Tannoy Mercury V4

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Snakerville, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Snakerville

Snakerville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am hoping someone can help me. I have just received a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 after reading some amazing reviews and people giving it 5 out of 5 etc.

I have hooked them up to my Sony STR-DH510 and I am completely underwhelmed by the bass that these are supposedly able to produce.

After reading reviews etc I was expecting to be blown away by these speakers. People were say about how the bass is tight, deep and punchy but I am not hearing any of this. My old small cheap Xenta computer speakers (speakers only, no sub) from ebuyer kick out more bass than these and they are worth about £5.

Am I missing something here because I am completely gutted?

I would appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks
    Simon

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Have you run the speakers in? The bass should open up over time.
    Have you checked the jumper bars at the back of the speakers. Are they tight across both sets of terminals?
    Does your receiver have auto setup? If so have you run it? If it does not have you set the speakers to large in the receiver? Do you have a sub?

3. Snakerville

Snakerville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the reply. The jumper bars are tight yes. I have run auto setup and also changed settings manually but cannot get the speakers to sound any better. I have had to turn the bass eq up to +10 (max) just to hear a smidgen of bass. I do have a sub (Jamo 210) but tend not to use it because it's not that great.

I took one of my tannoy's round to my friends to compare it to one of his Mission M73 speaker's and his Mission blew mine out the water considerably.

Thanks

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Hard to diagnose without hearing what you are hearing but they do not sound right at all. I would double and triple check the jumper bars and even undo them and reseat them just in case. You could even try replacing them with some speaker cable just to be sure.
    What amp did you friend have that you tried them on? Are the speakers set to large on your amp?
    The rating of the speaker would suggest a reasonable bass response so they should compare well to the Missions. The fact they are not with assumably the same amp would suggest an issue somewhere. Are the bass cones actually moving when you play anything through the speakers? You may need to send them back as they could be faulty.

5. Snakerville

Snakerville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friends amp is the same model as mine. When I get home I will double check the jumper bars but I have already had them out and back in a few times. The speakers are set to 'large' at the moment. I changed them to 'small' for comparison and it made no difference.

The bass cones do move, when i did a low volume bass sweep test they were moving fine and looked normal. When I did this bass test no bass could really be heard when standing in front of the speakers but the bass was very good when standing behind the speakers.

I have these speakers in a dj setup so the speakers are away from the wall by about a 1.5 meters. They sound ok where I am standing (the DJ) behind the speakers, but zero bass when standing in front.

Thanks
    Simon

6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Did you try your amp with your friends speakers?
    Being the same amp, i would expect his missions to sound just the same as if were on his amp.

What speakers were you using before?

I've heard the V4's and they have plenty bass but they were driven by a more powerful av and a stereo amp (not at the same time obviously) which makes me think the speakers are not the problem and reckon its the amp. It's pretty much sony's entry level av and don't think they are up to the job of driving those V4's.

if you could try them on a different av amp or a stereo amp then see if they still are still bass light. If so, then you may have a problem with the V4's

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  7. philbot

philbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    check was crossover you've selected on the amp?

8. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Also on the av amp, what are the front speakers set to - small or large?

If small (which is normal and recommended for a x.1 setup), then this could be the reason why the V4's sounds bassless.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    As a simplest first step, when you test the speakers, use them in 2.0, or in Pure Direct or whatever the equivalent is on your amp. Pure Direct bypasses the Tone Controls and all the Digital Processing, and should let you hear purely your speakers.

If the speakers have jumper bars, make sure they are in place and making good contact.

There are too many variable that we can't know or control to say very much about it.

It is possible that there is a problem with the speakers, but far more likely the problem is that you are doing something wrong.

If you want to hear full-range from the speakers, then you have to feed them a full range signal which switching to 2.0 or Pure Direct will do.

As an extension of the above, if the crossovers internal to your amp are removing low frequencies from the speakers, then obviously you aren't going to hear low frequencies.

If you have wire one of the speaker backwards, then the speakers are not going to sound their best. In every case, the RED(+) of the amp MUST go to the RED(+) of the speaker.

As to the Jumper Bars, I'm curious which of the speaker terminals you are connected to. Usually the lower Red/Black are for the woofers, try connecting directly to these lower terminals and see if the bass comes back. If it does, then you definitely have a problem with the Jumper Bars. The Lower RED terminal should be jumpered to the Upper RED Terminal and equally Black to Black. Make sure BOTH Jumper Bars are there, in place, and making good contact. That' BOTH Jumper Bars must be there and making good contact.

If you place you fingers gently on the Bass Cone while music is playing, can you feel it moving?

Steve/bluewizard

10. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had these speakers for about 3 weeks and the bass response is awesome,there can only be two things wrong.
    1-You've got a duff pair of speakers(highly unlikely)
    2.You've got the settings wrong on your amp.
    My amp is the Sony STR-DN1040 and i have the bass setting on zero and it sounds well punchy.
    I'm sure you will suss out the problem soon,and hear the full potential of these great speakers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  11. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Have you wired the speakers up 'out of phase'? That'll 'cancel' out the bass considerably.......

Check all wired that are going from the +ve terminal on he amp reach the or react terminal on both speakers.

Room acoustics and peaked positions can affect bass response too.....move the speaker closed to rear wall and see if it helps???