1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy FX5.1 Speaker Package - any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wozwebs, Nov 13, 2003.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi there, currently looking for a speaker package (black in colour) to go with my Marantz SR4200 and Toshiba SD330 DVD Player and this fits by budget as i've seen them for £239 inc del.

They had a great review in What Video Widescreen Entertainment and here when they were priced at £480 so it looks like a good deal to me. I really wanted the KEF 2005.2 set but just can't stretch to that. My only other experience of 5.1 in the home was with my Videologic Digitheatre DTS which I thought was impressive (got rid as it was just too bulky for the lounge)

This set looks the biz and will be wife friendly so can anyone offer a brief review who has these or had them previously.

Cheers for any advice.

Woz

2. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

I have been looking at these and have seen the reviews you mention. They do look a good deal at the new lower price but I also would like some 1st hand reports if possible.

If you do go ahead I would suggest looking at Vickers Hi Fi website. They are doing a promotion where you get 20% off your purchase in accessories or extra equipment. I am hoping get a 6.1 amp and so will opt for an extra sattelite but you could go for a pair of stands or some speaker cable.

Regards

Paul

3. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Paul,
    Yes thats the site I saw them at. 20% should equate to £48 so a set of stands would be good to be thrown in.

Any reviews?

Cheers

EDIT: Just checked the site and clicked Special Offers and they are down to £199 with £10 del. Even better!!

4. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    anyone listened to these?

5. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Paul - I've just bitten the bullet and gone for a set of these. Vickers didn't have black so I got www.stoneaudio.co.uk to price match including a pair of stands for the total price of £219 all in.

Can't be bad, being delivered Monday so I'll let you know how I get on. Moving house on Wednesday so will give them a whirl at the new place. It's a link detached so I should be able to give them a good blast!!!

6. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Cheers for the tip on Stone Audio - I've just emailed them to see if they will do the same deal for me - thats one xmas pressie sorted if they will!::smashin:

7. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    They were excellent with me and they emailed me back asking to call the store. I did so and ordered although I realised after that Vickers price was £209 and not £219 (but didn't have black though) so I did myself out of a tenner with my bad adding up! :(

Not sure if they would have price matched at £209 anyway and to get a free set uf stands is a great deal anyway. :)

8. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The kit was delivered yesterday - all in £219 inc delivery - well chuffed - Thanks again:smashin:

9. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Nice one mate, I got mine on Monday but with me moving house soon I only tested two of the speakers in replacement for my HI-FI speakers as setting it up fully would have meant cutting the 25m speaker cable up.

From the 2 I tested though they sounded great for their size. Have you rigged it all up as yet? If so give me a report on what they are like set up fully!! :)

Cheers

Woz

10. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've bought them for a xmas prezzie for my folks - they were thinking about getting some nasty bose package that was well overpriced - So I did a bit of research and came up with the tannoy package and the mission fs1 package - It was a toss up between the two but at that price the tannoy wins hands down especially with the stands - I picked up a Pioneer VSC301 from Richer Sounds for £159 last friday - these have had great reviews in the last few weeks at £250 so again another bargain I thought - However it wont be set up till Boxing Day:thumbsdow But I am quite looking forward to setting it up for them and checking it out:smashin: If you get yours set up soon let me know what you think as I cant really find much info on the FX5.1 in the forums so am only really going off tannoys reputation and the few reviews i've found

11. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I will update as soon as I get it set up. I was flicking the Home Cinema mags in Smiths yesterday and the FX 5.1 was in a test with 4 other speaker packages (it was the cheapest ofthe five) and it came third overall in the testing with an 80% rating. It even beat the new KEF KHT1000 set which surprised and delighted me. This was all at the RRP of £480 aswell.

Looks like we've got ourselves a great deal.

12. plonky

plonky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What store did they price match? The deal at Vickers didn't include stands did it?

13. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The deal at Vickers includes 20% of the purchase price for accessories. I basically just asked Stone if they could do me a set + speakers for £219 and they said yes!!

14. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anyone tested these yet?!
    How do you insert the speaker cable on the sattelites? Are they spring clips or will they take banana plugs?

15. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    wozwebs

Any early feedback?

16. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Sorry guys, moving huouse real soon so still in box. Have tested two of the satellites in replacement for my Mordaunt Short Pearl's and they sounded superb. Everything is well packaged and I would have tested the lot but the speaker cable is in one 25m strip so don't want to cut in case it won't fit the new front room.

Will update as soon as it's up. Looks a great deal so far. Sats are quite heavy and look the biz. Even the missus approved!! :)

17. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sorry to say this, but if anyones considering the fx5.1, i would suggest a demo beforehand

the problem with this kit is the subwoofer- its rather boomy and has no crossover adjustment and no provision for spikes

considering you can get the far superior Mordaunt Short Premiere for £300 at bennettsonline.co.uk the Tannoy unfortunately looks a bit stale...
    pity, cos the satellites sound extremely good, reassuringly chunky and they come with wall brackets (and 25m of very thin cable :nono: )

18. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Only problem with the MS kit, apart from it being £80 more expensive without stands, is that it isn't as wife friendly as the Tannoy kit. To be honest, I think it looks a bit too 'boxy' as well.

May sound that bit better, and for £80 more I would expect it to, but as a mere novice venturing into my 1st proper HI-FI based home cinema I think it will do the job for me admirably.

For the HI-FI buff then I guess you are right to warn people off them, but for someone venturing into the HC seperates world for the 1st time then at this price I don't think you can go wrong.

19. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the satellite speakers are amazing worth about £400 on there own, the other £80 that makes up the retail price must be for the packaging cause the sub sounds awful. Tried it as an experiment with a REL quake and suddenly you have a top notch package (even if the sub does cost more than the whole pack?!?)

20. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    just thought I'd tell you all that the system is all now set up and is sounding superb - powered by Pioneer VSX-C301 - very impressed

21. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just ordered a set of these - should be coming around Wednesday when I also hope to pick up a Yamaha HTR5630. Very exited for my first separates system :blush:

Also upgrading from a Digitheatre DTS btw.

22. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well I rigged mine up mid December and am well impressed. Had a house party on NYE and cranked it up really loud for Jools Holland after midnight and the sound was superb via my Marantz SR4200 on Pro-Logic II (Music) and never distorted once. Everyone else agreed they were superb also.

Tried Gladiator DTS and was also superb. This new Link Detached house is great, couldn't have had it on in my old new-build semi!
    :)

Bargain at the price. Need another set of stands now for the rears.

23. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heh, I still stay with my parents :eek: (only 22) but we're in a dettached bungalow - don't have a clue what I'll do (or more to the point what my neighbours'll do) when I move to a crappy one bedroom flat :rotfl:

I have read the sub's deffo the weak link in the FX5.1 setup but is it really that bad? If it's better than the DTS's one then I'll be happy enough (in all honesty, won't be able to tell the difference most likely!).

24. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I can't tell the difference between the sub in this package and that of the Digitheatre DTS package at all. If it sounds good to your own ears then don't worry about comparing. If you did then you'd end up upgrading every other week and spending a fortune!

25. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I'm aware the sub on the Digi DTS isn't perfect (mostly crossover between that and the satellites) but I'm still happy enough with it and it packs more than enough punch!

Will report on Wednesday (if Richers get the 5630's in, that is).

26. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I bought mine for my folks first 5.1 set up and they are absolutely delighted... I do agree the sub could be better but as long as its not cranked up too much then its fine imo... And the sats are excellent... considering the price its an absolute bargain

27. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    anyone know if the sats are magnetically shielded?

28. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yes they are magnetically shielded :)

29. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Goody good :)

I am going to try and demo these soon, also the Aego P5 set which I have also heard good things about.

30. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got mine through this morning, no receiver yet to plug them into though :suicide:

Construction of the kit seems very nice, satellites reassuringly heavy. I got the black set as all my other kit is black - hard to believe such great sound will come out of such small speakers though! Anxiously awaiting tomorrow to try these babies out :)