Tannoy Mercury M3 what spikes ?

Gregsta

Established Member
Reaction score
When I bought these about a year back they come with no spikes I have just bought a marantz 6004 amp, and I now want to get the best sound out of them I can, what size spikes do I need? :cool:

Last edited:
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Are the bottoms of the speakers drilled and tapped to accept Spikes?

Spikes are generally a standard size, I believe, M6 or M8, and there are many aftermarket Spikes available -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=speaker+spikes

As long as the thread size is the same, any of these Spikes should work fine.

Steve/bluewizard
The m6 m8 stands for the size of the thread I think, I have bought some before and they were the wrong thread. I don't know what size the thread is that you screw the spikes into.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have just purchased the m6 as the m8 did not fit last time. Figures crossed they should fit as I don't see any other sizes and thank you for your help.:clap:

Go to the hardware store, buy an M6 bolt and an M8 bolt, see which one fits, then you know which one to buy.

Though I can't imagine why they would be, it is possible they are American fractional inch threads, though which I can't be sure which.

Steve/bluewizard

They turn up this morning and fit perfectly the m6 bolt lol I only ordered 4 what a stupid idiot I am :thumbsdow

They turn up this morning and fit perfectly the m6 bolt lol I only ordered 4 what a stupid idiot I am :thumbsdow

It's 4 per speaker, Greg!

Well done on getting the right size anyway.:smashin:

It's 4 per speaker, Greg!

Well done on getting the right size anyway.:smashin:

I just bought the other 4 am not 100% sure if they sound better the speakers with them on, I am in the smallest room in my house and its a bit tight in here. but it will stop them booming along the floorboards into my neighbours house. Thank god the walls are thick in my house.

I just bought the other 4 am not 100% sure if they sound better the speakers with them on, I am in the smallest room in my house and its a bit tight in here. but it will stop them booming along the floorboards into my neighbours house. Thank god the walls are thick in my house.

Greg - quick tip for you if you're prepared to spend a little more money:

Results for granite chopping boards in Home and garden, Cooking, dining and kitchen equipment, Kitchenware, Chopping boards

Buy two and put one under each speaker. It really does tighten up the Bass and sharpen up the sound. And I think Argos have a 30 day Returns policy, so if you can't hear any difference you can just take them back for a refund.

I use granite chopping boards under all my speakers (Hi-Fi, Home Cinema, kitchen system, desktop PC) and would always recommend a demo.

Results for granite chopping boards in Home and garden, Cooking, dining and kitchen equipment, Kitchenware, Chopping boards

Buy two and put one under each speaker. It really does tighten up the Bass and sharpen up the sound. And I think Argos have a 30 day Returns policy, so if you can't hear any difference you can just take them back for a refund.

I use granite chopping boards under all my speakers (Hi-Fi, Home Cinema, kitchen system, desktop PC) and would always recommend a demo.

I am thinking about upgrading my speaker cable first to maybe some of this QED Signature Revelation Speaker Cable, I am using Van Damme Blue Series Studio what OK not 100% sure if the other will make that much different's but thanks for the thumbs up.

I am thinking about upgrading my speaker cable first to maybe some of this QED Signature Revelation Speaker Cable, I am using Van Damme Blue Series Studio what OK not 100% sure if the other will make that much different's but thanks for the thumbs up.

Hi Greg

I'd recommend that you check out previous Threads regarding speaker cable before you make a decision. In my opinion, what you have is fine for your needs and changing won't make much if any difference, but it's up to you.

This person, in direct side-by-side comparison thought Van Damme sounded better than QED -

Speaker Cable Sound Difference

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Greg

I'd recommend that you check out previous Threads regarding speaker cable before you make a decision. In my opinion, what you have is fine for your needs and changing won't make much if any difference, but it's up to you.

I could anmangen
This person, in direct side-by-side comparison thought Van Damme sounded better than QED -

Speaker Cable Sound Difference

Steve/bluewizard
I noticed when I have read through a few threads,they seems to like this cable so am going stick with what I have got.

I just fitted the other spikes as they arrived this morning and it made ton of different's to the sound like I said its very tight in this room and hard to hear the other speaker but the one I just fitted the spikes to, are position behind me as I am sitting at my computer desk. Very sweet sound coming from my HI Fi now very happy:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom