Question Tannoy Mercury M5 - Driver Replacement

9Cows

Novice Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I bought a pair of Tannoy Mercury M5 (Cherry) - in pretty banged up condition - cosmetically, from a 'Japanese Expat's' garage sale. The speakers however, showed no signs of any driver issues and I got them pretty cheap at around $100 - this was in 2016.

Now, almost 4 years down the line - these speakers have developed a strange noise - tweeter being the culprit. My first step was to try and contact Tannoy for either the Spec sheet or a replacement tweeter, after multiple failed attempts, I tried to look things up and this is all I could find online :
■ PERFORMANCE
Power Output: 10 ~ 140W
Continuous power handling 105 Watts RMS
Sensitivity 92dB (2.8Volts @ 1 metre)
Nominal impedance 8 Ohms
Frequency response 32Hz - 20kHz + / - 3dB
■ DRIVE UNITS
2 Way 3Speaker
-200mm coated paper cone woofer x 2
-25mm soft-dome tweeter
■ CROSSOVER
Frequency 2.6kHz mid / bass to high frequency400Hz low frequency to mid / bass
Type Acoustic Linkwitz-Riley crossover
■ CONSTRUCTION
Enclosure type Front ported reflex
* HWD: 950 x 244 x 271.5mm
* Weight: 16kg

Questions -
1 - If I want to replace the tweeters - what are my options - provided there is no documentation on what the originals are?
2 - I do not have the know-how of working with cross-overs, will any aftermarket replacement tweeter, even the ones, that are extremely closely matched, require me to tinker with the CO?
3 - Suggestions for a decent or perhaps a little better, tweeter, if anyone knows these speakers well?
4 - If you guys want any other information, please let me know - I would try and locate.

I use a Sansui AU 217 MKII to drive these!

All your help and time is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Update - I have also written to parts express tech - for suggestions on OEM replacement or if the OEM replacement or even a close match is not possible, to just suggest something that can go into the cabinet + a pre-built CO to suggest. Perhaps will need an all driver replacement, but that is just a lot more to bite than I want to chew!

Hi! I'm in the exact same situation, what did you end up getting?
Do you at least know if the tweeter's impedance is 6 or 8 ohm? The DC resistance on mine was 4.6ohm, which seems quite low for an 8ohm tweeter.
Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom