Tannoy Mercury V1 Bookshelf Speakers

FlyingOrganismz

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some new speakers. It is likely I'll either go for Tannoy Mercury V1s or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. Any experience with them? They'd be for a medium sized bedroom and primarily for listening to music (of very varied kinds).

Thanks in advance.

I have similar problem.
I want to buy AVR Denon 2312 (new model, available june/july 2011) or Onkyo TX-NR609 and set up 5.0 home cinema speakers which I will also use for stereo listening of music.
But, in the whole Europe is problem to listen to any Tannoy, except UK... :( I think Tannoy is not so well known in people in "old Europe" and studios are offering commonly known speakers - Wharfedales, Cantons, B&W, Heco,..that is all.... :(

Yesterday I was in studio and guy there plays me from Denon receiver B&W CM1 bookshelfs (419e / piece) and I was impressed. Very clean music and even that also deep. Then he switched to Canton floorstands (the cheapest GLE 470.2 I think, but not sure), but the sound was really different and not for me, it sound like when you are speaking with stuffy nose, nasal. I really dont like it.

What kind of sound can I expect from Tannoy Mercury V4, V1??? :lease:

Tannoy speakers are regarded as warm sounding so more commonly recommended for brighter sounding recievers like Onkyo/Sony/Pioneer. Denon recievers are also warm sounding so may not be the best pairing with the Tannoys. This can lead to an overly warm sound which can lack detail (B&W speakers are regarded as bright sounding so pair well with Denon).
To the OP what reciever do you have or looking at getting? Both Tannoy and Wharfedale are warm sounding so pair (in general) better with brighter sounding recievers.

Tannoy speakers are regarded as warm sounding so more commonly recommended for brighter sounding recievers like Onkyo/Sony/Pioneer. Denon recievers are also warm sounding so may not be the best pairing with the Tannoys. This can lead to an overly warm sound which can lack detail (B&W speakers are regarded as bright sounding so pair well with Denon).
To the OP what reciever do you have or looking at getting? Both Tannoy and Wharfedale are warm sounding so pair (in general) better with brighter sounding recievers.

Looking at the Denon DM38DAB. Got a £300 budget for hifi and speakers.

I would suggest looking at Monitor Audio BR1s to pair with that. These can be bought for £99 now so a dood price.

So you recommend to buy Tannoy Mercury V4 with Onkyo TX-NR609?
And later rest of 5.0 set (pair of V1 as back speakers, VC).

Onkyo is second choice for receiver, still not bought yet, I am waiting for release of new Denon's (I think 1912 will be enough for me) and still finding "the best" combination. The problem is that in Germany (Frankfurt) there is no studio where I can listen to Tannoy Mercury V. Only higher product lines..

The Tannoy V series and Onkyo 609 should be a good pairing together.

Thanks for help.
Still will try to find any store in Frankfurt area where I can listen to them.

If it helps I have had the Tannoy F4's and F1's connected to my Onkyo 578 and they match very well indeen

Unbelievable...
I wrote an e-mail to Tannoy distributor for Germany and ask him, if he can tell me where in Frankfurt is possible to listen to V4. He replies me in four-five days that he makes an agreement to sent a pair of V4s to the studio where I have been (but only higher product lines from Tannoy were available) for demo, so at the end of this week I can go there again to listen them!! :thumbsup: GREAT SERVICE!
Hopefully I will be satisfied also with the sound. I will prepare demo CD and listen to them also from Onkyo and also from Denon.
Will post my impressions...

Today I have been in hifi studio where german distributor sent Tannoy Mercury V4 for listening. I have to say that they were completely new, just today unpacked, so maybe it was the first time they played at all anything.

About the sound.
Firstly was connected Denon stereo receiver. The sound was nice, but I miss there something. Basses were like hidden behind the heavens curtain or some heavy textil material. They were there, but not clear. The sound was shallow, maybe as was said in this topic "overwarmed" as Denon is warm receiver and Tannoy warm speakers.. I dont like this combination too much.

Unfortunately in hifi studio they did not have Onkyo receiver (I know, Onkyo is today not a "hifi" part, its more consumer goods). So the sound source was changed to NAD stereo receiver and I was impressed. Heavens curtains was completely stripped and basses were clearly there. Also the whole sound was more clear. Listening to live performance of "Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah" pushed me into chair, I was like on real concert. Also performance of "Rhapsody of Fire - Sea of Fate" has power, clear presence of every tone.

So, I want to ask you, is NAD also brighter receiver, like Onkyo?
Does it have similar sound like Onkyo??
Then I have no problem to listen combination of Onkyo-Tannoy Mercury V.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom