my home audio, pros and cons of being monitors ??? I believe they sound amazing and are good value. also heard trhat monitors not for home audio Any one have in opinions

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The monitor sound isn't suitable for everybody but if you have heard them and think that "they sound amazing and are good value" then they are obviously right for you so go ahead and buy them.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As an aside, if you into the monitor sound the make that everyone is talking about is Genelec.

If you are within reach of Guildford, forum sponsors PJ Hifi are Genelec dealers and they seem to be selling quite a few sets to forum members who are all raving about them.

I am even harbouring thoughts of changing my own M&K speakers for Genelec so will probably be making a trip to Guildford myself in the near future

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Not sure about the Tannoys but the Genelecs are very good monitors for both music & HT. :)

5. nortonl

nortonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have System 12 DMTs.

While they are very revealing, they are not 'in your face' - you can listen loud all day without fatigue maybe due to the lack of distortion. I've owned loads of hi-fi speakers over the years including some upmarket Tannoy's and now I think they're all deeply flawed. If I were buying new, I'd try the 15s which are the only DMT available now (apart from the massive 215s). Nothing stands out in particular - they are very good at everything (except extreme bottom end kick/grip - no Isobarik gut wrenching).

Having heard the following (not in the same system/at the same time) but I'd keep the Tannoys over any of them on the impressions I have:
    JM Lab Grande Utopia
    B&W Nautilus 801
    ATC SCM 50 & 100A
    Tannoy D500*
    Linn Isobarik active & passive*
    Naim SBL*
    Naim DBL*
    Ruark Excalibur
    Quad ESL57*
    Sonus Faber Signum*
    Linn Keltic
    Tannoy TDM10
    *Models I've owned

The only real problem is the looks.

6. Justhandguns

Justhandguns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just looked at the Tannoy website, it looks like they have taken off the System series from the shelf and put them into the archive section. The System 15 and the other in the series are very good speakers, like nortonl has said. They are above average in almost all kind of applications. They are good in clarity and good in reproducing live atmospheres or feel. I am not sure about Genelec though, but I know that even the smallest Genelec can produce some amazing volumes without any distortion. I have tried out the Genelec in a studio equiment shop, it did not impress me a lot though. In my opinion, the Tannoy maybe more suitable for home usage.

The last piece of my opinion is that, if you are looking for warm feel in listening to music or some loud bassy movie explosion, forget about the monitors then. But if you like listening to the most original sound from the movies or music recordings, just go for the monitors.