Tannoy hts101 and 5.0

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by StefanBFC, Jul 14, 2015.

1. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Help needed with this system please, may come across as a silly question.

Is the only difference between the Tannoy 5.0 system and the Tannoy hts101 5.1 system, the latter comes with a sub? Apart from that are they exactly the same.
    Thanks.

2. wrench86

wrench86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    lol don't worry we all start somewhere, but yes the .1 refers to the subwoofer. the hts101 system as the same speakers as the hts 5.0 system.

3. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks for the help Wrench, just purchased the hts system. First home cinema set up (finally getting away from all in one) probably the best reviewed speakers in my budget.. Spending more on the receiver, I know it's the wrong way around but wanted atmos for future proofing really.

4. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I'd have gone for a better speaker system. By the time you add ceiling speakers, you'd have bought a new AVR, but you're stuck with the speakers.

5. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    To be honest I wanted too, but my budget is tight, I looked at the monitor mass, but I couldn't afford those and a atmos receiver, I picked the hts for 180 brand new, couldn't refuse that. Wife was having a whinge about the size of speakers so had to pick a decent size. They are decent from what I've heard??
    I was looking to spend around 500 on the receiver, the ceiling speakers I can only go for two, (wife won on this one) I didn't want to spend more than 700 to be honest, but it's probably gonna stretch to around 1000. Any ideas, help is appreciated with what reciever would suit, I'm moving into a new home in September so I've a few months to hang on see if prices fall slightly

6. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    tbh if £180 was your speaker budget I'd have just gone stereo. Spending £500 on a AVR with £180 for 5.1 speakers doesn't make sense.

As for size of the speakers lol

Attached Files:

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Are you planning on getting the ceiling speakers soon?
    AVR technology moves much quicker than speakers hence spending more money on speakers makes more sense on the basis that a good speaker now will still be a good speaker in 5+ years times. Whereas an AVR would have been superseded several times in that period with new 'must have' features like Atmos.
    As above, your budget split just does not make much sense. What sub do you have?

8. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846

Also I'd far choose a better quality 2 channel system over a lesser quality 5.1 system.

I played a movie and it was superb. I then realised I didn't have the sub on, and I had it on 2 channel mode.

9. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks for replies, my budget for the total was around 700.. The speakers are 330 from RS I was just lucky to get some at 180. The sub is with the system, it was 500 new and to be honest the reviews beat a lot of more higher end speakers. I'd always go for 5.1 over stereo, it's mostly for movies. I'd post a link to the reviews but can't on this phone.

I could have spent 500+ on speakers but my budget then wouldn't have stretched to a atmos receiver, need at least 500 for atmos. If that makes sense that's why I've done it this way.
    Ceilings speakers I'm looking at now, ideally 300 ish for a pair. I'm fairly confident this is the right way for my budget really.

10. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thinking of pioneer VSX930 £500
    Monitor audio CT165 £210 for two
    Tannoy HTS 101 £330 (bought for 180)
    £1040 for the lot, over my budget really. I could add to quality front speakers and use the front satalites now as 7.1. So 7.1.2

11. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Do it your own way, I've given advice and you're ignoring it.

Get a cheaper AVR, non atmos, get a 5.1 system put the extra away from the AVR to speakers, if you decide to go atmos after a couple of years (it may flop afterall) then get atmos speakers and a new AVR.

12. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I,appreciate the advice, I'm not ignoring it I'm taking it in, it's just I've already got the speakers, what speakers would you recommend? 18 month old baby friendly and wife happy.. Ha. These are pretty important :)

I just think if I don't go for an atmos receiver now, would I not regret it in 12 months and want upgrade?

13. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    "would I not regret it in 12 months and want upgrade?"

You'll regret not getting better quality speakers more. It's not a upgrade just getting a codec. I would say you would more want to upgrade that would be the speakers and/or subwoofer.

I don't have atmos and I have a much higher end system, and I don't regret it. In fact I lack HDMI. Not a big deal.

If you hear my system in 2 channel only, I bet you would pick it over that Tannoy 5.1 system.

Atmos may fail so why put money into a AVR, rather than a decent speaker system in the first place? Atmos AVR's aren't going anywhere. Also HDMI spec changes ie 4K and whatever the new spec is 2.2 or something?

Instead of buying more, lower quality speakers to get your full 5.1/7.1 + atmos, go fewer speakers but higher quality.

With baby I would probably get speakers with a tough grille like a metal grille, not bare speaker ie LS50 or speaker cloth.

Buy a budget AVR ie Yamaha 3xx or 4xx series, get the best speakers you can (and with £180 I would get standmounts only) then save up for matching center. Then add subwoofer, then add rears.

Even perhaps second hand. You'll get better value that way.

"I could have spent 500+ on speakers but my budget then wouldn't have stretched to a atmos receiver"

Then don't go atmos

With only £180 speaker budget I would not get everything. It's false economy.

FYI I'm also selling front three, they'll be superior to that £180 system

14. StefanBFC

StefanBFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Whats your front 3? I understand all that and it does make sense... I'd have to sell my speakers and possibly upgrade them then, I'd be wanting the full 5.1 though, the budget ain't 180 on speakers, I could go to 500/700

15. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    B&W 601 and CC6. There are plenty of second hand options although if you do buy L/R second hand you want to make sure you get a matching center, which may be a problem. However I bought those big floorstanders above hoping a matching center comes along, even though they're pretty rare...and in fact, one did turn up.

If you buy stereo, or front three now, why would you have to sell them, when you add rears, subwoofer, and atmos speakers? Just sell the AVR, or re-use it. Ie perhaps if you have crappy PC speakers move it to PC audio system.

Just because you want something does not mean you should get it (now) It's like me saying I want dual subwoofers but I only have £400 to spend. Just don't do it, and just buy a single £400 subwoofer.